Waiting for delivery of KLX300R and KLX140G but, have ?

New member here 🙂

I used to race 250 expert class, years ago on a KX250. I have played green, dreamed in green and bled green since I was 13. Wife and I live in Idaho and do seriously off-road (logging roads and cattle/sheep path) camping. We also have two Old Town Topwater kayaks. Had to buy a wider and longer trailer, suited for off-road travel. It is 6 feet wide inside dimension by 12’ in length.The kayaks will take up 18” per side (as I will be building a rack/holder system for them). Wondering if we need to put them in with one facing front and the other facing rear. Just need dimensions not listed anywhere.

Questions are:

1) what are or where can I find the dimensions for the bikes? Not “just” what’s listed ay Kawasaki.com. I need to know width of  each bike at it’s widest point (not handlebar width) I imagine it is the foot pegs or radiator. I have a rail system that I will install but, need to know where. Since we are still awaiting the delivery of our bikes.

2) what are the widths of the front and rear tires? I have to build chocks.

3) In your opinions what is best way (straps, cables, etc.) to secure bikes to anchoring points?  I always just threw straps on the bars and drove on. These roads we take the trailer on are very, unforgiving and the shot on the trailer will bounce at lot. Kayaks are good to go but, worry about bikes lateral movement or twisting the rims.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,

Troy

Well, I ran out and measured my 300r for ya. Shrouds are about 18-18.5” wide, pegs are about 19” and tip to tail about 84”. As far as strapping them down, you might wanna look at the tie down system that mounts below the bike and attaches to the footpegs, but it’s kinda pricey. I use a fork saver, and ratchet tie downs on the handle bars, and have never had a problem. I also have a channel mounted to the wall in my case, to keep the front wheel from turning. Good luck! Congratulations on the bikes, and remember keep the shiny side up. 😊

Edited by Mojave Rider

Mojave Rider, thank you for the reply. I have been able to work with your numbers as well as listed wheelbase, overall length to get everything built/installed on the trailer. I now really wonder where the bikes actually are. I know that Covid has really messed things up everywhere but, dealers don’t even get information from Kawasaki about when each dealer gets their orders? Understandable that everything prior to present is out the window. Just curious about how it is happening nowadays.

Again, thank you 🤘

On 7/9/2020 at 10:53 PM, Troy Murray said:

Mojave Rider, thank you for the reply. I have been able to work with your numbers as well as listed wheelbase, overall length to get everything built/installed on the trailer. I now really wonder where the bikes actually are. I know that Covid has really messed things up everywhere but, dealers don’t even get information from Kawasaki about when each dealer gets their orders? Understandable that everything prior to present is out the window. Just curious about how it is happening nowadays.

Again, thank you 🤘

I was looking at 2021's on random dealer sites and they said "late July".