Bike won't run with choke off.

I wrestled that carb out of the bike, and I took the pilot jet out.
I couldn't see any light through it.
I reamed it with a single bristle from a brass wire brush.
I could see light through it.
Put it back together.

Bike will now run on half-choke. An improvement, I guess.

But still no joy with choke off.

How big is the pilot jet hole supposed to be, anyway? It was superrrrr tiny when I cleaned it. Maybe I didn't clean it all the way?

Any help? Grrrr.

needs more cleaning, clean all the jets and the carb too.  some folks just buy new jets.  I use an utrasonic cleaner and let them sit in there for a while.

I pulled the main and start jets and they're spotless.

I'm hoping running it today for a little bit will have gotten whatever gunk is in there wet with fuel and maybe tomorrow AM it will run okay.

If not, I'll take the pilot jet out again and use some solvent. I really, really thought it was looking clean but it's so small I couldn't tell. I also just don't know how small the hole is supposed to be, so maybe it wasn't as clean as I thought.

Well if I'm buying jets, are there better specced ones for, say, 1000ft above sea level, than stock?
Recommendations?

Also another question...

Are there other small passages that could be clogged, or  is it just the jets. I mean, the jets suck right from the float bowl into the airflow of the carb, so those are really the only passages right?

Also, tips for pushing the airbox back? Damn thing gave me so much troubleeeeee putting the carb back in.

4 hours ago, Greg Mac said:

Also, tips for pushing the airbox back? Damn thing gave me so much troubleeeeee putting the carb back in.

Undo subframe lower bolts and lift subframe up slightly (silencer will need to come off)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Greg Mac said:

This is what you do.

Takes 10 seconds to get the carb off !

Remove the rectifier too. (but not with the hammer!)

20200606_145235.jpg

20200608_225535.jpg

7 hours ago, Greg Mac said:

I wrestled that carb out of the bike, and I took the pilot jet out.
I couldn't see any light through it.
I reamed it with a single bristle from a brass wire brush.
I could see light through it.
Put it back together.

Bike will now run on half-choke. An improvement, I guess.

But still no joy with choke off.

How big is the pilot jet hole supposed to be, anyway? It was superrrrr tiny when I cleaned it. Maybe I didn't clean it all the way?

Any help? Grrrr.

Probably size 22.5 is standard.

That's 0.225mm.

Your airbox looks softer than mine.
Mine has a square pattern all over it and it's tougher and harder than hell. I don't think I'd be able to do the hammer trick.
Subframe bolts would make things easier though!

Just now, Greg Mac said:

Mine has a square pattern all over it and it's tougher and harder than hell. I don't think I'd be able to do the hammer trick.

So many different airboxes. Who would have thought ? 👍

9 hours ago, Greg Mac said:

Well if I'm buying jets, are there better specced ones for, say, 1000ft above sea level, than stock?
Recommendations?

Also another question...

Are there other small passages that could be clogged, or  is it just the jets. I mean, the jets suck right from the float bowl into the airflow of the carb, so those are really the only passages right?

What’s in there now? Did you have good throttle response prior to this problem? If so I’d replace with the same value jets. If not, what condition are you trying to cure? 

The forward and aft boots are rubber for a reason. Don’t be afraid to twist and maneuver the carb to get it in and out. It is easier to move when 90 degrees off center. 

Edited by Gary in NJ

50 minutes ago, Greg Mac said:

So many different airboxes. Who would have thought ? 👍

Hey ive got square ribs too.

Give the hammer a try, at least 🙂

20200710_003709.jpg

5 hours ago, GuyGraham said:

Undo subframe lower bolts and lift subframe up slightly (silencer will need to come off)

+1. You can get more clearance for the air boot by removing the silencer, loosening the bottom subframe bolts, removing the top subframe bolts, and pivoting the subframe back a bit. To get the boot back on the carb, I put a light film of grease on the carb spigot and work around the inside of the air boot with a small screwdriver until the boot is fully engaged.

Just an update.

I must not have cleaned the pilot jet thoroughly enough.

I had a suspicion that after running it, and letting the fresh gasoline in the pilot jet soak into whatever gunk was in it, the next day the bike would run better.

I started it in the morning and it ran much better, as I think the fresh gas acted as a solvent over night.

Then this afternoon I had some time for a ride, and it ran perfectly - I'm thinking the morning start up opened it up more.

Purrs like a kitten. Idles nicely.