No water in the radiator am I ok?

So I took a spill the other day and didn’t notice that my radiator hose disconnected and all the fluid spilled out. Rode another 20 min at least quite hard with no water. Bikes a gasgas 2014 300xc but only has 59 hrs on her. Heard I prob took years off the engine but others said if I don’t hear a “ping” then I’m probably fine. I don’t hear anything. What you guys think? I can’t afford to have someone take it apart to find out, and I don’t have the experience to check it myself. 

thanks guys 

Not good.  Probably hurt it, but no way to tell unless you take the head off and look. Being a 2t, not much to hurt, if you did...

• Like 1

You may have, but bikes are actually quite resilient. If it didn't lock up, or feel like it was dragging hard at any point, you're probably fine. Get someone to do a quick compression check , that won't cost much. If that's ok, you should be ok.

Edited by DEATH_INC.
  • Helpful 1

I rode for half of day 3 of the Romaniacs with no coolant in the rad, it was pinging and hunting at idle. Filled it up at the finish line and rode on for day 4 fine. I also rode it when I got back home and it was still fine. When I got a chance to take it apart and check everything looked good, just put a new ring on it 🙂 

20mins I say you are fine. 

Edited by Neomxdave
  • Helpful 1

I boiled all of the coolant out of my ‘11 EC250E at a race in 2012. Engine definitely got very hot to the point of an almost runaway idle and some detonation. I pulled the pipe to look at the exhaust side of the piston and did find some scoring on the piston skirt. The rings seemed okay but definitely not great so I left it for the rest of the season. When I did the top end over the winter I was surprised to see that even though the piston was in bad shape, the cylinder looked great.

You can get an idea of any possible damage by looking through the exhaust port with a borescope or just a flashlight. You won’t be able to read the piston crown for detonation signs but it will give you an idea of what to expect. 

I think what we're learning here, is that GasGas motors are incredibly resilient lol.

• Like 1