DRZ400SM convert to off-road wheels

Hi all

I’m new here and struggled to search etc. So apologies if going over old ground.

I have an opportunity of purchasing a 2008 SM at a good price but I’d like to have the option of switching to off road use. Used off-road wheels don’t seem to be that available. Are there options of fitting wheels from other models / makes of bike? I’m an engineer so can make spacers etc. Just trying to research easiest / most cost affective options.

Thanks in advance 

Edited by Pete Sprague

54 minutes ago, Pete Sprague said:

Hi all

I’m new here and struggled to search etc. So apologies if going over old ground.

I have an opportunity of purchasing a 2008 SM at a good price but I’d like to have the option of switching to off road use. Used off-road wheels don’t seem to be that available. Are there options of fitting wheels from other models / makes of bike? I’m an engineer so can make spacers etc. Just trying to research easiest / most cost affective options.

Thanks in advance 

Check out new KKE brand wheels on Ebay. Cost effective and bolt on.  Wheelset.jpg.ad48deeae97a93bd6776048ec796ff52.jpg20181101_020608188_iOS.thumb.jpg.d5f34350856371b41fcf4951495a061b.jpg20180808_051625368_iOS.jpg.e78f0b024780da56f36f64c55d667c12.jpg I used a set on my SM until I brought another off road DRZ.

Edited by roleyrev
  • Helpful 1

52 minutes ago, Pete Sprague said:

Hi all

Thanks in advance 

If you are close to jersey I’ll trade you.  new  wheels and tires no scratches or wear. They will bolt right up with your front rotor. Your speedometer will be off unless you change to S Speedo gear

3 hours ago, Rob Pietz said:

If you are close to jersey I’ll trade you.  new  wheels and tires no scratches or wear. They will bolt right up with your front rotor. Your speedometer will be off unless you change to S Speedo gear

SM rear rotor is bigger too

• Like 1

Some more suggestions.  When used the KKE wheel set on the SM I purchase another rotor set a S speedo drive from the local dealership.  I ran the same sized sprocket on both rear wheels so there was not need to change the chain ETC

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Rob Pietz said:

Nice idea but I will want to keep the SM wheels as well 

Recommendation: Keep looking!

Took me about 5 weeks to find some stockers I liked, checking this site, advrider, my local Craigslist, and Ebay. I prefer the polished aluminum, as it stays better looking longer - at least for me.  I like the looks of colored rims, but (for me) they always seem to show scratches and gouges more; YMMV. 

Don't settle for beaters; lost of bent and busted stuff, especially on Ebay.

I ended up with an almost new "S" RW from ADV, and a new "S" FW take-off (0 miles!) from Ebay.  About $300 each wheel; bent/busted/beat-up stuff was not much cheaper.

I also picked up an extra set of SM rotors from ebay.  Those took longer; just picked up the rear rotor today.  You do not really need the extra SM speedo drive, as when you are changing wheels it falls into your hands.  

Another recommendation: Plan on taller bars, or risers, or both. I have 1" TUSK risers and I still need more.  The SM Renthal Fat Bars do not lend themselves to standing up on rough fire roads or trails. 

Good luck!

When looking for OEM used wheel sets, across the E, S, SM lines and model years, are there any compatibility issues?  I just picked up my 2014 S and it has quite aggressive Mitas 754/C-17 tires on it.  DOT, but aggressive.

I might eventually want 2 sets of wheels, one more 50/50, and another with something 80/20 like the Mitas.

Would 2001 E wheels for example bolt onto my 2014 S?  2004 S wheels onto the 2014 S?

24 minutes ago, Tim DTT said:

When looking for OEM used wheel sets, across the E, S, SM lines and model years, are there any compatibility issues?  I just picked up my 2014 S and it has quite aggressive Mitas 754/C-17 tires on it.  DOT, but aggressive.

I might eventually want 2 sets of wheels, one more 50/50, and another with something 80/20 like the Mitas.

Would 2001 E wheels for example bolt onto my 2014 S?  2004 S wheels onto the 2014 S?

Yes they will. Afaik, the hubs have never changed over the years.

6 minutes ago, ptgarcia said:

All wheels fit across all years and models. However, I'm not certain if the kick start only wheels have the tangs to drive the speedo.

That was my thought.  I'd expect they would - why bother with two different hubs.  I'll dig up parts diagrams to see if there is a difference or perhaps the speedo tangs are a bolt-on bracket on the hub.  I haven't done any real research into the matter yet and haven't had the wheel off the bike (owned it for 18 hours at this point).

The tangs are integral to the hub so not something you can add later. But you can install an aftermarket speedo that works by Hall Effect sensor which can easily be added.

1 hour ago, ptgarcia said:

The tangs are integral to the hub so not something you can add later. But you can install an aftermarket speedo that works by Hall Effect sensor which can easily be added.

For sure on the hall sensor - I was thinking more in terms of a 2nd set of wheels to swap on and off, so while of course you could go to an electronic speedo/alternative dash and equip both sets of wheels with sensors, I figured it might be likely that the hub casting is the same for the E and S models.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tim DTT said:

For sure on the hall sensor - I was thinking more in terms of a 2nd set of wheels to swap on and off, so while of course you could go to an electronic speedo/alternative dash and equip both sets of wheels with sensors, I figured it might be likely that the hub casting is the same for the E and S models.

An there are cost effective after market too.  I wasn't able to find OEM so went with some KKE branded off EBAY.  Good wheel set, Ive been using them now for three years.  Some specifications are better than OEM.  I have my more aggressive tires on these and the 20/80's on the OEM Set.  They bolt right in and have the speedo drive. DId i mention they come in black and have CNC'd hubs for that cool look?

KKE's:

869555669_20200309_024254967_iOS(2).jpg.2eeb0e577f9a2ed2f583e43ae7eab25a.jpg

OEM:

299594140_20200401_234624481_iOS(2).thumb.jpg.2302539e16a18b9a3bac3e033574c1d1.jpg

11 hours ago, ptgarcia said:

You CAN add tangs.

I did it to a WRF250 wheel I am running on my DRZ400SMK5.

I used roll pins.

The Yamaha hub is otherwise identical to the DRZ's.

20200508_173748.jpg

Edited by Tony Wyp