Full S to Sm conversion rear shock question

I know they are almost identical shocks. I transferred everything from an SM onto my S, (forks,swingarm,etc) I kept the rear shock from my S on as it’s a pain to get to the upper bolt. Should I just man up and switch it for the S rear shock? 

9 hours ago, Gary in NJ said:

You swapped every thing but the upper shock bolt is where you draw the line on effort???

Lol yeah. It was the last thing to do and at that time was 2am. Havent been back to the garage to work on it again. It just seemed like it was a big job, had to remove battery and box and move somethings around to get in there. I’m def going to change it if it’s that much of a difference. Plus the s shock is black and sm is red. And black goes better with my color scheme

22 minutes ago, Rob Pietz said:

Lol yeah. It was the last thing to do and at that time was 2am. Havent been back to the garage to work on it again. It just seemed like it was a big job, had to remove battery and box and move somethings around to get in there. I’m def going to change it if it’s that much of a difference. Plus the s shock is black and sm is red. And black goes better with my color scheme

Physically, the S shock is longer.  You'll need to run a little extra race sag to get the geometry right.  Whether or not the valving is the same , I do not know.

Typically, when you work on a dirt bike rear shock, you simply remove the subframe.  On the DRZ, I would remove the muffler, loosen the catch tank and airboot, and swing the subframe up like this.  Takes a matter of minutes to do

Screenshot_20200709-180115.png

• Helpful 1