Sprocket combinations for owners of two wheel sets

Bottom line up front: it is possible to run a 43 tooth rear sprocket or a 48 tooth rear sprocket with a 15Tooth front sprocket and a 112 link chain.  

Hello, I have two wheelsets for my DRZ400S and run a set of aggressive knobbies for my deepwoods adventures, and street tires for the days when I head out for the twisties on the pavement.  I quickly realized that I would prefer to have lower gearing for my knobbies to get more rpm/torque delivered at lower speeds for powering through the tough stuff, yet wanted taller gearing for the street riding to get the rpm down at decent speeds.  To top off my criteria, I was unwilling to go to the work of changing the front countershaft sprocket, doing the red locktite fix, every wheelset swapout, and was unwilling to pull the masterclip apart and change chains each time either.

So my challenge was to find the best compromise possible, keeping the 112 link chain and the 15tooth countershaft sprocket.  I have ridden 15/44 on the street and 15/47 on my knobbies for the past two seasons and have been happy with the result....but always wondered if I could get a bigger jump out of this.  I just put a new chain on, and a new 15Tooth countershaft sprocket....so I said what the hell, I will take a leap of faith: I bought a 43 and a 48 to see if I could get them both on:    YES THEY FIT!

So, with a new 15T front sprocket, and a new unstretched chain, I could mount the knobbie with the 48 tooth sprocket on....just.  The snail tensioners are at 0 (first detent) to set the correct tension, so I obviously have lots of ability to tighten this as the front sprocket wears and the chain stretches.

Similarly, with the new 15T front sprocket, new unstretched chain, I was easily able to mount the street tire with the 43 on, and was able to tension the chain correctly at 6.0 on the snails.  This leaves enough snail to tension the chain after it stretches/wears.

Conclusion: if you have two wheelsets, you can run 15/43 on your street and 15/48 on your knobbies, with the same 112 link chain.

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

When I used the SM for dual duties I was really lazy and didn't change the rear sprocket size on the dirt set.  I found the compromise too much when tackling some of the tighter woods single trails even worse uphill.  I knew that the wheel swap was only going to be temporary as I thought a two bike solution would be the key so never pursued two rear sprocket.

Well done @dad2u.

I did the 15/43 and 15/47 combo with single chain for a while but still didn't get the gearing I wanted. Ended up just running two chains and 15/41 and 15/47 (or 48 if I have one on the shelf). When switch chains I use that opportunity to clean them. 

That's good info for guys on here Dad2u :applause:.  I concidered that one and pt's using two chains, but i have settled on just changing the front sprocket for a much greater spead of overall gearing. Using a 41 rear and 110 link chain, i can go from a 16 front to a 13 front for a huge change in gearing. To me, changing the front is quicker and easier than changing the rear. i've got it down to about ten minutes, i haven't used loctite in over 5 years, 50,000kms and never had the sprocket nut come lose. I also leave the cover off, easier to clean the mud out and i've never had my seal leak. Now i never go below 14T and have since settled on 16-43 which is a good comprimise for the riding i do. I'll throw the 14 on if i'm doing tight narly trails, have even swapped front sprockets out in the field a few times.

I run a 112 with my 15/47 dirt and 15/44 street setups.  Since I got my SV650 I only use the SM for the SuperMoto track, so 15/44 is fine.  If I want to put my 15/41 gearing on I have a 110 chain ready to go (which I used to do with every swap)