Thoughts on 10-year old KLX140L that has been sitting for a newbie

Looking at picking up a 10-year old KLX140L for my brother to learn on. Hes a grown adult - 6' 190lbs with ZERO dirt bike experience.

We want to get out on the trails together on something that is easy to learn on and non-intimidating. If we need to sell it in 6 months and upgrade, that's OK.

What are your guys thoughts on this? The specific bike we found is 10-years old, very lightly used, and has been sitting for last couple of years. I am assuming it needs battery, carb clean out and a little TLC.

Anything I should watch out for or need to beef up (suspension wise or other) for that rider and riding type?

Should be a good starter ,  I have one that serves me well .   Nice bike ,  no real screamer , but lots of fun ....

• Like 1

Frankly, at six feet and near 200 pounds he is too big for the L model. I have the G model (and I am an experienced ex-MXer going back into the early 70s) and I had to mod my "full size" G quite a bit to get it to be actually full size for my 5-10, 160 pounds body and do the Cogent fork upgrade to support my weight and perhaps sometimes (very) mildly aggressive riding style.  

• Like 1

On 7/9/2020 at 12:53 PM, SCWalrus said:

Looking at picking up a 10-year old KLX140L for my brother to learn on. Hes a grown adult - 6' 190lbs with ZERO dirt bike experience.

We want to get out on the trails together on something that is easy to learn on and non-intimidating. If we need to sell it in 6 months and upgrade, that's OK.

What are your guys thoughts on this? The specific bike we found is 10-years old, very lightly used, and has been sitting for last couple of years. I am assuming it needs battery, carb clean out and a little TLC.

Anything I should watch out for or need to beef up (suspension wise or other) for that rider and riding type?

Maybe if it's super cheap but he will get frustrated with it really quickly i think. I put a guy on my klx300r that had never been on a bike before and he did fine, he was slow but you just drive to your ability, and build on that. I think he would be happier on 200cc+. It's not like a kid that can't reach the ground. 

I ended up picking it up last week. Got a good deal and the bike is in great shape .

First order of business will be cleaning out the carb and opening up the jets. (First time doing this to a bike)

Ordered some handlebar risers and looking into the BBR spring kit. We don't need anything fast, just something to get riding and have fun on.

Thanks for your guys input

• Like 2

6 hours ago, SCWalrus said:

I ended up picking it up last week. Got a good deal and the bike is in great shape .

First order of business will be cleaning out the carb and opening up the jets. (First time doing this to a bike)

Ordered some handlebar risers and looking into the BBR spring kit. We don't need anything fast, just something to get riding and have fun on.

Thanks for your guys input

I haven't cleaned a carb on that perticular bike but it shouldn't be to difficult. Just make sure you have a clean work bench, pull it all apart and blow out every little hole. You may want to take carful note of the position of the idle and full mixture ( if it has one) screws before pulling it apart, so you don't have to totally guess how many turns once you put it back together, that's assuming they are roughly in the same position as when it was last ridden. 

Being 6 foot 190 lbs on a KLX140L equals more fun than a barrel of monkeys.  The funny thing about full grown men who are new to dirt bikes or "slow guys" is they think more cc's means they will be faster.  So yea, he will probably want to trade up in 6 months.  But, I'm 57 and I've been riding mini's since the late 80's.  The one thing that's comedy is being in a mini and smoking people on big bikes.  It never gets old.  I've seen people "upgrade" to bike after bike thinking it'll make them faster and not understanding it's them.  If he's cool with it and has fun, he'll be hooked.