Oops, killed a Shorai lithium battery.

Message added by ThumperTalk

Just learned something about them today. If they're too low and you have to kick start the bike they just might not like it.

KTM 500exc which has a strong charging system. Made it about 5 miles when I hear a bang and the bike won't start. :( 

IMG_20200709_133054973.jpg

Your first mistake was having a dirt bike that has a battery. 🤣

• Like 2
  • Helpful 1
  • Haha 7

1 minute ago, Ud_Luz said:

Street legal is nice. 🙂 

You'll shoot your eye out or something similar. 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, BOAB said:

Your first mistake was having a dirt bike that has a battery. 🤣

That used to be words to live by. But the modern EFI/TPI two strokes need a battery. Worse, if the battery is dead, you can't kick start them to life, you need the computer to boot up first. Sigh.

• Like 1
  • Helpful 2
  • Sad 1

45 minutes ago, pat22043 said:

That used to be words to live by. But the modern EFI/TPI two strokes need a battery. Worse, if the battery is dead, you can't kick start them to life, you need the computer to boot up first. Sigh.

which is why I just can't jump at that. I'm still running a carb on all my bikes but one cuz I know I can gravity drain that sucker home

• Like 2

Once they drop below a certain voltage (10.5?) they need to be charged with a proper charger or they get an internal short, which is what sounds like has happened.

I wrecked one a while back with a normal charger.

Edited by DEATH_INC.
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, pat22043 said:

In 05 Honda-Montesa introduced a water cooled 4 valve 250 4T Trials bike with Keihin no battery EFI so it can be done. Two friends have them and they always kick start and run like a typical EFI bike. And the bike is still in production. Tony Bou has won several World Championship on them.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Chuck. said:

In 05 Honda-Montesa introduced a water cooled 4 valve 250 4T Trials bike with Keihin no battery EFI .... Tony Bou has won several World Championship on them.

Toni Bou could win World Championships on a XR400 Honda from the 80s. Yes, it can be done, but only in tiny niche environments. The mainline two-strokes these days are either from small companies like Sherco and Beta, or by KTM/Husqv/GasGas. The first two might sneak under the environmental watchdogs. KTM-world-domination can't. they have to have a mainstream EFI/TPI. It needs a computer.

• Like 6

11 minutes ago, DEATH_INC. said:

Once they drop below a certain voltage (10.5?)...I wrecked one a while back with a normal charger.

Even a standard Battery Tender ( a widely used brand of trickle chargers) can cook a Li-Po battery. You need a special computerized LiPo charger.

• Like 2
  • Helpful 1

Right on, the LiPo batteries require a slightly lower voltage than a lead acid and wrong charger can fry them. Battery Tender makes a lead acid/LiPO charger with select able battery type, I'm on year six of a Shorai Li battery in my CRF250X. 

I agree Tony could win riding almost anything, he is amazing to watch.
The Keihin EFI has a computer and runs just like any other EFI bike, later models also have a MAP switch.

Edited by Chuck.

I use my lead-acid Battery Tender plus all the time on my Shoria's about 5 years now. No problems, charging system on my bikes been charging led-acid or lith ion too...:thinking:

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DEATH_INC. said:

Once they drop below a certain voltage (10.5?) they need to be charged with a proper charger or they get an internal short, which is what sounds like has happened.

I wrecked one a while back with a normal charger.

2 hours ago, Chuck. said:

I on year six of a Shorai Li battery in my CRF250X. 

You on year six, wow....

3 hours ago, Chuck. said:

I on year six of a Shorai Li battery in my CRF250X. 

1 hour ago, RichieGoatGruff said:

You on year six, wow....

TBH, I'm not surprised, I had one of the first lithium batteries out there (made by a uni student with Dewalt cells) in My ZX10 for 5-6 years (was still in it when I sold it) and it was still working as well as the day I fitted it.

The shorai I killed (the first in NZ btw, I got it from the importer cheap because he wanted a guinea pig, and I knew how good lithiums were from the ZX10 one) was because it was in the Mrs R6 when she crashed it, and it sat for 2-3 months with something draining it. It was 2-3 years old at that point. I didn't have the correct charger then so i tried the standard one I had. I know better now.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, RichieGoatGruff said:

You on year six, wow....

I've got a Ballistic that is going on 10.  If you take care of them, most any Lithium battery can last a long, long, time.  I routinely balance charge my batteries and at least twice a year I do a discharge/recharge cycle on them.

I've also recovered quite a few lithium batteries that have discharged to under 3v.  In that case, do NOT hook to a charger or running bike.  I have an ancient YTZ-7 battery that will hold 13v, but doesn't have enough CCA to turn an engine over anymore.  Hook the dead Li to the YTZ-7 and let it sit overnight.  By morning, the voltage between the two is usually around 8v, and at that point I can hook up my charger on it's lithium specific mode and away it goes.  It is ready to go by the time I get home from work.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, pat22043 said:

This isn't true for the TPI bikes. Some come with the relay others need to have one added, but you can run them without a battery via the kickstarter. 

1 minute ago, Dirtstache 556 said:

This isn't true for the TPI bikes. Some come with the relay others need to have one added, but you can run them without a battery via the kickstarter. 

That is contrary to what my KTM dealer told me about my "on order" 2021 300 XCW. Got any sources I can check?

Just now, pat22043 said:

That is contrary to what my KTM dealer told me about my "on order" 2021 300 XCW. Got any sources I can check?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dirtstache 556 said:

Some come with the relay others need to have one added, but you can run them without a battery via the kickstarter. 

I've got an XCW on order, so it doesn't start in the video without the capacitor (which you can get from Toyko Offroad). The video shows a capacitor, not a relay. There is an optional kick start lever and clutch that can be installed on these bikes. I decided not to order that. In four seasons with my 2017, I've never had issues starting the bike once its warmed up. (on cold days, say under freezing, the battery simply will not start the bike, so I've had to use the kick starter for the first start of those cold days)

Edited by pat22043