Oil Leak on a 2008 Suzuki Drz400

Anyone know what could cause this leak on the left side of the bike by the shifter believe it’s coming from the crankcase. I was told the gasket could be bad causing oil to be pushed out at that bolt. Any other ideas or anyone else have this problem? I bought the gasket but haven’t installed it yet.

BB8E6529-186C-419B-803E-10AB353045BC.jpeg

6CB2F3C8-58C8-40E5-B291-7841EF401657.jpeg

5BF2777A-D219-49D7-A8F6-11888914B4DC.jpeg

Edited by Rickey Lee

Hi Rickey,

Yes it looks like the oil is weeping from that gasket.   It looks like in the picture that the gasket has had some sealant used when it was last installed.  As I recall the OEM gasket is a metal gasket coated with a sealing layer so no gasket sealant is required.  This indicates that you may be correct in that the gasket leaks and has already had an attempted reapir. If it were me I would get an OEM metal gasket, remove the old and replace with the new, taking time to remove any remnants of the sealant used in the last install. Do not use any sealant for the new gasket.  The process is a simple one although there are a few steps.  You need to remove the gear lever, the starter clutch cover and what's behind it to get to the hidden cover bolt below. The rest of the bolts are easy to get to. Lay your bike over on the clutch side so any oil behind the cover does not escape.  As an aside, if treated carefully the gasket can be reused many times without degradation. 

I hope this helps

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rickey Lee said:

Anyone know what could cause this leak on the left side of the bike by the shifter believe it’s coming from the crankcase. I was told the gasket could be bad causing oil to be pushed out at that bolt. Any other ideas or anyone else have this problem? I bought the gasket but haven’t installed it yet.

These marks here might be of concern if they are not casting marks. Could you remove the bolt and take another pic or just check for cracks??

also when re-installing the case make sure the threaded holes are completely clean and EMPTY of oil and smutsh

if there is anything -oil dirt smudge crud- inside the threaded hole it CAN crack the inner case and create an oil leak as you tighten that bolt into the crud-filled threaded area ,, sorta like a hydraulic-press mashing the bits of crud into the threaded hole until the pressure cracks the surrounding case ,, it takes very little effort to twist that bolt and crack the threaded case ,, have had to repair MANYMANY cases like that thanks to overstrenuous beginner wrenchers ,,    ==   just be smarter than the item you are screwing on  it aint rokit science  ==  

DDD