What's a good hitch carrier for a dirtbike? Anyone use the harbor freight one? And sorry if this isn't the right place for this, didn't see anywhere it seemed to fit

My favorite is the "Ultimate MX Hauler."

Unfortunately it's also one of the most expensive @ $450 msrp for the hauler & an additional $60 or so for the optional gas can hauling attachment.

Oh & the harbor freight I've been the way.. I tried one out recently since I lost my mx hauler on the road somewhere (I apparently didn't have it secured properly).

I was not happy with it at all. I was able to secure the bike decently after getting really creative with my tie downs, but it just didn't seem to have very good spots to tie the bike down imo. That was with a Beta 300RR.

Perhaps with more experience I'd have figured out a better way to secure my bike. Build quality wise it was actually ok. Just a bit more of a pain to use than I've been accustomed to with the Ultimate MX Hauler which is very quick, & secure.

I have the moto jack rack, aka the Ultimate MX Hauler. It works very well. Has lasted 15+ years, and has always held the bike strong.

Note: I don't use tie downs with it, I just use their tie in system and it works great. I use a tie down to keep the front wheel from flopping around. I also use it on a very lifted Jeep, no problems.

Edited by Matthew Larson
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Matthew Larson said:

I have the moto jack rack, aka the Ultimate MX Hauler. It works very well. Has lasted 15+ years, and has always held the bike strong.

Note: I don't use tie downs with it, I just use their tie in system and it works great. I use a tie down to keep the front wheel from flopping around. I also use it on a very lifted Jeep, no problems.

Yeah, the Moto Jack I was just checking out online a few days ago (I had to order a new MX Hauler). Looked like a nice unit. That or the Ultimate MX Hauler have almost gotta be knock offs of the other, huh? I saw a knock off version on eBay for I think $329 as well.

I do the same thing with the MX Hauler - just use a strap to hold the front wheel. Never had an issue & the bike hasn't ever come loose. I've used mine on a couple different pickups & also on a Subaru Forester. Only issue I've ever had is on the Subaru. The gas can attachment just barely doesn't clear the rear bumper & it also sits a little low where the hauler scrapes while coming out of sharp grade transition driveways.

However, I purchased a 6" hitch extension to deal with the gas can holder clearance, which likely exaggerated the scraping issue. This time around with my new one, I'm gonna try an extension with a 4" rise, which I'm hoping isn't too tall. If so, I'll try a 2" rise one instead.

Good luck OP with whatever you choose!

I bought the Harbor Freight carrier a few years ago to haul an impulse purchase home. Worked fine during the 1100 mile drive. Used it one other time on an 800 mile trip hauling a 400 lbs dual sport. Also worked fine for that.

It seemed a little scary during my first haul. I stopped at a Cycle Gear shortly after I got underway and bought a $10 brace that you fit between the front wheel and fender to keep the fork from compressing when things the bike down. Got it cranked down well after that. Probably not necessary, but made me feel better. Obviously, I don't use it much so can't really speak to its long term durability.

A few years ago I spent $80 on amazon.  Works great.  It’s steel.  A lot of the racks are the same  and sold under different names. Seems to be $133 now.

Edited by G-Berm
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Matthew Larson said:

Same. Just got mine and have used it 3 times. Love it so far. Got it for $375 shipped direct from the manufacturer. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dingo707 said:

What's a good hitch carrier for a dirtbike? Anyone use the harbor freight one? And sorry if this isn't the right place for this, didn't see anywhere it seemed to fit

I was thinking about the harbor freight but a $12k bike on a $150 rack didn’t really make any sense. Glad I didn’t too. Definitely go with welded over bolted imho. 

My dealer stocked Joe Hauler’s and it’s real nice.

71E6D137-E6E0-461A-B339-1CD6CC92F38D.jpeg

F4592FC7-C7E2-4DC7-80E0-11030391106E.jpeg

I have an ultimate mx hauler and for my Betas mounting through the pegs had my bike sort of popping a wheelie and my rear wheel dropped too low. It seemed to be more of a Beta thing as with other bikes the going through the pegs didn’t affect how the bike was.. like with my cr. I bought a regular hitch carrier. I think it was $200 shipped or less. That works great and is light. The ultimate mxhauler has it’s benefits but just didn’t work for my Betas. Maybe the newest Betas it’s ok? I don’t know. I still have bothered carrier’s. The ultimate mx carrier is sitting now. I actually gave  it away but the guy never picked it up. 

This was my 13’ 300 rr. 

see how the rear wheel drops too low..

compared to the regular carrier.. 

One thing I do do is run a piece of rope around the bars putting a couple of half hitches and tied  as added insurance in case the straps fail. A good solid big hardened steel chain and lock is good to add too. Insurance is good too for your dirt bike. I pay a hundred bucks a year and $100 deductible. This 13 300 rr got it’s big cable lock cut cut and it was stolen. 

3F48EF5D-4CDD-44F0-A060-39BF00400025.jpeg

37F3EF30-CA33-45A4-A6F2-9040647C3E9E.jpeg

4C5FAE1C-66FD-4EB4-9F9D-67EFEBD3BD03.jpeg

C74210D6-1DCB-4F17-8A49-377E627F53BB.png

1EAE7FD9-1CC8-4E86-80DE-BDA7BB14332F.png

Edited by hawaiidirtrider

9 hours ago, Dingo707 said:

I use one called a black widow which I got for $110 from etrailer I think. It has a small square bracket that tightens down over your receiver and really tightens things up. No sway at all. I'd take that over the HF any day.

Also it doesn't seem anyone in the picks above uses a ratchet strap from foot peg to foot peg under the rack. My dealer suggested this and it pulls the whole bike down evenly. Works well for double checking your chain tension too.

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

22 minutes ago, NjBetaRider said:

I use one called a black widow which I got for $110 from etrailer I think. It has a small square bracket that tightens down over your receiver and really tightens things up. No sway at all. I'd take that over the HF any day.

No way I'd use that one over the Harbor Freight. HF also has an aluminum subframe, so it's super light. Adjustable bar spacing under the wheels. Clamps bolt down tight on the receiver to eliminate sway. 

57 minutes ago, NjBetaRider said:

Thousands of miles on my aluminum black widow. Zero issues.  

I put on an LED light strip (like you see on pickups between tailgate and bumper) for extra brake lights.

The black widow motorcycle carrier is just fine at a very reasonable price.  I have one just like it that I have had for the past 15 years.     

I use two straps to tie mine down to the carrier.   Then,  do not forget...   tie those wheels to the carrier.     When the car is bouncing up and down, expecially if you hit a bump or a dip on a rough road or street, that rear wheel can bounce right off the carrier and you'll end up dragging the bike.    Ask me how I know this...

a couple of simple straps to keep that wheel down is all you need and you can go over the roughest stuff and bike will be there.   I have a couple of those long heavy duty twist ties from Home depot.   This works.   

Lastly, the carrier with the bike will wobble all over the place   You can stop that by getting one of these 

https://www.amazon.com/HiTow-Tightener-Anti-Rattle-Stabilizer-Corrosion/dp/B074DCG2PQ/ref=asc_df_B074DCG2PQ/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=312158556709&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=553549096262267041&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9030945&hvtargid=pla-569302030250&psc=1

Good luck

Edited by Just_a_trail_rider
  • Like 1