My 2016: Yoshi's or FMF? (bare with me)

Hey All,

So...I've been on my 2016 CRF250R since I bought it new 4 years ago. I have raced 2 1/2 seasons on it with OTHG and it's been rock solid. The first year I just trail rode it...then started racing in 17' and haven't looked back. 80 hours on the bike...same piston...valves still in spec...same clutch. That shows you what a squid I am on the track...lol.

Anyway...some of my buddies are on their second or third bike and I'm still on "ole paint". It's not in the cards for me to get a new one this year...but I can spend a little bit and spruce up the old girl a little. I originally thought big bore...but with my mechanical chops...it's best we leave that one in the chamber til it's really necessary. So I'm going with pipes...no header, just slip ons...and no ECU re-map either. I had Justin at Tokyo mods re-map my ECU back in 17'...he put a woods map on it and his aggresive mx map. It went fine...but I'm not putting my ECU in the mail in these times...it's been totally unreliable lately.

So there you have it...FMF slip ons are a little cheaper...but not by much. Yoshi's I think have a better re-sale value. I don't care if there isn't much gains at all...if it sounds different...it might "feel" like a different bike. After almost 80 gate drops on this bike...if there's a slight difference I think I will feel it.

Thoughts?

At 80 hours and a tight budget, I would focus on freshening up your engine and keeping it stock. Fresh tires, chain and sprocket and linkage bearings are also good places to spend your money. 

I get it that some new bling helps keep the newbikeitis at bay for a while. I like the idea of going to a single pipe where that is an option to save some weight. 

• Like 1

At 80 hours, +1 on the engine refresh rather than any BB or other ECU/exhaust mods.

Refurbing the suspension and fine tuning it for your weight and skill level will net you way more noticeable gains on the track than any slip on,

allowing you to feel more confident on the bike and to push it harder than before.

Edited by mlatour

Crap...looks like I gave too much info.

Right now...I don't care if I put the new pipes on and only get another 2 hours out of it before I need to put a new top end on it. I will do that when the bike shows the slightest signs of needing one. It still hasn't lost one ounce of power...and starts 1st kick dead cold when it's 40 degrees out. At 80 hours I know it's due...not spending the money to have the bike run exactly the same at the moment.

I think I average about 15 hours a YEAR ride time. I'm realizing now that I asked a stupid question...I'll get every answer but to the one I actually asked. Might as well, have asked what oil I should run...lol.

Gonna ask the mods to delete this thread.

In reality it doesn't matter how many hours you ride it per season but, how you ride it (racing in this case)

so the main concern in getting the top end refurbed at those high hours isn't for any gains in performance 

but rather to prevent it from grenading from parts (namely the piston and cam chain) having gone beyond their useful life

and risking taking out the rest of your engine in the process. 

Edited by mlatour

I'm using the term "race" loosely"...I'm a Novice in a Vet moto club. Basically a Sunday cruise with a gate drop at the beginning...lol. Let me ask you this...would you re-valve the suspension for your weight and riding style...when you're going to sell the bike in 10 hours? That's basically what were talking about here...the bike's gone next year.

Not to mention...how do you re-valve a 2016 gen SHOWA TAC air fork? You don't...they're universally hated and are garbage. You either get a $600 spring fork conversion and re-valve that...or get a 2012 spring fork...do some voodoo for the front brake caliper...then re-valve that.

After more reading...I'm going with the Yoshi's. Probably do a top end re-fresh a couple hours later to be safe...but in the end...it's gonna be a used 250F with about 90 hours on it when I sell it. Not a whole lot of re-sale value there anyway...lol.

If you're planning to sell it and racing a such a moderate pace, of course I wouldn't bother investing in the suspension 

but I also wouldn't invest in an aftermarket exhaust either.

With paperwork/bills to prove it, an engine re-fresh (even partial say like piston, rings and cam chain

would give the potential buyer a bit more confidence in purchasing it.

The most likely buyers for a 4-5 year old 250F will be a first time rider / teenager 

with finding the lowest possible purchase price in mind no matter how modded the bike is compared to other available bikes on the market.

Edited by mlatour
  • Like 1

I have my OE mufflers still after 2 1/2 years, and do not plan to replace them. I do run inserts when I need a spark arrestor and quiet. I think an exhaust on a 4-stroke is a poor return on investment, but I do understand why you are thinking of changing it. 

The way the used bike market is here right now, if I was in your position, I would be selling the bike and getting my new one a year early ? 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Woodzi said:

I have my OE mufflers still after 2 1/2 years, and do not plan to replace them. I do run inserts when I need a spark arrestor and quiet. I think an exhaust on a 4-stroke is a poor return on investment, but I do understand why you are thinking of changing it. 

The way the used bike market is here right now, if I was in your position, I would be selling the bike and getting my new one a year early ? 

I'm on the fence...but I'm leaning towards selling my Husky and putting it into the CRF and ride it for another year. (top-end, Yoshi's, Sprox...etc.) Hope to get a freshy in 2021.:ride: