16 minutes ago, Tanner Townsend said:

Should I trade my 2000 ktm 250sx for a 2009 YZ250F? Has anyone heard anything bad about the 2009 YZ250F?

Great bike if your on top of matienence. If your not and damage that head then you better have 1000+ on hand and at ready.

22 minutes ago, Tanner Townsend said:

Should I trade my 2000 ktm 250sx for a 2009 YZ250F? Has anyone heard anything bad about the 2009 YZ250F?

In my opinion, Yamaha has a great bike right out of the box.  I have ridden a few Yamaha 250f's and they were fast and fun, and cornered well.  I did have to rev it pretty good to keep it moving, it wasn't much of a drag racer from the inside rut.

25 minutes ago, Tanner Townsend said:

What is the story on the trade? 

It sounds like you are wanting to upgrade, but why is the other party wanting to trade?

Haven’t looked at the yz yet but apparently the owner wants a 2 stroke. He said the top and bottom were just rebuilt about 7-10 hours ago. Anything I should look for when I go to check it out? (Other than receipts)

3 minutes ago, WALKINGWOUNDED said:

What is the story on the trade? 

It sounds like you are wanting to upgrade, but why is the other party wanting to trade?

Haven’t looked at the yz yet but apparently the owner wants a 2 stroke. He said the top and bottom were just rebuilt about 7-10 hours ago. Anything I should look for when I go to check it out? (Other than receipts)

In my experience 7-10 hrs means 50-60 lol, just saying.

Value wise it's probably fairly even but man if it wasn't cared for internally then you'll be stuck with a expensive paper weight

if he wants to trade a 09 for a 00 theirs probably something wrong with it.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Smoking 2's said:

In my experience 7-10 hrs means 50-60 lol, just saying.

Value wise it's probably fairly even but man if it wasn't cared for internally then you'll be stuck with a expensive paper weight

Very true

Don’t believe anything any seller says without receipts to back up their claims. If they claim to have done the work themselves, I would also want to see their shop and tools. Too many meathead hacks out there that think a hammer is a good substitute for a press or puller. 

I also would be extremely wary of any individual willing to trade for a machine that is ten years older than the one they are looking to unload. 

In most cases, when someone is willing to trade his newer 4-stroke (yet soon to be 12 year old)

for an older 2-stroke, it's because he knows his 250F will sooner rather than later require a complete engine refurb.

The same refurb on a 2-stroke costing 1/3rd the price and much simpler to do by the average home mechanic.

Without knowing the condition both bikes, owning the older 2-stroke is a much safer bet, especially with limited funds and

limited mechanical knowledge about high performance 250F's and their 'useful lifespan' before they become throw away consumables.

Edited by mlatour
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Tanner Townsend said:

A lot of experienced and wise replies.