Jump to content
Joshua Barahona

Crf 250l first gear wont catch help!!

Recommended Posts

Hey guys today I went trail riding and when I was riding I attempted to do a power slide and the bike dropped and hit the floor on the side the shifter is on. The shifter was pointed up and stuck at a weird point. I bent it back it runs threw all gears the only weird problem is that it wont catch in first gear. When I usually kick it down to first it locks in and I cant kick it down any more. Now after me being a dumbass (inspired by red foreman) and dropping it Every time i kick down into first it wont lock in gear. I have no idea what to do lol I’m pretty good with my hands I’ve worked on a number of bikes before. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If the shifter is (was) bent I’d look for a physical contact point that the shifter may be hitting to prevent it from it’s full down movement. You could also try to remove the shifter and rotating it up by just one spline tooth and see if that helps.  If their is no physical contact something may have bent on the inside of the shift shaft. Hope not though. 
 

Also, I hope you did not bend the shifter back after your fall while on the bike? Levers like that should always be straightened “off” the bike to prevent shaft damage. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, JasonfromMN said:

If the shifter is (was) bent I’d look for a physical contact point that the shifter may be hitting to prevent it from it’s full down movement. You could also try to remove the shifter and rotating it up by just one spline tooth and see if that helps.  If their is no physical contact something may have bent on the inside of the shift shaft. Hope not though. 
 

Also, I hope you did not bend the shifter back after your fall while on the bike? Levers like that should always be straightened “off” the bike to prevent shaft damage. 

Thanks bud yeah i did all that still no luck. I’m thinking its the shift shaft and luckily i dont have to split the case to replace it on my bike. Do you think its the shift shaft or something more internal ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

could also be the shifting pawls/claws (which are on the other end of the shaft) the ones for going up in gears are different than the ones for going down (obviously).

 

I'd tend to agree with the above that it's likely shaft/pawls related more than actual gear related. if memory serves correct you can replace the shaft and shifting pawls without removing the entire transmission, but don't quote me on that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Crapflinger said:

could also be the shifting pawls/claws (which are on the other end of the shaft) the ones for going up in gears are different than the ones for going down (obviously).

 

I'd tend to agree with the above that it's likely shaft/pawls related more than actual gear related. if memory serves correct you can replace the shaft and shifting pawls without removing the entire transmission, but don't quote me on that.

Are these the paws you are referring to ? I just order this part hopefully it’s just the shift shaft.

052DD203-818D-459A-ABD6-6D89278C6B20.jpeg

Edited by Joshua Barahona

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i was thinking more of 1,2, or 3 in this picture, but I think I was mistaken. the claw on the end of the shift shaft is more in line with what I was actually thinking before. that's the thing that transmits shifting input to the other shaft (5) that moves the gears around in the transmission using the shift forks (1,2, and 3). though, could still be the forks (1, 2, and 3) as those are what actually move the gears around in the transmission.

Medium?ariz=3

 

 

  • Helpful 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/14/2020 at 6:21 AM, Joshua Barahona said:

Are these the paws you are referring to ? I just order this part hopefully it’s just the shift shaft.

052DD203-818D-459A-ABD6-6D89278C6B20.jpeg

That's the normal culprit...there was a really good vid up on YT years ago but it seems to have vanished

I did find an old post of mine with a couple of other vids tho...

https://thumpertalk.com/forums/topic/1261097-crf250l-spindle-gearshift-help/?do=findComment&comment=14281717

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey guys thank’s. For the help I put the part in and everything started working normal again. One other weird thingthats been happening to me though with the crf 250L. Is that today I was trail riding after i put the new part in then after words driving home. I noticed when i was in 4th gear the bike seemed to not want to go. It was a weird i was twisting the throttle and it was moving slowly. It was also a very hot day and I recently broke the fan on my bike. This happens sometimes when I run it in very hot weather. I also havent changed the oil or cleaned the air box since may. Is this maybe a sign for an oil change and air box cleaing 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Joshua Barahona said:

I noticed when i was in 4th gear the bike seemed to not want to go. It was a weird i was twisting the throttle and it was moving slowly.

If the engine revs went up but the bike doesn't react then I'd say your clutch is about to give up the ghost

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Neilly said:

If the engine revs went up but the bike doesn't react then I'd say your clutch is about to give up the ghost

I figured it out. It was just low on oil. I guess some came out when I installed the shift shaft the other day. I did a oil change and it started running perfectly again. 

Thank you to all my thumper brothers  who helped me on this forum. If it wasn’t for you guys I wouldn’t be riding this weekend haha. Stays safe out there moto bros 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...