Jump to content
Eric Nolte

Mounted new Kendas, trouble getting the front evenly seated?

Recommended Posts

 2016 250L.  I just bought and mounted a pair of Kenda 270's with new tubes.  The rear in 5.10x18 went together no problem, but the front is fighting me.  I cannot seem to get the tire to evenly sit on the bead which becomes noticeable when riding at 50kph and up.  I've tried deflating the tire several times and spraying soapy water between the rim and tire and reinflating, but no luck yet.  I've also tried holding a piece of chalk near the tire, spinning it and marking the high spot.  Then I'll deflate and try to massage that area 'deeper' into the rim before reinflating.  The high spot moves, indicating it's not a tire defect.   DOT code says it's a late 2018 tire, same as my rear.   I'm about to take it off and bring the assembly to the dealer for seating & balancing.  Since I ride street 85% of the time, I do need this fixed.

Does anyone have some suggestions on what to do in this situation?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not saying this it will fix it, but I had the same thing happen to me.  Installed tires and it was bouncing.  I rode back home, deflated to about 10 psi, then rode a half mile or so while deflated.  The centrifugal force then helped even the bead. Re-inflated and all was good.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Dogger said:

Not saying this it will fix it, but I had the same thing happen to me.  Installed tires and it was bouncing.  I rode back home, deflated to about 10 psi, then rode a half mile or so while deflated.  The centrifugal force then helped even the bead. Re-inflated and all was good.  

Around 10 psi you say?  I can try that easy enough tomorrow.   Thank you.  

 

5 minutes ago, kenru said:

Sounds like a pinched tube. 

 Any hints on how to check for this and fix it?  I've deflated and lubed the tire / bead area several times while keeping a couple PSI in the tube, but I'm a rookie when it comes to bike tires.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I pinched a tube when I mounted my last set of tires.  Same symptoms; tire wouldn't sit straight on the rim.  I used some irons to pull the tire away from the rim and saw the pinch.  Had to pull one side of the tire off and add a little more air before remounting.  Popped right into place.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am not certain it was 10 psi...didn’t measure, but the tire certainly looked like it needed air.  Got it up to about 40 mph for a minute or so, returned home and inflated to 22 psi, the stock tire pressure.  Worked for me.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, kenru said:

I pinched a tube when I mounted my last set of tires.  Same symptoms; tire wouldn't sit straight on the rim.  I used some irons to pull the tire away from the rim and saw the pinch.  Had to pull one side of the tire off and add a little more air before remounting.  Popped right into place.

Forgive me as I've only had to swap bike tires a handful of times and never run into this.  When you say "saw the pinch", do you mean you saw the tube was stuck between the tire and the rim?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Eric Nolte said:

Forgive me as I've only had to swap bike tires a handful of times and never run into this.  When you say "saw the pinch", do you mean you saw the tube was stuck between the tire and the rim?

Likely yes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Eric Nolte said:

Forgive me as I've only had to swap bike tires a handful of times and never run into this.  When you say "saw the pinch", do you mean you saw the tube was stuck between the tire and the rim?

Yes, it's visible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey folks.  This morning I raised the front of the bike, deflated the tire and squeezed the rubber.  I found no pinched tube.  I applied some Armor All to the bead area for a little bit of lubricant and reinflated to 14psi.  I rode it a little to give the tire a chance to settle, then inflated 25psi.  Unfortunately I still feel the tire shaking.

Would there be anything else I could try on this before I pull the rim off and have it done professionally?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is pretty common.  Deflate the tire, unseat the bead and roll it around to get the tire to settle on the rim.  Lubricate it and reinflate.  60 PSI or more is required in some cases to get it to fully seat.

The problem is that the tire is not concentric on the rim.  It is offset to one side, likely to the spot where you spooned the last part of the bead on.  The bead will be loose here and tight on the other side.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd sure use windex rather than Armorall.  Windex will dry out and the tire won't spin on the rim.  I've seen tires spin on the rim and guillotine the valve stem.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

as turbo said, depending on the carcass weight of the tire, you have to make sure you go really high with the seating pressure to set the bead correctly.

 

also, have you balanced the tire at all?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just curious if you put the round colored stamped dot on the new tire even with the valve stem?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Valve stem out and rim lock loose

Spray both beads with soapy water and use a use a good compressor to set bead. (I might go to 40 PSI and you could use a hand pump but a good compressor is IMO easier)

Bounce the tire a few times while rotating once all the air is out, put in valve stem fill to desired PSI and check bead.

Tight rim lock

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/13/2020 at 11:42 AM, Crapflinger said:

as turbo said, depending on the carcass weight of the tire, you have to make sure you go really high with the seating pressure to set the bead correctly.

also, have you balanced the tire at all?

Interesting.  I went as high as 45, which is as high as I'm comfortable doing on a bike tire.  I just don't have the experience to comfortably go higher.    No balancing yet.  As I learned doing car tires;  I can balance an egg but it's not going to roll right.   I currently have a twisted pretzel for a front rubber.  Balanced or not, it's not a smooth surface.

 

On 7/13/2020 at 6:02 PM, Dogger said:

Just curious if you put the round colored stamped dot on the new tire even with the valve stem?  

That's typically a balancing issue.  Right now my tire will not seat properly on the rim.   Front wheel off the ground and you spin it, you can see the tread doing a 'dip & weave'.   It's not evenly seated.

 

On 7/13/2020 at 6:13 PM, filterx said:

Valve stem out and rim lock loose

Spray both beads with soapy water and use a use a good compressor to set bead. (I might go to 40 PSI and you could use a hand pump but a good compressor is IMO easier)

Bounce the tire a few times while rotating once all the air is out, put in valve stem fill to desired PSI and check bead.

Tight rim lock

I followed this exactly, save the rim lock cuz I don't have one up front.  I have a good compressor.  Took the tire off, broke it down, windex the bead.  Put 10psi back in and bounced the tire 30-40 times around the perimeter.   Put 18psi in and put it back in the forks.  Gave it a spin and could see the tires high & low spots.  I deflated it and tried to massage the tire to sit evenly.  After six cycles of adjusting the tire, I got pissed and  just took it up to the dealership.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Eric Nolte said:

Interesting.  I went as high as 45, which is as high as I'm comfortable doing on a bike tire.  I just don't have the experience to comfortably go higher.    No balancing yet.  As I learned doing car tires;  I can balance an egg but it's not going to roll right.   I currently have a twisted pretzel for a front rubber.  Balanced or not, it's not a smooth surface.

 

That's typically a balancing issue.  Right now my tire will not seat properly on the rim.   Front wheel off the ground and you spin it, you can see the tread doing a 'dip & weave'.   It's not evenly seated.

 

I followed this exactly, save the rim lock cuz I don't have one up front.  I have a good compressor.  Took the tire off, broke it down, windex the bead.  Put 10psi back in and bounced the tire 30-40 times around the perimeter.   Put 18psi in and put it back in the forks.  Gave it a spin and could see the tires high & low spots.  I deflated it and tried to massage the tire to sit evenly.  After six cycles of adjusting the tire, I got pissed and  just took it up to the dealership.  

If the dealer gets its seated properly ask them what they did differently than you.

Otherwise the tire needs to be inflated on the rim and use soapy water on both beads and you might need to got to 40 PSI or higher.

Out of interest did you clean the inside of the rims with a good stiff brush?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Of course, the other option that hasn't been expressed, you got a bum tire and need to send it back. Based on the further description, that's more and more likely. If it's deforming the tread surface, then something is definitely no bueno

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So a few of you were right;  I needed to overinflated the tire more to seat the bead.  It was getting stuck on the "rim lock" step of the rim. They charged me for a balancing and sent me on my way.  Smooth up to 100kph now.  

Thanks folks!!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...