Toughmudder

help to install side stand spring

im not able to install side stand spring. It take a tremendous force to pull it on the pivot pin.  Do i need a special tool to install that? what is the trick?

IMG_20200711_162957.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Toughmudder said:

im not able to install side stand spring. It take a tremendous force to pull it on the pivot pin.  Do i need a special tool to install that? what is the trick?

IMG_20200711_162957.jpg

Heh, heh, y'all be careful out there now! I knocked my self out with a spring install on my cr's break pedal, man I pack a wollop, loL! Bloodie up my face real good now. A catchers mask is reccomended if you slip...🤣

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

IIRC it’s easier with the stand in the up position, no? I used a brake spring installer and it went right on, but I’m lucky to have nearly every tool known to man thanks to many years of the SnapOn man driving by the shop 😁 Screw driver should work as above.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

Easy when the stand is up when using a #3 Phillips screwdriver that is 10-12 inches long. Makes vice grips obsolete.  Will take 10 seconds at the most with no extra hands or tools 🧰 

Edited by adnohguy
  • Like 2

Also if above doesn't work, pull pivot bolt in clevis, connect spring, then put kickstand back in clevis and attempt to install bolt by having someone else manipulate the stand.

• Like 5
  • Helpful 2

46 minutes ago, Chisler said:

Pick up a hook/ pick kit

image.jpg

And if that tool was made in China, watch your eyes when working with high tension springs. 

I don't have one, but was thinking of getting one to work in delicate areas of pipe spring removal where pliers are cumbersome. 

• Like 2

Can’t imagine this thing is high quality, but better than a screwdriver handle style for pulling springs. FMF has one for $11. 

0306749C-A2A7-4A6B-BD8C-1A2F5F4C4569.png

• Like 4
  • Helpful 2

1 minute ago, Adam Meyerson said:

Can’t imagine this thing is high quality, but better than a screwdriver handle style for pulling springs. FMF has one for $11. 

0306749C-A2A7-4A6B-BD8C-1A2F5F4C4569.png

That is a lot better!

T handle makes it worthwhile 

I'm going to get one!

• Like 2

i put my helmet and i did it with the screw driver....  Thanks everyone for your comment 😁😂 

• Like 5
  • Haha 7

2 hours ago, Rod21 said:

And if that tool was made in China, watch your eyes when working with high tension springs. 

I don't have one, but was thinking of getting one to work in delicate areas of pipe spring removal where pliers are cumbersome. 

It’s a Snap on ..... but your most likely right.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Toughmudder said:

i put my helmet and i did it with the screw driver....  Thanks everyone for your comment 😁😂 

Spring install easiest in (relaxed position,UP)!🇺🇸

• Like 2

Ever hear of the Penny Trick?

Bend the spring to open the coils, stick pennies in the openings causing the spring to be longer.  With the KS up, drop the spring onto the pins.

Now move the KS to the down position.  This will stretch the spring and the pennies will fall out, and you're all done.

• Like 9
  • Helpful 4

40 minutes ago, maicoguy said:

Ever hear of the Penny Trick?

Bend the spring to open the coils, stick pennies in the openings causing the spring to be longer.  With the KS up, drop the spring onto the pins.

Now move the KS to the down position.  This will stretch the spring and the pennies will fall out, and you're all done.

I was gonna say dimes, but right on!

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

Try taking the kickstand bolt out First ,  Then hook the spings up on both ends and finagled the kickstand back into place . Using the stand as leverage slip the bolt back in . 

I use this method on Harley  kickstands and  it works fine . 

Good luck and wear eye protection. 

• Like 2
  • Helpful 1