Fender eliminator I can't figure out this wiring!

Hey folks I bought a fender eliminator for my 2016 Honda CRF 250L and I am having problems getting the wiring right, I've blown 2 fuses already when I try the blinkers....on my factory harness there's a white clip with a brown and green wire that I disconnected when I took apart the other taillight but doesn't have anywhere to plug into on the new one...

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Mark

While I’m not quite sure what your issue is I think some pics may help for other members to help you out. 

Mark,

According to the Service Manual  wiring diagram, the white clip with Brown / Green is for the license plate light.  

Right Turn signal is Light Blue / Green

Left Turn signal is Orange / Green

(Green is your earth connection).

Copy below.  Hope this helps.

2020-07-12_19.18.47[1].jpg

• Helpful 1

Further to above, when I bought my fender eliminator kit here it came with zero instructions, and all wires were yellow!!  (Fun....-Not!),

I ended up removing (unbolting) the license plate light off the old fender, and mounting it onto the bracket of the new fender eliminator, (it's pretty small anyway) - mainly so I didn't give an easy excuse to the local police to pull me over. ( They're good at that about a week before pay-day... )  

Cheers  :cheers:

This diagram is very helpful! Looks like I have everything done correctly except the license plate hook up.

My new taillight has the license plate light built-in and works, is there a way to eliminate the green and brown wires? Or tie them into other wire to complete the circuit? 

I don't even know if that's an option like I mentioned before this is basically Mars to me...

Mark,

So everything working now?  If so, then your 'old' license plate wiring is redundant, and I wouldn't bother trying to electrically join them to the new wiring.  No point. 

-I'd be inclined to to get some electrical tape or heat-shrink wrap, (or both!) to seal it off from the elements, and just zip-tie it to the bundle of wires going out to the rear light cluster. 

JMO like.     

The break light and license plate light both work when I turn on the accessories, rear blinker don't light up like the front ones do and if I try to activate the blinkers I blow a fuse instantly....

My thought is that the original license plate wiring not being connected to anything is causing the issue 

Mark,

Hmm, if you're blowing a fuse then something is drawing too much current in the circuit.  Something's not right for sure.

The picture helps, as it shows the fender eliminator you've got uses the stock indicators.  But if I'm thinking right, then nothing in the wiring to your indicators (blinkers) should have changed during installation other than disconnect / reconnect once the new fender bracket was in place, -is that correct? 

Before you made the swap, did your blinkers act as running lights as well, i.e. on all the time, and then flash individually when turn selected?  

(Apologies about my earlier comment on the license plate wiring, as that was going on the assumption that everything was now OK).   

So did the new unit come with connectors already installed, or did you have to splice into the existing wiring?   I'm thinking that whatever is powering your license plate light maybe shouldn't be, and maybe should be connected to the blinker circuit.  Your license plate light should be getting power from that license plate connector.    

If I remember correctly the tail lights when running we're on all the time and then would blink as required. I hooked up the old tail light was basically only has the white connection for the license plate light and started the bike it lit up along with the new tail light license plate light also lit up. The blinkers on the rear did not light up when starting the bike and also when I clicked on the blinker I blew the fuse right away. Attached is a picture of the wiring that I've done the tail light needed to be spliced to the factory clips which I did correctly. Also attached is a picture of the wiring for the tail light itself and the new license plate light. 

PS. I really appreciate you taking the time to help me out on this!

IMG_20200712_115540.jpg

IMG_20200712_115556.jpg

IMG_20200712_115626.jpg

IMG_20200712_115635.jpg

IMG_20200712_115646.jpg

Thanks for the pictures.  I think the overload is coming from having the license plate light on the same circuit as the blinkers.  (But its the 'running light' circuit that is powering the plate light).

Can you disconnect the license plate light power supply wire only?  or maybe temporarily remove the bulb?   Then try the blinkers and see if the fuse still blows.

That will tell you if it is the license plate + blinkers that is causing the overload.

Once that is confirmed, one way or not, I would still look to power the license plate light from the OE connector, even if you have to remove the connector and splice.

55 minutes ago, Markhonda 250 said:

I hooked up the old tail light was basically only has the white connection for the license plate light and started the bike it lit up along with the new tail light license plate light also lit up. The blinkers on the rear did not light up

I've quoted the bit above, as what that's telling me is that what should be feeding the blinkers is actually feeding the license plate bulb

You know that the green wires give you an earth, so if you've got a spare length of wire, you should be able to 'isolate' which wires go to which lights on the new fender eliminator by connecting one side to a green wire, and using your spare length connected to positive on battery to see what powers what.

Hope this helps, it's ZZZZ time here in my part of the world now, -but let me know how you get on eh.

Cheers.

On US bikes the rear blinkers aren't running lights normally. And the originally license plate light doesn't have to be used for the rest of the system to work.

If I'm looking at the picture right, the license plate light is just the taillight shining through the clear section on the bottom of the taillight lens.

Which wires did you cut and splice, just the 3 in your hand?

• Helpful 1