KatoKonvert

Beta2Stroke EnduroSpec MXT Lucky carts for Beta 2020

Oil height made a huge difference for mine.  I started at 110mm air gap and ended up at 125. I felt mine were harsh In the mid at 110. 

• Helpful 2

Have you tried stiffening the clickers? A lot of people think "this is harsh I should soften it up" and end up making the problem worse. Try stiffer on the clickers.

10 hours ago, basalt said:

Have you tried stiffening the clickers? A lot of people think "this is harsh I should soften it up" and end up making the problem worse. Try stiffer on the clickers.

Tried that. Better at 5 out compared to 15 out, but nowhere near the performance the reviews indicate. Warren’s valving probably just needs a tweak for my specific terrain. Nothing unusual about that. 

Gotta say, I was super-bummed Sunday after riding  - even briefly put them up for sale! But I calmed down & am playing the long game. 

Will report on what we find inside, how it compares to ES stock valving & what we change and to what effect. 

6 hours ago, KatoKonvert said:

Tried that. Better at 5 out compared to 15 out, but nowhere near the performance the reviews indicate. Warren’s valving probably just needs a tweak for my specific terrain. Nothing unusual about that. 

Gotta say, I was super-bummed Sunday after riding  - even briefly put them up for sale! But I calmed down & am playing the long game. 

Will report on what we find inside, how it compares to ES stock valving & what we change and to what effect. 

If only 70% of the travel is being used I'd try lowering the oil. Never heard of anyone that didn't love those things or had to revalve, something doesn't seem right.

6 hours ago, KatoKonvert said:

What type of description did you give endurospec when he tuned your inserts for you? I was pretty meticulous and stressed that while I ride with ex racers at a fast pace, I do not race and will not race with these inserts. I know that can throw off the shim stack easily if the builder misinterprets what your conditions and riding style will be like. I also weighed my current riding gear and it came out to more than I would've guessed (30lbs of gear all kitted up).

I'm glad I just gave him everything and did not attempt to DIY after reading this - my experience is that of nearly complete satisfaction for only an additional ~$250 (for him to install) that I initially thought ahh I'll just DIY and save some $$. I can imagine shipping to/from another continent would make that a few more dollar signs though...

• Like 1

I stipulated multiple, short interval hit compliance was a priority & that I don’t need a fork that can land 40ft tabletops. We have another spot an hour away that is rooty, yet mainly loamy s/t - as delivered the Lucky’s would rip there. 

My mechanic mate is really, really good & I have full confidence that he can get into them and shim-shuffle to good effect. We ride the same terrain - he lives across the street from our usual spot - so understands my needs more than a few words on an order form can possible convey. This was evidenced by the phenomenal KYB’s I rode there a week ago. 

With many saying these carts are awesome in rocks - they are tuned in the Rocky Mountains, ffs - I will try to help myself and others with stacks and set up.

I’ll try to shoot a better video of the terrain to show what we ride & how important fork performance is there - particularly for us older riders!

• Like 2

After a less than inspiring 2nd ride on these carts last Saturday, I shat myself & put them up for sale Monday. “Everyone’s raving - why?” Etc, etc. After I calmed down, I emailed Warren Healy at EnduroSpec for help with harshness when up it over baby-head sandstone rocks at my local. He sent me a new, softer base valve stack that has simply transformed the fork. 30min job. 

I went out to my local in the rain this after work this afternoon - they are now superb. Plush in the chop but racey & confidence-giving when blatting through s/t. The comp & rebound circuits are now simpatico which gives better front wheel traction, a better f to b balance & more direct steering. I can’t imagine bottoming them due to the Huck valve, too. Yes, if I smash into square-edge rocks super-hard I can feel a mild impact, but it is 90% better. Mid & sub-valves, oil height, tyre psi & clickers can all be tweaked to refine further. I’ll ride more before I go chasing the final 10%. 

Stacks - before & after

24.1 (2)

22.1 (2)

20.1 (2)

There was a recommended sub-valve (atop the Comp piston, currently a check shim) but not needed atm. 

Now I understand why people rate these carts. 

• Helpful 2

On 8/4/2020 at 10:06 AM, Johnny Depp said:

If only 70% of the travel is being used I'd try lowering the oil. Never heard of anyone that didn't love those things or had to revalve, something doesn't seem right.

Reviews I seen/heard, 50% like EnduroSpec valving the first shot,,, more on the second try and most on third. People that really like these Lucky's right out of the box came from aftermarket tuners on their valving. EnduroSpec valves for national class riders which is a class higher then local racing. Like other brands emphasis on weekend trail rider is needed.

• Like 2