Jump to content
ah665

motocross All About the 2021 Honda CRF450R

Recommended Posts

Here it is. We can continue any brand fanboy talk here, if need be. Personally I like the move. I think Honda was on to something with the 09-12 bike and then really went in the wrong direction with 13. Hopefully this bike gets back to the small, light agile way of thinking with those 09-12 bikes. It seemed like Reed and a lot of racers loved that generation, even though it did not do well in some shootouts. The duals are totally stupid and I am glad they are gone. The addition of some modern components is also nice. The intake tract is very interesting. It's almost like a hybrid KTM,Yam and Kawi set-up. I like it!  Plus they are continuing the '20 CRF450 in the lineup at a cheaper price, which is a fantastic Idea (sort of how in 06 when Yamaha offered the new R6 then rebranded the previous gen as the R6S to stay in the line-up at a cheaper cost.)

max_21_Honda_CRF450R_RR3Q_1200x675_428365.jpg

Edited by ah665
  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, ah665 said:

Here it is. We can continue any brand fanboy talk here, if need be. Personally I like the move. I think Honda was on to something with the 09-12 bike and then really went in the wrong direction with 13. Hopefully this bike gets back to the small, light agile way of thinking with those 09-12 bikes. It seemed like Reed and a lot of racers loved that generation, even though it did not do well in some shootouts. The duals are totally stupid and I am glad they are gone. The addition of some modern components is also nice. The intake tract is very interesting. It's almost like a hybrid KTM,Yam and Kawi set-up. I like it!  Plus they are continuing the '20 CRF450 in the lineup at a cheaper price, which is a fantastic Idea (sort of how in 06 when Yamaha offered the new R6 then rebranded the previous gen as the R6S to stay in the line-up at a cheaper cost.)

max_21_Honda_CRF450R_RR3Q_1200x675_428365.jpg

I liked the 13, it was the first Honda 450 I thought handled well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

first note, Looks good.....but also like is missing something, kinda vanilla-ish

second note, the rear fender sucks, it should be dead level or pointing downward slightly...im not going to swing a leg over that fender without hooking a foot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One of the smartest things they're doing is offering the old bike at a reduced price. Hopefully it's quite a bit cheaper not just a little. That will really open some doors for more people to buy a bike they could compete on. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, daled said:

first note, Looks good.....but also like is missing something, kinda vanilla-ish

second note, the rear fender sucks, it should be dead level or pointing downward slightly...im not going to swing a leg over that fender without hooking a foot.

It's missing some sort of graphic on the swingarm. I think if they added that your eye wouldn't see it as so vanilla. I felt the same way when looking at it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, mxaniac said:

Not much lighter, I'll pass.

Ya that is a bummer. I was hoping it would close the gap a bit but it didn't. Otherwise, it seems like a good direction that they are going. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, KTMRider4Life said:

It's missing some sort of graphic on the swingarm. I think if they added that your eye wouldn't see it as so vanilla. I felt the same way when looking at it. 

spacer.png

Works Edition looks cool and gives an idea of how it'll look with backgrounds and stickers. I like.

  • Like 3
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ah665 said:

spacer.png

Works Edition looks cool and gives an idea of how it'll look with backgrounds and stickers. I like.

Interesting how flat (gun metal gray) the aluminum has become. I wonder how that will wear. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Im not a fanboy at all. I have no concern what bike I ride. I pic the one that has the overall most balanced set of virtues even if its ugly. Take that into consideration....

I dont see anything to get excited about on the new Honda.

Its still too heavy. There have been some moves to get a bit lighter BUT they are not the comprehensive shaving of metal and redesign that will be necessary to close in on KTM

Im sure its a decent bike BUT they haven't made a big move here. 

It is good to see them get rid of the ridiculous twin pipe

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Would a single pipe have made the 2020 just as light ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

probably close, I suspect much of the weight lost was the pipe and a little in the frame

The problem the jap bikes face is to get to fighting weight will mean a serious redesign of just about every single part. Old parts in a new wrapper are not going to cut it

Thats a very tall order 

KTM struck at just the right time. 

Edited by lowmass
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good that they got rid of the duals, that was just dumb.  I generally don't like the looks of bikes with body colored number plates...don't like the looks of the Kawis or Yams with that, but the Honda looks better with them than most. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

agree , I think it looks better than my KTM. And red is always gona be better color than road cone

  • Like 3
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, lowmass said:

Im not a fanboy at all. I have no concern what bike I ride. I pic the one that has the overall most balanced set of virtues even if its ugly. Take that into consideration....

I dont see anything to get excited about on the new Honda.

Its still too heavy. There have been some moves to get a bit lighter BUT they are not the comprehensive shaving of metal and redesign that will be necessary to close in on KTM

Im sure its a decent bike BUT they haven't made a big move here. 

It is good to see them get rid of the ridiculous twin pipe

 

The weight is a bummer, but overall the bike looks to have a really awesome downdraft intake, which I'm sure it will scream. I'll be interested to hear about the motor, but to be honest, max hp isn't even a big deal to me, on a 450 lol. Delivery is though. Hopefully it handles great. Hondas usually corner nice. The suspension is probably good, but not great, as it seems mostly unchanged. The electronics package is pretty cool, but everyone has their own mapping / electronics system. No duals is just common sense, glad that phase is done. I still will not buy one, but I'm happy with the effort and direction.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...