ah665

motocross All About the 2021 Honda CRF450R

10 minutes ago, mog said:

Would a single pipe have made the 2020 just as light ?

The majority of the weigh saving were in the exhaust but also 1lb from frame

55 minutes ago, ah665 said:

Here it is. We can continue any brand fanboy talk here, if need be. Personally I like the move. I think Honda was on to something with the 09-12 bike and then really went in the wrong direction with 13. Hopefully this bike gets back to the small, light agile way of thinking with those 09-12 bikes. It seemed like Reed and a lot of racers loved that generation, even though it did not do well in some shootouts. The duals are totally stupid and I am glad they are gone. The addition of some modern components is also nice. The intake tract is very interesting. It's almost like a hybrid KTM,Yam and Kawi set-up. I like it!  Plus they are continuing the '20 CRF450 in the lineup at a cheaper price, which is a fantastic Idea (sort of how in 06 when Yamaha offered the new R6 then rebranded the previous gen as the R6S to stay in the line-up at a cheaper cost.)

max_21_Honda_CRF450R_RR3Q_1200x675_428365.jpg

Thats one cool looking ktm/husky...Man those side panels are shinking like the Merican budget, soon fans wont be able to see what number is winning or loosing from the stands, Is that a muffler big enough? Looks like its off a PeterBuilt rig, other than its not a 2 smoke, I guess its cool...

tumblr_lvw2p1P4pf1qa15sso1_400.jpg

Edited by M E T A L A C I D
  • Haha 1

Yea I agree "delivery" is the thang. My SXF has enough peak BUT I would like a bit better delivery and profile

It is a bit disconnect to the wheel at lower throttle, and, it would be great if I could pull through 3rd -4th gears at a bit lower rpm . 

who knows, the new honda may have a trully great delivery. That can make up for weight for now

1 hour ago, mog said:

What's its weight

2 lbs lighter than KTM. Extra clutch spring, plates but no wi fi tuner. Narrow as your ass 🤣

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, ah665 said:

The weight is a bummer, but overall the bike looks to have a really awesome downdraft intake, which I'm sure it will scream. I'll be interested to hear about the motor, but to be honest, max hp isn't even a big deal to me, on a 450 lol. Delivery is though. Hopefully it handles great. Hondas usually corner nice. The suspension is probably good, but not great, as it seems mostly unchanged. The electronics package is pretty cool, but everyone has their own mapping / electronics system. No duals is just common sense, glad that phase is done. I still will not buy one, but I'm happy with the effort and direction.

My 250 TC is tamed with green spring ,no 450 is slow enough for it to matter 

My friend said his 18 crf was way too fast ,he did everything to slow it ,he was 4th in UK over 50 class ,he's no slouch 

5 minutes ago, 777654321 said:

2 lbs lighter than KTM. Extra clutch spring, plates but no wi fi tuner. Narrow as your ass 🤣

I am so in your head you can't even rest lol 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, lowmass said:

Yea I agree "delivery" is the thang. My SXF has enough peak BUT I would like a bit better delivery and profile

It is a bit disconnect to the wheel at lower throttle, and, it would be great if I could pull through 3rd -4th gears at a bit lower rpm . 

who knows, the new honda may have a trully great delivery. That can make up for weight for now

Keefer did a write up on this ,I think he used a vortex ignition ,?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mog said:

My friend said his 18 crf was way too fast ,he did everything to slow it ,he was 4th in UK over 50 class ,he's no slouch 

I am so in your head you can't even rest lol 

Actually you were up my ass for awhile but I relieved myself of that 😂🤪

• Haha 7

58 minutes ago, 777654321 said:

Actually you were up my ass for awhile but I relieved myself of that 😂🤪

I will be back 😆😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, KTMRider4Life said:

One of the smartest things they're doing is offering the old bike at a reduced price. Hopefully it's quite a bit cheaper not just a little. That will really open some doors for more people to buy a bike they could compete on. 

I bet they will now offer 2020 crf450 for the same price as 2021 kx450 otd lol

Its actually like an expensive kaw now, same susp, no coatings.. The engine i bet it screams..

Edited by casing daily

2 hours ago, mog said:

My 2013 CRF450R wasn't just gutless, it had no over-rev.  The stock 54HP would have been enough, except I was still shifting all the way in to the corner.  It needed a broader torque curve with some over-rev to be effective.  I think I only rode it once before I tore it down and sent the head off, very disappointing.

Edited by mxaniac
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, daled said:

first note, Looks good.....but also like is missing something, kinda vanilla-ish

second note, the rear fender sucks, it should be dead level or pointing downward slightly...im not going to swing a leg over that fender without hooking a foot.

Totally agree on your fender assessment, it kinda looks like a cheesy restyle kit for an older model 

3 hours ago, mxaniac said:

I liked the 13, it was the first Honda 450 I thought handled well.

13 was an improvement in many ways. I bought one and removed the dual exhaust and then took it all the way with everything except a big bore kit and porting  this beast is pushing 60+hp 

48D3D8B6-AF27-49C9-8A85-00370B11230A.jpeg

FCE51DD9-D04A-4E0C-84B2-892E07ECB0CA.jpeg

94065860-36F6-40A9-A171-118D22DD0F74.jpeg

EEA01F8B-0276-4D54-ABAD-032778CB2548.jpeg

C4567D96-D5E4-4694-BE4C-9C184C5F0302.jpeg

0B652545-0281-4CF7-87F7-08DF286961A0.jpeg

Edited by Daniel Stephan
  • Like 3
  • Helpful 2

2 hours ago, lowmass said:

Oh stop it! Get some cams from pro circuit. Get head work from them. Bore the throttle body. Open air box up more. Your lighter better bike will be insane! You will be impressed by a full top end build. PC is reliable as well. They use the very best pieces built by CP, and others. 

I'll stay quietly happy if you bypass all that and just send the ecu to Tokyo Mods....might get all that out of a full tune...

Try it out .🤙

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

So 244lbs curb weight meaning full of gas? My Husky FX450 is 245lbs full to the brim. I wonder how much my 18 inch rear tire setup weighs vs the 19? Still about 5-6LBS heavier than the KTM 450s.

Edited by Zinergy
  • Like 2