ah665

motocross All About the 2021 Honda CRF450R

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, phantom451 said:

I think race fuel would be required to get that extra your looking for.  even the kawi on on its lean coupler or most aggressive likes race fuel.

yea probably, even stock I hear mild ping occasionally on my 18 sxf450 

maybe pump juice with a splash of octane boost enough? I dont want the race gas, hell I dont even want my air forks

spoiled

Edited by lowmass
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, lowmass said:

maybe pump juice with a splash of octane boost enough? I dont want the race gas, hell I dont even want my air forks

spoiled

I run Renegade HR93 in my 350. It's not race gas but it's ethanol free and w/o any junk that pump gas is. Bike runs perfect. And then I run HRP97 in the 125.  I find them both to be a good compromise between pump and full blown expensive race gas.

Edited by ah665
  • Like 1

Be surprised if it pings on decent pump gas ,not heard of one doing it over here 

Posted (edited)

yea I was surprised too. pump says 91 octane no alcohol

People are always commenting on how my bike isn't revving and I sneak up on them so maybe im in lug mode?

maybe 91 too low?

maybe its just chain noise? 

Edited by lowmass

42 minutes ago, OUTERLIMITS said:

I don't think a comparable steel frame would weigh less.  They are basically the same.

I remember reading that the KTM frame was 1lb lighter than a CRF frame but that was 10 years ago

I did find this article interesting. I always knew it was a money thing for the Jap manufactures but I had no idea KTM was looking at switching 

https://motocrossactionmag.com/amp/ask-the-mxperts-will-the-big-four-switch-to-steel-frames/

• Like 2
  • Helpful 1

Posted (edited)

yes it much easy cheap to manufacture the big aluminum frame with fewer parts

steel actually can be made lighter and still be reliable

I cant remember what year but I think the Germans were actually making steel fighter planes at one time

aluminum has no "resiliency" it is cracking from day one so u just make it big and rigid to avoid trouble, otherwise we would have alum springs

the smaller cross section and the fact that its a forging makes the more complicated Yamaha 2 stroke frame able to have better flex character BUT more expensive to make.  

Edited by lowmass
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, MotorBoatin said:

I remember reading that the KTM frame was 1lb lighter than a CRF frame but that was 10 years ago

I did find this article interesting. I always knew it was a money thing for the Jap manufactures but I had no idea KTM was looking at switching 

https://motocrossactionmag.com/amp/ask-the-mxperts-will-the-big-four-switch-to-steel-frames/

You should know better...

Think the Indian overlords are any different their European or Japanese or American counterparts and like spending extra money chewing up the margin???:D

• Like 2

1 hour ago, lowmass said:

People are always commenting on how my bike isn't revving and I sneak up on them so maybe im in lug mode?

maybe 91 too low?

My CRF was pinging, had a tough time finding out why because sensor values weren't published.  Turned out the TPS, which is adjustable, was way off.

• Like 1

Suzuki used a special aluminum alloy on their original GSXR series bikes. IIRC, it was "MR787" type alloy. It was very strong with regards to "bending" but "stretched" easily, compared to other alum alloy candidates. Since the stretch phenom was only an issue down by the rear engine/swingarm mounts, it was chosen. 

Sorry, that's all I got re: aluminum frames on bikes. 

(Cars, are a different animal...)

Posted (edited)

hmm yea not sure what "MR787" is

If its a 700 series aluminum then yes it has a higher ( about 2X) "yield strength" than the lawn chair variety Alum

even still its bad news when trying to design in flex and flex is a serious tuning tool

We see the spars getting smaller on the Al frames over the years as they get more confident in what they can get away with but I suspect they have reached the limit

Maybe in future we see a "hinged" frame design with compressible elastomer inserts u can change out to dial in wanted flex. That way the Japs can save face and have a leg up on steel.

or instead of an actual hinge they use a steel "flex link". a sort of hybrid frame of steel and aluminum

more complexity, yea thats the ticket....

I personally want to see 175 and 370cc air cooled 2 strokes , and a revolution back to masculinity 😉

Edited by lowmass
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, lowmass said:

spoiled

Dude! The race fuel give a 1hp gain if you do the best vp for your bike. It actually might be something to try. You possibly would like it. I'm race fuel only on my 2t bikes cause I like lots of oil in them. They do go really good that way for me. Try a bucket of oxygenated fuel and see if its something that's better for you.

• Like 1

On 7/14/2020 at 10:44 AM, KTMRider4Life said:

It's missing some sort of graphic on the swingarm. I think if they added that your eye wouldn't see it as so vanilla. I felt the same way when looking at it. 

Put a # 94 on the back plates to break up the vanilla

7 hours ago, lowmass said:

maybe 91 too low?

Its truth... you run it you know! 

Unhappy ktm guy dont have a team to fix it... go get a forkner yz450! I here nothing but good things from locals. They love the bike! Wicked good suspension wicked engine. Heavy is only complaint. Grab one! Trade your 18 straight up for a 20'

• Like 1

I'm a 2t guy. These 4t never were good. All kx450's 

Yz250 was a clear idea that all 2 stroke fix my 4t problem. Ktm250sx is going to be my experiment. My buddy is trying to push me towards a new bike to race him. He didnt like old yz beating his ass. I'm gonna go 2 stroke again... but look at these new 250's! Freaking kx,ya, ready to go bro!

12 hours ago, phantom451 said:

I think race fuel would be required to get that extra your looking for.  even the kawi on on its lean coupler or most aggressive likes race fuel.

Your just pumping VP you Outlaw 🤣

Posted (edited)

well heres the thang. On my better days when I carry a bit more speed everywhere, the power profile matters much less. Momentum is like a flywheel, it just smooths everything out

Im at that point now where im on the edge of that speed most of the time, all I need is just a bit of refinement in the overall  "Thrustworthyness"

is that a word?

Edited by lowmass
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, MANIAC998 said:

I’ve got 10gals ordered up, just on phantoms recommendation alone!!

Im gonna be sooooooooo fast!!!!

He checked the squish on my head with the same gum hes chewing.

• Haha 4