ah665

motocross All About the 2021 Honda CRF450R

On 7/15/2020 at 3:36 PM, lowmass said:

hmm yea not sure what "MR787" is

If its a 700 series aluminum then yes it has a higher ( about 2X) "yield strength" than the lawn chair variety Alum

even still its bad news when trying to design in flex and flex is a serious tuning tool

We see the spars getting smaller on the Al frames over the years as they get more confident in what they can get away with but I suspect they have reached the limit

Maybe in future we see a "hinged" frame design with compressible elastomer inserts u can change out to dial in wanted flex. That way the Japs can save face and have a leg up on steel.

or instead of an actual hinge they use a steel "flex link". a sort of hybrid frame of steel and aluminum

more complexity, yea thats the ticket....

I personally want to see 175 and 370cc air cooled 2 strokes , and a revolution back to masculinity 😉

• Like 2

I think it looks really nice, clean and lean!

Maybe I haven't been updating myself on newer fourstrokes, but what is the "bubble" on the exhaust pipe? Is it like a smaller version of the big twostroke volume/shape that optimizes resistance from stroke to stroke...?

9 hours ago, XRforestcityrider said:

I think it looks really nice, clean and lean!

Maybe I haven't been updating myself on newer fourstrokes, but what is the "bubble" on the exhaust pipe? Is it like a smaller version of the big twostroke volume/shape that optimizes resistance from stroke to stroke...?

Resonance chamber, they’ve been around a while only made it to dirt bikes in the past 5-10 years. FMF started it with their power bomb / mega bomb headers, KTM / husqvarna was the first to implement it from the factory around 2016 iirc, using a Helmholtz style resonator. 

The resonator is tuned to counteract the resonant frequency of the engine / exhaust combo, which can increase power at that specific rpm by smoothing exhaust flow.

On cars they’re mainly used to counteract drone at a certain rpm - one of the reasons aftermarket exhausts can cause really bad drone is because when you remove the stock resonator (usually helmholtz style) there is nothing to counteract the natural resonant frequency, so at a specific rpm a resonant wave sets up and causes really bad droning. If you've ever been in a car with a modified exhaust that had a real bad drone at say 3400 rpm, but didn’t drone at higher or lower revs, that’s what was happening.

• Like 3

On 7/14/2020 at 1:46 PM, ah665 said:

👇 spacer.png

Works Edition looks cool and gives an idea of how it'll look with backgrounds and stickers. I like.

I like my Honda's to look like Honda's not KTM wannabes. Ugly a$$ bike. May perform, maybe, but I like my bikes to look bada$$ too. That doesn't. Two thumbs down, way down....

Edited by HRC27

57 minutes ago, HRC27 said:

I like my Honda's to look like Honda's not KTM wannabes. 

Agreed. Now they look like the KTM Gas Gas clones. Where’s the corporate identity?

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Into the sunset said:

Agreed. Now they look like the KTM Gas Gas clones. Where’s the corporate identity?

I know, right!? I hoped it was just Gajser's bike since KTM is so big in MX2 and MXGP, not so.   I'd buy a leftover 2019 or 2020 but not that. Love the looks of the '19 and '20. Best looking bike Honda has come out with in some time IMO.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HRC27 said:

I like my Honda's to look like Honda's not KTM wannabes. Ugly a$$ bike. May perform, maybe, but I like my bikes to look bada$$ too. That doesn't. Two thumbs down, way down....

Thats fair. Looks are subjective though. Personally, I feel like it's the best looking offering from Honda, since the 12 450. I hated the duals and just not a fan of the last 2 gen bikes. But looks aside, I like the thinking and direction of this bike, so that is more important to me than the plastics.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, HRC27 said:

I agree it looks like a KTM engine with red Kawasiki plastics on it. The works bike looks better I like the white number plates.

Edited by Mr.Vroom
  • Like 1

Last time I went to buy a bike I bought a KTM. This after decades of buying Honda. 

I walked into the dealer ready to buy the stodgy looking Austrian bike and my eyes immediately said, "dude the red bike is soooo much better looking!"

I was surprised the fight going on in my mind. I knew the road cone was the better bike by a good margin BUT my heart wanted the Red bike.

Then I remembered my first wife. Stunning to look at, nightmare to live with.

I bought the Orange bike. 2 years latter I am glad i did. Best bike Ive ever owned. 

My eyes however still haven't gotten over it

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, lowmass said:

I bought the Orange bike. 2 years latter I am glad i did. Best bike Ive ever owned. 

Funny part is, it seemed like you had kinda been avoiding @KTMRider4Life around that time.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, lowmass said:

Then I remembered my first wife. Stunning to look at, nightmare to live with.

That’s gold! 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, redrider144 said:

Funny part is, it seemed like you had kinda been avoiding @KTMRider4Life around that time.

? not sure I know what ya mean. Was he on a rant about KTM "superior intellect and education" 

Ive learned to stay quiet even when Im on the same page. Age has some advantages 😉

15 minutes ago, Into the sunset said:

That’s gold! 

Ha the experience wasn't, BUT the wisdom that came from it sure was

Edited by lowmass

25 minutes ago, redrider144 said:

I never noticed, and I'm pretty good about those things... 

22 minutes ago, lowmass said:

? not sure I know what ya mean. Was he on a rant about KTM "superior intellect and education" 

Ive learned to stay quiet even when Im on the same page. Age has some advantages 😉

Not sure how I'm supposed to feel about this....🤔

The white ktm is the answer looks ,and performance. That said I like the 21 ,its still too heavy.

Im usually pretty good about those things too but just dont remember

Not to worry , no dig intended, just trying to remember two years ago

I think a number of us were making the case for KTMs advancement and I was maybe on the edge of pulling trigger??

"...." the quote  was my  attempt at humor? From the 3 Amigos or somthin like that Ha 

• Helpful 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, KTMRider4Life said:

never noticed, and I'm pretty good about those things... 

Around that time, when I told you that @lowmass bought a KTM, I remember you telling me that you'd been wondering why he'd been seemingly avoiding you here in TT Pro.

Edited by redrider144
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, lowmass said:

Im usually pretty good about those things too but just dont remember

Not to worry , no dig intended, just trying to remember two years ago

I think a number of us were making the case for KTMs advancement and I was maybe on the edge of pulling trigger??

"...." the quote  was my  attempt at humor? From the 3 Amigos or somthin like that Ha 

If I recall correctly, you were in the "another hater converted" category.