ah665

motocross All About the 2021 Honda CRF450R

Posted (edited)

ha well it may have seemed that way BUT I am very good at getting misunderstood. Partly my own fault and partly because truth and naivete' combined have a way of getting ya in trouble.

I was actually "converted" years before I  bought the road cone. Was just waiting for a smokin deal to finally arrive.

Bought the 2018 450 new in 2019 for 6900$

wait maybe bought in late 2018? anyway it was a "leftover"

In fact I was starting to get impressed with KTM design long before they refined everything enough to start making a truly good bike. 

Edited by lowmass
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, lowmass said:

ha well it may have seemed that way BUT I am very good at getting misunderstood. Partly my own fault and partly because truth and naivete' combined have a way of getting ya in trouble.

I was actually "converted" years before I  bought the road cone. Was just waiting for a smokin deal to finally arrive.

Bought the 2018 450 new in 2019 for 6900$

wait maybe bought in late 2018? anyway it was a "leftover"

In fact I was starting to get impressed with KTM design long before they refined everything enough to start making a truly good bike. 

Is it normal for them to sell the previous years models at such a big markdown from MSRP? Yamaha sure doesn't do that.

14 hours ago, OKDinosaur said:

Resonance chamber, they’ve been around a while only made it to dirt bikes in the past 5-10 years. FMF started it with their power bomb / mega bomb headers, KTM / husqvarna was the first to implement it from the factory around 2016 iirc, using a Helmholtz style resonator. 

The resonator is tuned to counteract the resonant frequency of the engine / exhaust combo, which can increase power at that specific rpm by smoothing exhaust flow.

On cars they’re mainly used to counteract drone at a certain rpm - one of the reasons aftermarket exhausts can cause really bad drone is because when you remove the stock resonator (usually helmholtz style) there is nothing to counteract the natural resonant frequency, so at a specific rpm a resonant wave sets up and causes really bad droning. If you've ever been in a car with a modified exhaust that had a real bad drone at say 3400 rpm, but didn’t drone at higher or lower revs, that’s what was happening.

Ok, thanx a lot for the info! It was something like that I thought but - explained, and with the right words...

17 hours ago, indy rider said:

Is it normal for them to sell the previous years models at such a big markdown from MSRP? Yamaha sure doesn't do that.

I dont know whats normal really. This the first new bike Ive bought in 10 years. Ive been on 2007-2008 CRF450 all that time. Went through a bunch of them. Kept finding good deals on used ones . I was watching KTM refine there 450 the whole time. Wasnt till 2016 that I decided KTM was the bike to buy BUT even then it took two years till that deal came along. Cernics in Pa had a bunch of 18s left over and needed to dump them I guess

I actually wanted Yamaha. But IMO they just didnt get that thing right yet

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, lowmass said:

I dont know whats normal really. This the first new bike Ive bought in 10 years. Ive been on 2007-2008 CRF450 all that time. Went through a bunch of them. Kept finding good deals on used ones . I was watching KTM refine there 450 the whole time. Wasnt till 2016 that I decided KTM was the bike to buy BUT even then it took two years till that deal came along. Cernics in Pa had a bunch of 18s left over and needed to dump them I guess

I actually wanted Yamaha. But IMO they just didnt get that thing right yet

At that price, they really wanted to move that bike. Nice score! 

On 7/14/2020 at 11:05 AM, lowmass said:

Im not a fanboy at all. I have no concern what bike I ride. I pic the one that has the overall most balanced set of virtues even if its ugly. Take that into consideration....

I dont see anything to get excited about on the new Honda.

Its still too heavy. There have been some moves to get a bit lighter BUT they are not the comprehensive shaving of metal and redesign that will be necessary to close in on KTM

Im sure its a decent bike BUT they haven't made a big move here. 

It is good to see them get rid of the ridiculous twin pipe

Usually the best overall balanced but not the “best” bike winds up being a Kawasaki, it is just pretty good at everything but not the best in any single segment, depending. Obviously, there is no fact when it comes to best bike to people though, but some stats are directly good or bad.

4 hours ago, GCBC said:

waiting for mine anxiously 

A ride report is in order..  Please post one when you're able..   Thnxz..