Sign in to follow this  

mobil syn.

i was wanting to know, i am using suzuki brand of oil know, and i want to go to synthetic, and i have some mobil 100% syn. and want to know if i use that oil, will i be able to change to amsoil in the future with no problems? also are any of the stainless oil filters on ebay any good?

thanks, mike

Mobil 15W-50 with the red cap is what I use. I just put it in at 1500 miles. I plan on using it from here on out. Amsoil is a great product. I'm no expert but if I was you, if your planning on using Amsoil skip the Mobil and go striaght to the Amsoil. I'm not a big fan of changing oil brands.

All synthetics must be compatable with dino oil and each other now. Was not always the case. I use mobil 1, but why would you use mobil one then change to amsol, just go straight to amsol or what you eventually want to use.

I use Amsoil in my KXL400 and my son's KLX110. I use it in all of my vehicles and have for the past 15 or so years. Good Stuff :thumbsup:

Ditto on Amsoil. Please excuse my ignorance because I don't own one yet, but I'm a little confused on whether the DRZ400e is wet or dry sump. Suzuki's web site says it's wet under spec's and dry under features. Which is it? It makes a big difference in the type of oil used. If it's dry, isn't the tranny oil separate from the engine oil, whereas if it's wet don't they share the same oil?

I like Mobil 1 and do not believe there would be any problem changing between Mobil and Amsoil but as suggested by others why not just go striaght to amsoil.

Passnthru - DRZ is dry sump which means oil is pumped to the frame allowing a "thinner" sump. Makes no difference to sharing lube with gearbox as it is still all pumped around to ensure full lubrication, it is just not stored in the sump.

((What problems could arise from switching oil brands/types? ))

The main thing would be Gelling, but I've ran amzoil, Valvoline, belray , castrol, and suzuki. They are compatible.

Where you might have issue is with oils of synthetic Esters Motul/silkolene, may have issue with any degree of mix.

I'm running motul semi-synthetic, what should I do if I want to change to a different oil?

But if I change to an oil that is not compatable, the oil could gel, right? Or is that only if add a non-compatable oil to my Motul?

I was speaking to adding on top of an existing oil with compatiblity. Doing a full drain and filter the residual shouldn't be an issue.

OK, but if the same oil is used for the tranny as the engine itself, the oil would have to be different than if the tranny was separate, because of the clutch, i.e. you can't use super slippery oil (designated SL) on your clutch, or the bike she no go :thumbsup: because the clutch can't generate enough friction to hold. You'd have to use Amsoils (or some onther brand) JASO MA designated motor cycle specific oil. Modern motor oils formulated for cars are formulated for max' gas mileage, so they are made as slippery as possible. Jaso MA oils don't have those extra "super slippery" additives, therefore your clutch will get adequate friction to actually work, which is a good thing :awww:. I know it's a little strange to think of some oils as not being real slippery, but that's my understanding.