Anyone have any tricks to stop this from happening?IMG_20200718_141013.jpg.335d1b2f672227d84bced806d27cffb7.jpg

7 minutes ago, Boshwa said:

Anyone have any tricks to stop this from happening?IMG_20200718_141013.jpg.335d1b2f672227d84bced806d27cffb7.jpg

Why is there a hose clamp on the brake line.

• Haha 1

Originally the housing was sliding so the braided line would slide out the bottom, the hose clamp is stopping it

10 minutes ago, Tony Wyp said:

Why is there a hose clamp on the brake line.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, Boshwa said:

Take pics at different angles, of the gap in the bike's clamp, done up tight, with no hose in there.

Put the hose back in the bike's clamp and take a few photos.

Edited by Tony Wyp

Posted (edited)

Added some safety wire, thanks @eastreich!

Here it is... I know it's in wrong, but putting it the correct way doesn't apply enough clamping force. Might buy new clamping plates and try and ditch the hose clamp, looks like they're still available for my bike (1992 kx125)

IMG_20200718_144443.thumb.jpg.fb7ac07b34ddbcd581a1a3d8e37a3e3e.jpg

Edited by Boshwa

27 minutes ago, Boshwa said:

Originally the housing was sliding so the braided line would slide out the bottom, the hose clamp is stopping it

You can also use the safety wire to keep the sheath/cover from sliding as well.

Ditch the hose clamp and safety wire the top and bottom locations for the sheath.

1595098583451571331516317572083.jpg

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

24 minutes ago, Boshwa said:

Added some safety wire, thanks @eastreich!

Here it is... I know it's in wrong, but putting it the correct way doesn't apply enough clamping force. Might buy new clamping plates and try and ditch the hose clamp, looks like they're still available for my bike (1992 kx125)

The clamps have bent out of shape over time.

Take them off, bolt them together and squeeze them up in a vice, to minimize the gap.

...or bash them with a hammer..

• Like 2

Thanks guys, went out for another moto and it stayed on. Will get it properly fixed for next time!

IMG_20200718_153049.jpg.5c153160b37ccc2ff49ab24d1092a719.jpg

16 minutes ago, Boshwa said:

Thanks guys, went out for another moto and it stayed on. Will get it properly fixed for next time!

IMG_20200718_153049.jpg.5c153160b37ccc2ff49ab24d1092a719.jpg

Nice ride, man !

• Like 1

DeVol makes a super heavy duty guard for some models. CRs were notorious for that problem also. Disc guards usually incorporate a brake line guard on their mounting, but DeVol used to make a separate brake line shield for some models. Maybe they are still being offered for your bike? Have a look at their catalog

If I'm not mistaken, BOTH halves of the clamp should be on the SAME side of the mounting flange.

The flange should not be between the clamp halves; it will keep the clamp from squeezing the brakeline.

Something like this:

image.png.be5bbd9456c974e97ca6ec99b150df49.png

Instead of this:

3 hours ago, Boshwa said:

• Like 7
  • Helpful 3

You may also be able to drill the front side of the clamp for safety wire, which will keep it from spreading.  That's what I did on the cheesy front brake cable clamp on my '77 Suzuki RM125B.  Made this little tweak in 1980 and it's still holding up 40 years later.  🙂

1782283744_FrntBrakeCableClamp.thumb.jpg.1fb19713a03d8091b584ad413cc4cdeb.jpg

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, cpdave said:

You may also be able to drill the front side of the clamp for safety wire, which will keep it from spreading.  That's what I did on the cheesy front brake cable clamp on my '77 Suzuki RM125B.  Made this little tweak in 1980 and it's still holding up 40 years later.  🙂

1782283744_FrntBrakeCableClamp.thumb.jpg.1fb19713a03d8091b584ad413cc4cdeb.jpg

I like safety wire ... the whole radiator of my 1964 Morris 1100 was held in place with safety wire. Also had slipping clutch because of primary seal oil leak and routinely tried to pour coke and flour through this inspection hole to stop it 🙂

learned that while watching Group B Ralley in early 80's when I was in UK.

• Like 1

Your brake hose routing is completely wrong. It should not be going under the fork or on the outside of the fork. The hose should be bolted to the brake caliber assembly with the hose pointing up. The hose should then be routed on the inside of the fork and the fork guard should have the hose clamp near the top. Please look at a new bike's front end to see the correct routing. I'm surprised you haven't ripped the brake line completely off the bike or caught it on something that could throw you over the bars. I attached a picture that shows the correct routing.

2004-Kawasaki-KX250-8-5.jpg

• Like 4

Your picture shown is not representative of the bike in original post. Your suggestion is correct and logical but not applicable to the bike in original post. Honda and Kawasaki and other brands used this poor routing method for some years. Extremely poor engineering to manufacture a dirt bike with brake line under fork leg. I think there may have been a kit to convert it to a sensible routing method with a replacement brake line as your picture illustrates, but I've forgotton specifics and manufacturer. I think the easy fix is the metal armor suggested that covers the exposed line under fork leg if it is still available.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, everlastneverfast said:

Your picture shown is not representative of the bike in original post. Your suggestion is correct and logical but not applicable to the bike in original post. Honda and Kawasaki and other brands used this poor routing method for some years. Extremely poor engineering to manufacture a dirt bike with brake line under fork leg. I think there may have been a kit to convert it to a sensible routing method with a replacement brake line as your picture illustrates, but I've forgotton specifics and manufacturer. I think the easy fix is the metal armor suggested that covers the exposed line under fork leg if it is still available.

I stand corrected, I missed looking at those years that the disk brake cover acted as the hose guard and hid the fact that the routing is under the fork leg. That being said, I would definitely try to get the correct disk guard or the metal armor to protect the hose. 

Edited by PRPhil
  • Like 3