Evan D

No start- fuel injector?

Posted (edited)

I only have 3000 miles on it but don't let that influence your answer please.  I have a EJK, header and pipe too.

I hadn't ridden the bike all winter, started every now and then but not really ridden in a while. Took it for a ride last weekend and when pulling to a stop it would die.

Drained the gas and it was pretty dark. Pulled the pump out of the tank and the prefilter had some dirt and the filter looked dark. Ordered a new filter and put it in Friday. Started it and the bike ran great. perfect idle. So today, Sunday, I figure I'd take it for a ride. won't start, not even close. I have great fuel flow and pressure to the injector but there was almost nothing out of the injector. Cleaned it both direction using a 9v battery to open it and it flows better but still not great. How strong of a stream should it have?

I do have good spark.

Before I order another injector is there something else I should consider/ check? 

RMC has them for $110, is that about cheapest?

Edit, I found this on Amazon, any reason not to buy it?

Unlimited Rider Fuel Injector For Honda CB300F 16-18, CRF250L 13-18...

Edited by Evan D

11 hours ago, Evan D said:

Before I order another injector is there something else I should consider/ check? 

Hi Evan,

I've never heard of an injector failing except from really bad fuel, and normally a clean with a 9v battery is enough...I'd disconnect the EJK and see if that cures the problem. When I first fitted mine it would regularly stop when pulling up to a junction, after a week or so it adjusted itself and now only does it on very rare occasions.

Cheers

Neil

Not that simple now since I did replace the filter and it did run just after. The issue now is it won't start at all. 

I did clean the injector (9v and carb spray) and the spray through it was a little better but still no start. I have a new injector coming, out for delivery today, next day delivery with Amazon is nice.

At this point I have to assume that there was something that changing the fuel filter push down stream and into the injector.

I did disconnect the EJK and reconnect the injector direct trying to start it and no change.

It's freaking crazy what can be wrong and it's always the last thing you check, right?

Spark plug.

It was one of the first things I looked at and it sparked okay holding it against the case... Weird it ran great after the filter change and the next morning it wouldn't at all...

• Like 1

Wow that’s weird! Any idea what went wrong with the plug? You said it had spark, maybe cracked porcelain?  Did you just replace it and it started? 

Pretty much. I didn't have the same plug so I used an old one from my R-1 and it started right up. Odd... It now have a clean fuel filter and new injector... Todays project is adding 3" to the kick stand.

My kickstand was working out fine until i went with a taller rear tire. 110/100/18 i think? Something like that. Anyway now it wants to fall over on dirt AND i need to add like 2 teeth to the rear sprocket. I can actually feel the difference in “gearing” with the taller tire. 

Taller tire but really springing the front and back has mine sitting a lot taller. Ended up with 2 1/2” added to the kick stand.

You are welcome! Between front and rear suspension and new full knobbies it could have even used 3".