Aftermarket BIG Valve Cylinder Head

41 minutes ago, Confederate said:

Now to address the hard landings. My bone stock 100 will bottom both ends at the same time. Need to get Bruce to do his magic on the damper rods. Then what to do for the rear.

Screenshot_20200906-214658.thumb.png.d6861c2d7dbfaf3b87983c56164aac65.png

• Like 1

On ‎9‎/‎5‎/‎2020 at 5:07 PM, mixxer said:

bronze bushings

Make sure you keep em greased.

• Like 1

On 9/8/2020 at 7:07 AM, Doogee57 said:

Make sure you keep em greased.

I'm always torn between the red mobile 1 grease and High Moly grease...  I used the mobil 1 this time on everything...

1 hour ago, mixxer said:

High Moly grease... 

My preferred swill. Been using it for over 35 years, ever since I studied up on molybdenum disulfide. Film strength on that stuff is higher than virtually all steels. Mixed with a good base grease and it's da bomb. Linkage bearings on my 05 CRF250 have had 60% (+) moly paste in them since new and are still good with no play. Swing arm bearings too. My XR200 has plain bushings in it's linkage. Moly paste in there too, and a shot of high moly content in the zerks on regular basis. They're still good too. Use for anti-seize on fasteners too.

• Like 2
  • Helpful 2

I still have cans... Steel cans of the BelRay moly paste...

For years I have made my own high % Moly grease by mixing in gobs of the BelRay to synthetic grease... has worked very well... 

I'm not sure why I have been just using "out of the can" Mobil 1🤔

My mother nicknamed me "her little mixer" when I was a child... because I could never leave anything alone ... Always wondering if I could mix up a better soap or whatever... 

I guess I'm slipping....

28 minutes ago, mixxer said:

For years I have made my own high % Moly grease by mixing in gobs of the BelRay

Yup, me too. Although I haven't found the Bel Ray in a long time. Honda 60% moly, or lately, Dow GN Paste.

2 hours ago, mixxer said:

red mobile 1 grease

Got a tube of that stuff too. I use it on rubber stuff (fork seals, wipers, etc.) "Dogger" (here on T-talk) said it works as good or better than the big bucks little bitty tin of Pro Circuit suspension grease. Never used the Pro Circuit stuff, just went with the Mobil 1 red stuff. Works great. Works great on less highly stressed stuff too. If it's high stress,,,, it gets the moly. ALWAYS.

And never the pressure washer. It'll force water in any bearings and then they're toast (iron oxide, actually). Unless,,, You're a factory mechanic and gonna do a COMPLETE tear-down every week. If that, go ahead and blast away with the pressure washer.

• Like 1

Just got this Vonkat shock in and installed....

What a fantastic upgrade ...

Better spring rate for adult riders...

Adjustable pre-load...

Gas charged...

Much better dampening characteristics....

And about a 30% increase in travel to boot...!!

$250 well spent IMO...

1031753385_IMG_20200921_1909482.thumb.jpg.e70ad59ad7393d73d5542ebfdc79333d.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mixxer said:

Adjustable pre-load...

Gas charged...

$250 well spent IMO...

That’s the problem with having too much money. Too many fun things to have and do but then your money shall soon part. 

Wait did I say that. 

I didn’t mean it. That’s exactly why we have money. 😝 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, mixxer said:

And next up,,,,, a fork upgrade. Maybe, even, a whole swap.  :thinking:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Doogee57 said:

And next up,,,,, a fork upgrade. Maybe, even, a whole swap.  :thinking:

LOL... For the moment I have Motul 15wt fork oil coming Thursday...

And maybe a bit of pvc used as pre-load... Or possibly cut some off the tighter wound soft coil section and add a spacer...

Forks , believe it or not, are nowhere near the emergency that the OEM shock is..  shock is useless...

If I put CR80 forks on... Then my new shock becomes the weak link again...😳🙄☹️

2 minutes ago, mixxer said:

If I put CR80 forks on...

This is the song that never ends...……………..:D

• Haha 1

Latest upgrade to the XR130R of Doom... A very small piece that made an enormous difference....

Spark / Timing advance is a science unto itself.... Timing the spark just enough before the piston reaches TDC such that the piston doesn't run into excess pressure still moving upward (negative power/ false load)... But on the way down the combustion charge is at maximum push on the piston , rather than "chasing" the piston down the bore...

Many many things determine how soon the spark needs to light to achieve maximum pressure/ power/ performance....

Air/ Fuel ratio....

Amount of Cylinder Fill...

Shape... Unobstructed and compact combustion chambers are the most efficient/ fast burn style...

Motion of the charge being lit... Preserved velocity from the intake charge + squish velocity from tight piston to flat section of head clearance... Tight throws a high speed charge wave towards the combustion chamber center... The whole idea is to have a turbulent hurricane in the combustion chamber when the spark lights...

The difference being somewhat easier to visualize if you think of 100 firecracker fuses all lined radially like flower petals from the combustion chamber edges and meeting at the spark plug... Light those from the center and see the burn rate as they all burn from center to the bore edge... That would be the example of a non turbulent mixture at time of spark... Low intake charge velocity and loose squish clearance...

Next imagine the combustion chamber has the same 100 fuses... But the chamber acts like a blender.. the turbulence would be as if the fuses were being chopped up into smaller pieces and spun around like twirling batons...all the lit ends spinning and lighting other positions of chopped spinning shorter and shorter fuse pieces... That is what a very effective fast burn combustion chamber works like... Lots of charge velocity... Lots of squish velocity... .much faster burn and more peak pressure pushing the piston down the bore .... More power

There are more factors... Like atmospheric variables ...and chosen fuel characteristics that impact charge burn date and optimum spark timing lead...

The Spartan Big Valve Head I used has an open/ unobstructed combustion chamber... And I set squish clearance to tight yet safe with the custom copper base gasket... Also increased intake velocity substantially with the HVP epoxy intake port work...

Until yesterday I had left the cdi box and the point of initial trigger of the timing stock

I had looked to see if a procom CDI was available for the 100 (not my favorite, but at least a known entity) ... But I do see a LOT of unknown source, yet fit a bunch of small Honda's CDI boxes out there...

All of them say higher rev limiter than stock.... But not stock what machine??? Or how high the rev limit actually is.... I would be fine with a stronger ignition advance curve, but I'm not looking for a higher rev limit... I like the safety of a rev limit...

Anyways... Since I was uncertain how everything would play together on the 100/130... I left stock CDI and stock flywheel key in for break in...

Today I put in the 4degree advance key in order to change the "Base" trigger timing 4 degrees sooner than stock... The results in this case are the most extreme I have encountered... The difference in response and instant pull is just absurd... Impossible to explain without having someone ride it... I can't stop grinning like a fool...

That big valve hemi head REALLY appreciates the extra spark lead time...

I can't stop grinning like an idiot...😁😁😁😁😁😁

• Like 4

Stock gearing is 14/50

Current gearing on the 130R is 15/46...

I will have to get a video with my younger/ lighter son Cameron riding it....

Yesterday my Viking sized son... Samuel ... Stopped by in the evening... 6'2" 240 pounds...

Sam rides a super torque built 5 valve YZ 450... And is a master of the short shift method to keep that beast from getting too far out of control...

So he's riding the xr130 bike around the track and climbing some of our hills... Just dinking around... Short shifting...

I flag him down and tell him to stop riding like an old lady and let it wind up a bit...

his sister and mother and I are hanging out in the barn that we use like a pavilion ....

He rides some more... Little bit more rpm... Still not into the meat of things though... Driving me crazy....

I flag him down and tell him to go to the straightaway other side of the pond ...first gear rolling start near idle...and grab a hand full and do some rolling start holeshot runs....... ( I don't want/ need real clutch abuse on this freshly built toy yet)

First throttle snap in first the front leaps skyward and shocks him and messes him up... Turn around and try again leaning forward....

Grabs a handful leaning his big torso forward ... Winds it out and grabs second gear to the tune of a huge whole gear foot and half high power wheelie.... Shocking to him again... But now he's laughing and yell up to us in the barn: 

"Hahaha Dad, OK now I see what you mean!!"

Then he does about half dozen more holeshot runs with the same result of a nice power wheelie through second ... Hauling ass to the top of 3rd .. and doing it over again and laughing...

This Honda 100 bike IS by far the best of the 3 I have built... I would hand it over to ANY jaded dirt biker and tell them to "Nut it up, Buttercup"... Guaranteed nobody would get off of this thing without being seriously surprised/ shocked by the power output....

When Cameron comes home from school for a visit (160 pounds with car keys ,a full wallet, and wet hair) I want to get some holeshot practice videos of him on it.... 

I still have a 30mm pumper carb on order... Supposed to get here Monday... To try in place of the 27mm pumper currently on it...

I have built race engines my entire life... Personally... For friends... For shops.. Commercially .... I'm only saying that for reference that I'm not unaccustomed to judging engine performance... 

If there's a faster XR100 based bike out there... I'd love to see it... I would line it up against ANY xr100 based engine with no hesitation whatsoever... This thing is more fun than a barrel of monkeys....🤘😎😁

Edited by mixxer
  • Like 2

On 9/21/2020 at 9:47 PM, mixxer said:

Adjustable pre-load...

Gas charged...

$250 well spent IMO...

Is the vonkatt longer or does it use a different linkage?

4 hours ago, vulcanduro said:

Is the vonkatt longer or does it use a different linkage?

Same length as OEM... There is a place that I can never remember the name of that makes a linkage piece to raise the seat height ... But I didn't buy one...

I think it's RH Moto Worx.. Not 100% sure... He is TT member also... Member name mrrcx... Maybe mrrx...

He makes all sorts of suspension swap stuff for mini's...

Edited by mixxer
  • Like 1

30mm pumper carb is in the house...

27mm pumper is working soooooooo well in the 130R that I wondered if there was anymore to be had without giving up any response... That's where a sharp line gets drawn.

27mm pz non pumper next to the 30mm for reference...

Stock carb was 22mm....

86035471_PXL_20201006_2055342452.thumb.jpg.9631fe90a6d5d48b82a2f721b2ff7c1c.jpg

PXL_20201006_205414774.thumb.jpg.ef58eebcd034b592fc4dbf38357fe1cf.jpg

• Like 2

27mm pumper currently on the bike... No choke assembly... Tuned in better than I hoped for... Sharp response... Lots of power...perfect...

Starting from cold is a bit of a several pump shot and throttle dance to get some heat in it..  lights right up... But needs some throttle voodoo to keep it running ... Engine warm is perfect all around...

But...

I wanted to try a pz30 pumper carb and see if I could leave the choke assembly intact... Still have throttle response and good WOT flow/ power...

We will see....

The accelerator pump assembly on the 30mm carb shoots good and straight right out of the gate...

I just couldn't leave the choke assembly alone... It's like a downed tree smack in the middle of the flow path....

Lots of cutting needed on the 2nd intake manifold I'm setting up just for it... 

Waiting on some strange style pilot jets before I try it out...

PXL_20201010_152703627.thumb.jpg.8dd2896c1fe92021dd80cc82a56d97d4.jpg

PXL_20201010_155754059.thumb.jpg.a11e2bedf4df2a4bcecc26677eed8dc5.jpg

PXL_20201010_191630707.thumb.jpg.f81fa26524c1cb164f15fe03eb507727.jpg

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
On 10/5/2020 at 2:12 AM, mixxer said:

If there's a faster XR100 based bike out there... I'd love to see it... I would line it up against ANY xr100 based engine with no hesitation whatsoever... This thing is more fun than a barrel of monkeys....🤘😎😁

I have 3 or 4  XR100 based bikes that will run rings around yours. 

The first photo below is of the slowest but most rideable- 100Kg on board.

Those Shift Up heads you were playing with are designed for an engine with 47 more cc than standard -57 bore/56.5 stroke- and a domed piston- dome volume is 3.5 cc...

When assembled thus they give around 12:1 and with a real camshaft- high lift and  short duration - and a decent carby they go well.

Second picture shows another build with a good head- Takegawa- that comfortably out powers 85 cc two strokes.

The two fastest, not shown, are out to 171cc,  running 31 and 32 Ti intake valves, properly big carburettors and revving to 16000 reliably.

Cheers.

XR75 Betty.jpg

Harry Clarky.jpg

Edited by Momus
  • Like 2