Aftermarket BIG Valve Cylinder Head

5 minutes ago, SteveThe Snakes said:

Oh yeah

Ok I’m envious, except it does not look like a sleeper so one look is all it takes to know that it’s fast. Would not work for me. 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, adnohguy said:

Ok I’m envious, except it does not look like a sleeper so one look is all it takes to know that it’s fast. Would not work for me. 

It kinda of looks like the WR250 they sell. Nowhere on it does it have a 450 sticker. Let alone a built 480cc. 

• Like 1

Sorry Steve.... The gold anodized suspension components are a dead giveaway....

• Haha 1

Stroker Crank looks like Japanese Quality...

+4mm / $225 not bad at all...

Stress relieved rod via polishing is a nice touch...

IMG_20200813_195546.thumb.jpg.70d0c025370c7dfef26fcf7cff4ea3b1.jpg

• Like 1

The valve train components that came with the Spartan head...

Plus a set of stock valves for comparison... 

The Spartan valves have considerably narrower stems...

Dual valve springs... Always like that... Valve springs, like most things, will have a certain frequency that will cause a sort of self amplifying wave vibration... Natural resonant frequency of the part... Can be disastrous in a valve spring..

Dual springs coupled on one valve has the advantage that both springs won't vibrate hard at the same frequency... So whichever one isn't ready to hit a vicious cycle of resonant vibration, will dampen the other spring out of it... And vise versa...

IMG_20200813_193727.thumb.jpg.83acbc9e995eb086a4ae619c0561d899.jpg

• Like 1

Head is back together....  It came with nice valve unshrouding out of the box...

The end of the spark plug threads were rough though.. a little pointy going into the combustion chamber...  I leaned on it a bit with a 1" Scotch Brite buff

IMG_20200813_195712.thumb.jpg.3853da9df1eb9e4daa6e6bc0d46e09ec.jpg

• Like 1

I took another look and took a pic of the intake port of the stock head...

Compared to the Spartan head, the stock heads intake is:

Straighter port to bowl... No angle as they meet .. that's good....

Doesn't have as tall of a bowl wall/ shorter room to blend SSR....  Not as good...

The bowl and pocket actually flare/ balloon wider than the diameter of the valve seat... And that's pretty strange...

Pic of stock:

1073019888_IMG_20200813_1959002.thumb.jpg.673a854c0f939a8fe64dc2778f95e5cd.jpg

and pic of the finished epoxy HVP head that's going on the bike:

IMG_20200812_201914.thumb.jpg.aaa85a7451b81c95aa98898994f75068.jpg

Edited by mixxer

Or... Another Honda for the Japanese market... The NSF100... It's cool, but I like the APE better ...

Screenshot_20200814-023308.png.6026db501f311b9d1358f95fae663262.png

9 hours ago, mixxer said:

Dual springs coupled on one valve has the advantage that both springs won't vibrate hard at the same frequency...

Just curious Mix, do you have any experience with " bee hive" valve springs? Also, my CRF"290" uses just a single spring, although I'm using Ron Hamp's springs ( which I believe are Ferrea's, developed by Ron).

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Doogee57 said:

Just curious Mix, do you have any experience with " bee hive" valve springs? Also, my CRF"290" uses just a single spring, although I'm using Ron Hamp's springs ( which I believe are Ferrea's, developed by Ron).

Beehive springs were supposed to resist runaway vibration by having changing shape and pitch... I never really read in depth about them...

I'm a big fan of the dual valve spring setup for reliability... I know why they are made, but I can't say as to real world liability difference between them and a well made single spring..

I've just sort of adopted a liking for the duals because of my tech readings... When I see a dual setup I immediately think "oh good, dual springs" lol....

On 7/26/2020 at 8:44 AM, mixxer said:

Wish there were port pics of those Kitaco and Takegawa heads .... 

spacer.pngspacer.png

Takegawa +R/stage 3 ports. 

spacer.pngspacer.pngkitaco se ports

I dont have any pics of the dually on my phone but I can snap a few next time im at the shop

• Helpful 1

11 hours ago, storminnorman07 said:

spacer.pngspacer.png

Takegawa +R/stage 3 ports. 

spacer.pngspacer.pngkitaco se ports

I dont have any pics of the dually on my phone but I can snap a few next time im at the shop

Great add to the thread!

The Takegawa ports look well engineered 🤘

3 hours ago, Doogee57 said:

Re the Takagawa ports; are those photos of the ports "as cast"?

Looks like they have had a bit of time under the knife to me.... Looking at the valve guide bosses...

The overall port shape looks good...  I think the casting started out with a better design ....

Edited by mixxer

2 hours ago, Doogee57 said:

Re the Takagawa ports; are those photos of the ports "as cast"?

Yes sir both set of pictures are virgin port pics. 

I would have thought the Takegawa head had post casting cutting done on the valve guide bosses...

Manufacturer's tend to shy away from castings with such sharp / raised ridges ...

2 hours ago, mixxer said:

Looks like they have had a bit of time under the knife to me.... Looking at the valve guide bosses...

The overall port shape looks good... Ad in I think the casting started out with a better design ....

Nope I dot not believe in leaving sharp edges like that in a port. The above pictures are as casted 100% virgin. These are after I molested them.

I have played with a lot of different heads tbe spartan/shift head, takegawa stage 1-2-3, takegawa +R, kitaco se, kitaco ultra se, kitaco dohc 4v, and daytonas sohc 4v. The dohc makes the most power followed by the takegawa +R. The dohc is a pricey sob and factory vakve train sucks. They come with little 3.7 or 3.8mm stems. At about the 20 hour marker they are toast. The R head more user friendly little better valve train.

20190726_010640.jpg

20190725_223826.jpg

• Helpful 1