kylektm

From a dirt riders perspective, how is road riding?

The title might sound silly, but let me explain. I recently screwed up my my knee in a harescramble. Had surgery a week ago. Looks like I'm going to miss 3+ months of work. Got me thinking this just might not be worth it. Thinking about maybe selling my ktm and getting a street bike. Or maybe a dual sport (but there aren't any trails within close riding distance) 

Do you guys have a really good time on the road? Or do you feel super unfulfilled, like you're missing something. I have almost no experience riding street bikes, so I'm not sure if I would love it, or quickly get bored and wish I was off road. 

4 minutes ago, Diverdown said:

Try s DR-650 

I am actually  really interested in that bike. But I've been all over the place. From a grom, to a dual sport, to something like a fz07. I feel like I'd get bored with a 100% street bike. If I had a street bike I feel like I'd still be doing stupid stuff like hopping curbs and riding down gravel roads. I dont think I could resist. Ideally I'd have multiple bikes, I do really like technical riding and racing, but feel like casually riding and exploring might be just as fun and a lot safer. Something like a dr650 might be a good middleground. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, kylektm said:

I am actually  really interested in that bike. But I've been all over the place. From a grom, to a dual sport, to something like a fz07. I feel like I'd get bored with a 100% street bike. If I had a street bike I feel like I'd still be doing stupid stuff like hopping curbs and riding down gravel roads. I dont think I could resist. Ideally I'd have multiple bikes, I do really like technical riding and racing, but feel like casually riding and exploring might be just as fun and a lot safer. Something like a dr650 might be a good middleground. 

You think road riding would be a whole lot safer??:D

Joe

• Like 9
  • Haha 2

The dual sport thing could be okay for exploring and such if you live in a rural area. But as far as straight road riding goes, I only have fun hauling ass on a sports bike. That being said, I know some grandma would kill me so I don't own one.

I got a GSXR-750 in 2011 after 25 years of dual sports. I still have a lot of fun as long as I'm riding. Only got rid of dual sports because at the time my work schedule left me little time for riding. Was able to ride a lot more with a street bike instead of having to load the dual sport on a trailer and hauling to the trails. Have a 2015 GSXS-750 which I ride all over the state. No regrets. The GSXR was hell on my back after an hour riding. I've been considering getting a Super Motard bike in the future.  

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, trailmeisterjoe said:

You think road riding would be a whole lot safer??:D

Joe

Maybe not. But I know a lot of motorcycle crashes are inexperienced riders. My 15 years riding off road has got to count for something. Im at the point where I'd rather have a small risk of a big crash, instead of riding/racing off road where you could hurt yourself in a billion different ways

I’ve ridden a lot more on the street than dirt, but I’m pretty strictly dirt now. Way more near death experiences riding on the street. I love going fast on the street, but really to enjoy it you need to be on a track. Just too many variables on the open road. Everyone trying to kill you it seems. I’m tempted to get a V Strom though. Just to cruise... and maybe put some 208s on it just in case I wanna try and get a knee down 🤷‍♂️

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

In general, to me, a dual sport on the street is pretty boring, if you follow the rules... Gapping off sidewalk ramps, riding stairs, and bump jumping parking curbs can be fun though. I still ride BMX in the skate parks. But when I was younger, we did all sorts of stupid shit on the street. So that spirit is still in me. A buddy of mine (also a former BMX rider) is quite content on his 1000cc street bikes. To some, twisting the throttle is enough excitement. I guess, it depends on you personally.

P.S. I also agree that off-road is safer than street.

Edited by nots0much
  • Like 1

The fun part about riding on the street is all the stuff you aren't allowed to do, wheelie, stoppies, dragging knees and generally going much faster than is sensible. If you have a racer mentality, you'll spend all your time looking for that something that isn't there. Then you'll either get busted or crash. I had a lot of fun doing it in the old days, when cops had a sense of humor, but not any more. I spent My last few roadbike years on the track.

Dual sports are boring as shit, either a proper roadie, or get a motard.

Edited by DEATH_INC.
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

Street riding doesn't take the intense concentration that riding off-road does, but is still lots of fun. 

• Like 1

I’ve been riding since 13 yrs old all street bikes. Started dirt riding and racing 4 years ago dirt to me is safer and a better a work out I do not ride much on the street any more to many cell phones drivers out there. Heal up and get back in the dirt. 

• Like 3

I have a Indian Springfield darkhorse I cruise to work almost everyday and love going on rides out in the country. The city is a lot of anxiety at rush hours but not horrible. I love racing moto and ride as often as I can. You can do both and I think them being both 2 wheels they help each other by keeping your motor skills together. I like to dress up the Indian and love to get the huskys dirty..... today I drove the Jeep because ran is still rain.

• Like 2

Road riding is fun on back roads.  I have ridden many thousand miles on the road over the years, but I sold my last road bike about 5 years ago mostly because of the cell phone usage.  No one is paying attention anymore and I didn't want to turn into a greasy spot because of someone else sending a text.

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

Thought I would get bored with a street bike, but find it a lot of fun. Plan to get a dual sport again when I'm not working every weekend and holiday. Seen parts of the state that I would never have seen without a bike plus lately I've been using the bike like a second car running errands. I ride with my head on a swivel acting like every car is out to kill me.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, DEATH_INC. said:

The fun part about riding on the street is all the stuff you aren't allowed to do, wheelie, stoppies, dragging knees and generally going much faster than is sensible. If you have a racer mentality, you'll spend all your time looking for that something that isn't there. Then you'll either get busted or crash. I had a lot of fun doing it in the old days, when cops had a sense of humor, but not any more. I spent My last few roadbike years on the track.

Dual sports are boring as shit, either a proper roadie, or get a motard.

dual sports are fun if you mainly use them to connect trails. 

Streeting can be fun if you're with good buddies all connected by helmet comms and you have good destinations to ride to. Certainly better than not riding at all, but I can't say that if I had a choice I'd pick it over trai riding.

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, kylektm said:

Or maybe a dual sport (but there aren't any trails within close riding distance) 

Close riding distance from where? Where are you located? What do you consider close?

You don't have to race to have fun on a dirtbike.

What model is your KTM?

We have 2 offroad places to ride, each an hour away from where I live. But to ride the really good stuff, the next closest is 3.5 hours away in Albuquerque, that we can make a day trip out of or get a motel and ride half a day the next day before heading home. Our next favorite places are in Colorado and Utah, 8 and 10 hours away. We make trips at least a few times a year to those places. 2 or 3 guys can make a trip pretty cheap.

You can be sure, if we're driving those distances to ride trail, they're worth it. My main riding buddy was one that didn't want to go so far to ride, UNTIL I twisted his arm and talked him into coming with me to a place I found in Colorado. Now we go a few times a year and we've taken lots of other buddies too.

I've had a big muscle street cruiser, 2 plated dual sports and my dirtbikes. My "street bike" these days is a KTM 1090R Adventure. Big enough to do serious road miles comfortably, carry camping gear and still capable of some serious offroad exploring, as evidenced by my recent jaunt up Georgia Pass in Colorado with it.

I say keep your KTM and expand your travel area. If you want to try riding street but have the capability to take something off road you may come across that looks interesting, get a plated dual sport appropriate for the capability levels of street to offroad that you think you might want to do. It will open up a whole nuther riding experience.

Edited by Trailryder42
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Dmouse said:

Street riding doesn't take the intense concentration that riding off-road does, but is still lots of fun. 

What lol. That's wrong. It takes as much or more mental discipline, but its physically easy. 

• Like 2
  • Helpful 2
  • Confused 1

Your dirt time will give you an edge on the street. I commuted 31 miles each way to work for two years right thru phoenix, and I'd say once a month someone came close to running me over. Instant reactions meant I was gone by the time the car took my lane. I think fast dirt riding teaches you to scan with your eyes and act fast, all you have to do is watch for body language and car motion instead.

Problem with street riding is you're either breaking the law or it's boring. You don't list your location but if you've got mountains and stuff it can be fun but you've got to watch your speed around town, especially on bikes that can hit 90 in first gear.

Dual sporting is for seniors. All you will do is eventually try to put a bigger bike where it doesn't belong and get another blown out knee. I laugh at all the hero shots on the adventure rider forum. A 90% flat dirt road, bike in a heap, picture proudly taken like they are big a hero... that's dual sporting haha.

Track days are awesome but $$$ and only available on certain weekends, so you end up riding once a month. Tire are also $$$ and last for maybe two rides.

• Haha 1