GettingThere

YZ250 Super Slow 2000 YZ250 Refresh

Thought I would share a few pictures of my son's YZ250 refresh. We are all quite busy so things seem to move really slow and since we have plenty of bikes to ride there was no urgency to get this one back together. The COVID gave me a little spare time but then parts shipments had me waiting.....ugh!!

Here was the bike when my son bought it in 2017 with his money working at Papa Johns while going to high school. Bike looks good in the back of his '87 Toyota 4x4. 

image.png.17ca271d0c5370357e0ea12be3722fd3.png

The bike was halfway decent and ran great so he rode the crap out of it. The old "rode hard and put away wet" 😜

Fast forward a couple of years and it was needing some attention. Swingarm weld had a crack, swingarm and linkage bearings were shot, shock and fork seals leaking, tires shot, pipe beat up, cylinder plating worn thru, etc. You get the idea.

image.png.bd412c0e0378a6956136f8abff1b117e.pngimage.thumb.png.b8ae58d940516836dfa6054ef8deb48f.pngimage.thumb.png.13eb0bd81fa430d5c4e5b3852a84856c.pngimage.png.c1abe17fcbfd1a4a72cd30253510bda3.png

Stripped the bike down, re-welded the swingarm weld and then sent it to get powder coated. I have mentioned it before but the color, Illusion Royal, ended up being a little too purple but I really like the color.

image.png.0aa3fb84dacb42d530b0a2cf3e8912e5.png

New Pro-X "A" piston, crank, and bearings/ seals, plus a cylinder re-plate from PowerSeal USA. Lots of other small OEM parts, seals, fasteners etc. to button the engine back up.

@218 cut and re-shaped the head for me to 0.046" squish. Head looks awesome and the bike runs phenomenal. Thanks @218 👍

image.png.78eb9c05709a06b8637c91e563989b85.png

image.thumb.png.cc8b36063af9b6c5119ef67c41b028c6.png

image.thumb.png.e6956dbcc9362de08dec91b99695b6b9.png

image.png.8f44516fae4179149b3f8d78353fca14.png

image.png.d7df216855d57b99087954a5337714c3.png

image.thumb.png.a10bae154035b434f3bc4c5586097ce4.png

image.png.e5629348465e62ad62eac92239ae3f08.png

Rebuilt the rear shock and new fork seals/ bushings, etc in the forks with some OEM .43kg/mm springs I picked up from @218 The springs in it were much too stiff for my son and we had previously installed a stock rear spring.

image.png.0ab8f1e7fe7d5ccc86401b36ae4870b2.png

image.png.0ef7334be1c5b264f084d81434eb7961.png

Laced up an 18" rear Tusk wheel to run instead of the 19" that was on it. Decided to try the Shinko 525 Hybrid Cheater on the rear and 90/90-21 Shinko MX216 on the front.

New Polisport plastic kit and then had a local Texas girl MXG Designs https://www.facebook.com/mxgdesigns/ that had done the graphics on the bike when my son bought it, make a new set of the same graphics.

My son has been super busy with college and taking a bunch of summer classes and working so the bike sat done waiting for him to do a heat cycle. Finally did that a few weeks ago and then a couple of weeks ago finished breaking it in and got out this past weekend for a good ride. Bike is working awesome and it rips again 😁

Compression is 220-225 PSI after break in.

Sorry for the long post and a few glamour shots before he took it out and started beating it back up. The rocks and terrain we ride in are not real kind to the bikes and it already has a few new scares 🙃 Thanks for checking it out and thank you to all that have answered my questions along the way. The likes of @Motox367 @Smoking 2's @YZDOC @218 and others 👍

image.png.29db39145f36335d6edb798883cb8d35.png

image.png.de96e3a0cef662feaff0580c20c1c265.png

image.png.9dce77f735d511ec4ca02ecd2643dbda.png

image.png.b1e82d476d2282a30fc0823655489cac.png

image.thumb.png.a026653014c0e0451b02bf9b7889d24e.png

P.S. '99 is the year the kid was built, I mean born...haha and figured the bike being a 2000 was also built in '99 so it seemed fitting.

• Like 13
  • Helpful 3

1 minute ago, Motox367 said:

Wow very nice job looks awesome 👍🔧🔧

Thanks man....I really appreciate it. All your great info, tips, and help were very useful 👍 I have been playing with and working on motorized vehicles most of my life but as many hadn't really dug into a bike this far. Rebuilt the 125 engine a couple years ago and then watching @YZDOC bikes made me want to redo a bike totally. Gives a good perspective of how much time and money it takes to do one. I have not been looking at more old bikes since 😜

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

5 minutes ago, Doctor Impostor said:

Damn, now my 99 looks so shoddy. I'm jealous of his wr kick lever, the stock one sux.

It is worth finding one. I have one on the 2001 also and it sure beats the stock kick lever and really saves the boots. They can be had pretty cheap on ebay but sometimes takes a while for a good one to show up.

• Like 3

Welcome for any input from my end. Love it when people realize how much time goes into a rebuild/restoration. When I sell at $500 over cost, you realize you just worked for $1.25 at best an hour. Much rather charge my shop rate of $25.00 an hour on someone else’s rig.

Bike looks really good, and attention to detail. Also like the color, it’s very nice. 👍

• Like 5

49 minutes ago, GettingThere said:

Thanks man....I really appreciate it. All your great info, tips, and help were very useful 👍 I have been playing with and working on motorized vehicles most of my life but as many hadn't really dug into a bike this far. Rebuilt the 125 engine a couple years ago and then watching @YZDOC bikes made me want to redo a bike totally. Gives a good perspective of how much time and money it takes to do one. I have not been looking at more old bikes since 😜

Doc builds some beauty's that's for sure and knows his stuff.  Old bikes is where it's at can sell for good buck to vintage guys

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, YZDOC said:

Welcome for any input from my end. Love it when people realize how much time goes into a rebuild/restoration. When I sell at $500 over cost, you realize you just worked for $1.25 at best an hour. Much rather charge my shop rate of $25.00 an hour on someone else’s rig.

Bike looks really good, and attention to detail. Also like the color, it’s very nice. 👍

Thanks Doc.....I really appreciate the kind words and that you like it 👍 I hear you on the amount of time and cost. I haven't add it up and don't really want to know but my son loves this bike so it was all worth it. The little things really add up and the amount of time ordering and waiting on them makes a project drag on. A 20 year old bike that has been rebuilt countless times over the years has so many incorrect or missing fasteners/ parts. I can see why you prefer to charge your shop rate and that $25/ hr is way too cheap 🙂

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, YZDOC said:

I think on and off about trying something like that when I feel comfortable. Rather than losing my shirt in all of the work and self educating I do.

@GettingThere that’s a good one for sure 💪💪 very nice work. Is the 18” wheel worth it?

• Like 3

Excellent job!!! 

You ain't kidding about that kicker, I swapped mine not long ago. Best upgrade ever.

What seal savers are those? Ones I usually see are much longer and I don't really like the looks very well

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Motox367 said:

Doc builds some beauty's that's for sure and knows his stuff.  Old bikes is where it's at can sell for good buck to vintage guys

He sure can and gives many others the inspiration to give it a try. Really enjoy looking at the bikes he and others redo. The old steel frames bikes are awesome. I have a 2016 250X but my 2001 YZ250 is probably my favorite of the bunch. I love my 2003 YZ125 also but sort of wish it was a 2000 or 2001.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Sullysully said:

I think on and off about trying something like that when I feel comfortable. Rather than losing my shirt in all of the work and self educating I do.

@GettingThere that’s a good one for sure 💪💪 very nice work. Is the 18” wheel worth it?

Thanks Sully. It is very gratifying and well worth doing. Most others will say to make sure you have a nice spot to work and I would say to not be in a hurry otherwise it will be easy to get frustrated waiting on parts and what not. Also, wise words are to plan on spending double what you think 😜

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, GettingThere said:

Also, wise words are to plan on spending double what you think 😜

Didn’t I tell someone that recently? I’m having a deja vu moment 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Smoking 2's said:

Excellent job!!! 

You ain't kidding about that kicker, I swapped mine not long ago. Best upgrade ever.

What seal savers are those? Ones I usually see are much longer and I don't really like the looks very well

Thanks man!!! Yep, the YZ426/450 kicker is so much nicer. The seal savers are the Tusk long ones that I cut in half. I'm not sure how they will hold up long term and may just buy the shorties later on. The long ones aren't much more than the shorties and make two sets out of them. The problem may be that the threads are sewn together on the ends and the cut end opens up a little. I could probably sew them but thought I would see how they do?? Have them on a couple of bikes this way at the moment.

• Helpful 1

10 minutes ago, GettingThere said:

He sure can and gives many others the inspiration to give it a try. Really enjoy looking at the bikes he and others redo. The old steel frames bikes are awesome. I have a 2016 250X but my 2001 YZ250 is probably my favorite of the bunch. I love my 2003 YZ125 also but sort of wish it was a 2000 or 2001.

Ya I've raced brand-new aluminum frame ones but really like the 04 I have now 

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Motox367 said:

Ya I've raced brand-new aluminum frame ones but really like the 04 I have now 

I just hate dealing with the rust they all have 🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️ It gets old. I love my 98 though.

2 hours ago, GettingThere said:

Here was the bike when my son bought it in 2017 with his money working at Papa Johns while going to high school. image.png.17ca271d0c5370357e0ea12be3722fd3.png

Props to your son! Good-lookin' kid with his head on straight. Congrats to both father & son for passing along/developing great work ethics and solid values. (I'm a Dodge owner, but I can forgive a cool old 'yota. 😁)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

27 minutes ago, CaptDan said:

Props to your son! Good-lookin' kid with his head on straight. Congrats to both father & son for passing along/developing great work ethics and solid values. (I'm a Dodge owner, but I can forgive a cool old 'yota. 😁)

Hey CaptDan, Thanks so much. I missed giving you a shout out for all the help the past couple of years as you are a wealth of info and always helping everyone....sorry about that. Thanks for the compliment on the kid. Both of my boys are great kids and work very hard. We are blessed to have them and very proud of them. This son is my youngest and they are only 15 months apart (almost Irish twins 😜). He is the one that wanted to get another dirt bike a few years ago and got me back into it. He started riding when he was 4 on a PW50, with no training wheels of course 👍 Wish I had some better old pictures.

I'm also a big Mopar fan and I'm not sure if my old 'Cuda shows up in some of my pictures from time to time. I've had a bunch of cars over the years with a couple of Power Wagons. I really wish I didn't sell the 1970 long box stepside W200 that was Attica NY's brush truck when I moved to Texas. It only had 18,000 miles on it with a nice 383. I watched that truck in so many parades growing up and then bought it years later. Oh well it was nice having owned it for a bit. What do you have hiding out for Mopars?

image.png.c547afd39dc2b96acdf4f8433da81fce.png

• Like 1