KDXrider220

TIG the broken case or buy a used new case?

I don’t know how or why but I colossally effed up changing the rear diff oil today. Went to tighten the plug like I’ve done many times in the past and the case and bolt failed at the same time right at the ‘about to be tight’ point. Bolt snapped and the case flaked off there. I know the very high possibility that I over torqued it but damn man this was with one hand before I ever even thought about putting any elbow into it, I just don’t understand it. Anyways, if anyone has had a similar problem, does this look fixable with welding or should I just hunt for a new case? 

‘02 Kawasaki Prairie 300 4x4

2CCC2D73-BAFD-4851-A2AD-805BA0604BDB.jpeg

2EA5BED8-8146-4112-8401-D1038AD9C777.jpeg

First, get the bolt out with a ezout. If the threads are not damaged, try again. They dont need to be that tight. 12ft lb is plenty. Or drill to a larger size and retap using diesel fuel as a lubricant.

On 7/23/2020 at 3:20 PM, KDXrider220 said:

I don’t know how or why but I colossally effed up changing the rear diff oil today. Went to tighten the plug like I’ve done many times in the past and the case and bolt failed at the same time right at the ‘about to be tight’ point. Bolt snapped and the case flaked off there. I know the very high possibility that I over torqued it but damn man this was with one hand before I ever even thought about putting any elbow into it, I just don’t understand it. Anyways, if anyone has had a similar problem, does this look fixable with welding or should I just hunt for a new case? 

‘02 Kawasaki Prairie 300 4x4

2CCC2D73-BAFD-4851-A2AD-805BA0604BDB.jpeg

2EA5BED8-8146-4112-8401-D1038AD9C777.jpeg

Easy weld repair- with it torn down.

Cunt of a job assembled and oily.