pontoon

Do I need to re-weld my frame?

Posted (edited)

I got a little carried away trying to make sure I have clearance for a steering damper bracket. Got sick of filing and went too deep with a Dremel. I made a 1cm line where the two welded pieces aren’t connected. If I ride it will it get worse, maybe crack? Or is it ok?

And yes I know I’m an idiot  I just wanted to make damn sure I had clearance for any damper before I paint it. I had to redo this job with more and more filing each time. 

B485FC2A-BA62-47A3-A2F5-BB9CDF02F890.jpeg.75af935312687d0f95a3c2afdea571d7.jpeg

Edited by pontoon
  • Sad 1

Posted (edited)

FF9F6EC4-DEA7-4CD0-890F-9BDC8F120F4A.jpeg.af6fe24918028deb5edf3212a11c2015.jpegI did a tiny bit more delicate filing with a jeweler file to see how bad this 1cm spot is... I expected deeper weld penetration... 😨

Edited by pontoon
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

You want that tig welded. Try and find a shop that works on roll cages for race cars. They will have that better than new.

• Like 9
  • Helpful 2

57 minutes ago, pontoon said:

I got a little carried away trying to make sure I have clearance for a steering damper bracket. Got sick of filing and went too deep with a Dremel. I made a 1cm line where the two welded pieces aren’t connected. If I ride it will it get worse, maybe crack? Or is it ok?

And yes I know I’m an idiot  I just wanted to make damn sure I had clearance for any damper before I paint it. I had to redo this job with more and more filing each time. 

B485FC2A-BA62-47A3-A2F5-BB9CDF02F890.jpeg.75af935312687d0f95a3c2afdea571d7.jpeg

That is a critical area, you bet your bippy that you need it welded...

• Like 6

5 hours ago, M E T A L A C I D said:

That is a critical area, you bet your bippy that you need it welded...

nah, you don't need the forks, wheel and brake to be connected to the rest of the bike. Just put some paint on it and ride.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, pontoon said:

FF9F6EC4-DEA7-4CD0-890F-9BDC8F120F4A.jpeg.af6fe24918028deb5edf3212a11c2015.jpegI did a tiny bit more delicate filing with a jeweler file to see how bad this 1cm spot is... I expected deeper weld penetration... 😨

I f no-one else will say it, I'm gonna say it, what the hell were you thinking grinding down such a critical part of the bike!

Take it to a GOOD engineer, and have the whole weld you ground down re-welded, and hope it doesn't pull everything too far off line. Then cut the plug off your grinder and get your mom to put it way up outta your reach.

Any steering damper kit worth fitting will not need ANY part of the bike ground. shootself.gif.ad3908df040cc57e269db577648946af.gif

Edited by DEATH_INC.
  • Like 8
  • Helpful 1
  • Haha 4

3 minutes ago, DEATH_INC. said:

I f no-one else will say it, I'm gonna say it, what the hell were you thinking grinding down such a critical part of the bike!

Take it to a GOOD engineer, and have the whole weld you ground down re-welded, and hope it doesn't pull everything too far off line. Then cut the plug off your grinder and get your mom to put it way up outta your reach.

Any steering damper kit worth fitting will not need ANY part of the bike ground. shootself.gif.ad3908df040cc57e269db577648946af.gif

On the 2020 Husky and KTM frames the two dampers I tried both require some filing down of the welds. 

In a different thread on damper installation, someone who “works with metal for a living” or something said if it was him he’d grind the welds... Well hindsight is 20/20, don't file these welds this much. I thought even if I ground the weld flush with the metal, it would have some weld that did penetrate. Actually these welds have pretty much no penetration. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, pontoon said:

On the 2020 Husky and KTM frames the two dampers I tried both require some filing down of the welds. 

In a different thread on damper installation, someone who “works with metal for a living” or something said if it was him he’d grind the welds... Well hindsight is 20/20, don't file these welds this much. I thought even if I ground the weld flush with the metal, it would have some weld that did penetrate. Actually these welds have pretty much no penetration. 

Could you not grind the clamp (or whatever) to make it fit better?

Whoever that was is an idiot. I work with metal for a job, and I wouldn't ever grind down a critical weld, it's never going to penetrate deep enough, remember the metal where the weld is is not as strong as the rest of it, so even with full penetration if you ground it to the same thickness as the rest of the frame, it'd still be weak. The weld strength is part of the calculations the mfgs do when they work out the design of the frame. They are so borderline in these days of computer aided design you just don't mess with them.

At least you didn't kill yourself.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

7 hours ago, DEATH_INC. said:

Could you not grind the clamp (or whatever) to make it fit better?

This.

Yes, it needs to be welded. Doing that to a brand new $10K machine is beyond ridiculous.

• Like 2

Don't even need to grind the frame to have the front end snap off on a KTM, you're begging for trouble ☠️

Roll cage builder sounds like the best option to me.

WOW!

Steering dampeners suck. They're just a band aid for a dodgy front end.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

55 minutes ago, Drop-Bear said:

I always thought they were just a bandaid, maybe for a crap front end, or a crap frame, or bad geometry. My road racers all had them, speed wobbles are pretty scary

• Helpful 3

2 minutes ago, pat22043 said:

I always thought they were just a bandaid, maybe for a crap front end, or a crap frame, or bad geometry. My road racers all had them, speed wobbles are pretty scary

Yeah, different on a sports bike. But, an MX/dirt bike, shouldn't get speed wobbles. They're designed for rough terrain. 

I wasted my money, I'm speaking from experience :D.

Edited by Drop-Bear
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, pontoon said:

Never file down the welds on the frame.

Instead, remove the necessary material from the stabilizer bracket.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Drop-Bear said:

Until you hit a rock in the dust or cresting a rise when you couldn't see it going 60mph.  It all depends on how you set it up (or if you even have one that can be adjusted accordingly).

My front suspensions work great with or without a damper, but I still won't ride off road without it.

• Like 3
  • Helpful 2
  • Haha 1

I don't know how many of you have installed a stabilizer over the years, but it's a pretty common mod to make it fit.  That said, KTM frames have seen quite a few frame separations so it makes my spidey senses tingle. Such minimum material these days. 

High speed in the desert is a whole lot less concerning with one than without, otherwise, get your elbows out. 🙂 

I suppose I've been in some rocky terrain that it might have helped, but that riding sucked no matter what you put on your bike

• Like 2