Posted (edited)

OK here goes... Picked up an 04 200 EXC few months back, needed some work to say the least, wont go into detail of all the things i've fixed on the bike just the current and most present issue I cant seem to fix... it is smoking IE blue smoke/lots of splooge to the point that at the end of a few hour's ride, it's out the tail pipe, running down the back and dripping onto the swing arm/rear break caliper and blue smoking quite a bit. When I first got it, it smoked more and smelled like shit. So first things first went to the carb, I live on the Oregon coast (elevation/temp reference) it's old dirty/stained but inside looks good, came with jetting pilot-45, main-178 needle: no idea what brand guessing stock in the 3rd clip, adjusted the float height due to it leaking gas when bike was upright no tilt with the gas on, Bought JD jet kit and running pilot-45, Main-185 and Needle is blue 3rd clip (JD's recommend specs for my bike @ my attitude). I have also replaced my Inner crankcase seal twice (First time I thought I messed up the O-ring so redid to make sure). I've rebuilt the top end/new piston (same thing) cleaned the PV, NOTE HERE that the PV has some issues, it seems to work fine but the screw that goes on top of the cylinder, down into the PV/flap would not come out preventing me from removing the flap to clean it, however it move's/ function's correctly, and has minimum clearance on both sides. One of the PV cover bolts that also works at the exhaust spring holder, was over torqued at some point (impact driver prob), or a result in a hard impact, the hole the bolt goes into is flailed/jared open a bit, not bad, not in the way of any function/ PV Gearing/hinge, it is not needed for that area to be air tight as their is also a breather that goes out of the PV so will not result in an "air leak" or loss in Top end PSI.... anyway... it's still smoking.... quite a bit.. now the bike itself rides fine I feel, the carb does puke gas when tilted over slightly/ hard to start (kick start) after flooded (like all bikes tho) I don't have any stalling/low idle issues outside of user error on clutch control. Honestly outside of it smoking as much as it does I would think nothing is wrong with it.. 

I have also tried raising the needle Clip to 2nd clip and it changed nothing at all, not even feel of the bike/response and have a new Spark plug I have yet to put on the bike.

I have also "compromised" the crankcase Gasket (new one in the mail) while I was putting the Crankcase back on but that should do nothing with the exhaust just a little gear oil leak not relevant but throwing it out there.

So I am at a loss... I've been toying with the idea of getting a Lectron carb...

However... would hate to drop $400~$500  and the issue still persist, if it's a jetting/carb/float issue that would fix it and improve MPH/fuel consumption

Or something with the PV? but I don't see the PV causing that much smoke/sploogee...

I've ridden the bike normally/hard and nothing's happened but I don't want to keep pushing it and possibly clip the bike.

Any ideas?

"Oh help me 2 stroke community you're my only hope" 

Edited by MarzRider

What carb does the 04 have on it anyways? I know that on my 2010 200 if the powervalve is adjusted anywhere above the halfway mark in the window the bike won't rev out and it spooges everywhere.  I did do a RM250 carb needle NECJ, really cleaned up the bottom end and revs out nicely. kinda sounds like you've been through a bunch of stuff.

I run 2K to 6K elevation in WA and use a NEDW needle (2001 200 MXC, 38mm Air Striker). NECJ sounds lean for Oregon on a 200 unless you are 6K+ elevation IMHO.

The needle orifice and the inlet valve orifice are wear parts on a Kehien  - requiring a replacement of the carb body/metering block. You should be able to buy an OEM carb complete for $300 or less from KTM or JD Jetting. Solves all problems!

13 hours ago, Muffintop said:

What carb does the 04 have on it anyways? I know that on my 2010 200 if the powervalve is adjusted anywhere above the halfway mark in the window the bike won't rev out and it spooges everywhere.  I did do a RM250 carb needle NECJ, really cleaned up the bottom end and revs out nicely. kinda sounds like you've been through a bunch of stuff.

It's a 38 keihin, pretty sure stock from that year. I have the PV set to just below the top line (when i looked it up that is "OEM") I havent tried any other position yet, So far the bike seems to Rev out just fine, but the power band almost not noticable untill 3rd gear. I ll lower it to just below the half point to see if that help at all. Honestly the bike has been kind of a nightmare but it's so damn fun and light/ perfect for my riding that I've fixed all other issues other than this damn excessive smoke/ splooge if it was a little I wouldn't want to be the poor fellow behind me lol!

11 hours ago, eddy said:

I run 2K to 6K elevation in WA and use a NEDW needle (2001 200 MXC, 38mm Air Striker). NECJ sounds lean for Oregon on a 200 unless you are 6K+ elevation IMHO.

The needle orifice and the inlet valve orifice are wear parts on a Kehien  - requiring a replacement of the carb body/metering block. You should be able to buy an OEM carb complete for $300 or less from KTM or JD Jetting. Solves all problems!

I've tried the JD jetting and it helped a lot from when I first had it, prior jetting would die @low RPM so I had to stay on the gas and smoked like a chimney stack, New jetting from he JD kit makes the bike "feel" alot better in comparison, but still smokes and spits (not as bad but still too much to ignore) I've been thinking the carb it's self is bad but this would be the 3rd bike I've gotten with a bad carb so I don't want to just chalk it up to that.. but it looks inevitable. 

Yeah I don't want to send you on a wild goose chase with the PV but I'm just letting you know what my bike was doing. I looked up the "Langston setting" for the 200 and tried that and my bike was not happy with it at all. I'm not sure why but it wouldn't even rev out completely. The NECJ needle helped my bike a ton honestly. You really have to lean out the jets with that needle though because the needle is much skinnier than a JD needle. I think the needle was like $10 on rocky mountain.