OverSquareEng

Fuel Injecting my DR-Z

Howdy all,

Shortly after purchasing my second DR-Z last winter, I decided I wanted to convert it to fuel injection. Fuel injection has always intrigued me since I helped my father convert a Chevy 383 stroker engine to fuel injection when I was in middle school. I wasn't smart enough to grasp the concepts at the time, but ever since then I have wanted to play around with it more and more. Now after lots of research, some very helpful conversations with roleyrev, and about 7-8 months of slowly acquiring parts I'm about to jump head first into the conversion. If you haven't checked out roleyrev's threads on converting of his bikes, I highly recommend you check it out. I'll link to them below.

I will be following roleyrev's 2nd fuel injection recipe that only requires simple modifications to the flywheel. With that some of the key components are:

Microsquirt ECU - the brains of the operation

Oxygen sensor and controller - I went with the 14point7 Spartan 2 controller and Bosch LSU 4.9 sensor

RMZ 450 throttle body - complete with fuel injector, MAP sensor, and TPS sensor

Extra DRZ 400 flywheel - so I don't stuff up my original one when modifying it

Ignition coil with internal igniter - From a Nissan Silvia S15 SR20DET engine. Only requires +12V power, ground, and a logic level signal from the ECU.

Fuel pump with integrated pressure regulator

IMG_20200727_152836.jpg.ebc3ff663f4a85dab007c1069ee3547e.jpg

I've removed about 11 wires not needed for this conversion, and installed sealing plugs in the connector housing to keep things water tight.

IMG_20200727_152413.jpg.aa3b5677617fbadaf3274f775daa7d8f.jpg

IMG_20200727_152255.jpg.79e0ef0e0659dea9342b0e60836f4a11.jpg

Hmmm, it's looking like I need to vacuum my carpet. Dog hair everywhere...

I've done about all I can do from the comfort of my living room, and will begin to tear into the bike tomorrow. I'll keep this thread updated with my progress.

• Like 13
  • Helpful 1

3 hours ago, Wisconsinite762 said:

Howdy all,

Shortly after purchasing my second DR-Z last winter, I decided I wanted to convert it to fuel injection. Fuel injection has always intrigued me since I helped my father convert a Chevy 383 stroker engine to fuel injection when I was in middle school. I wasn't smart enough to grasp the concepts at the time, but ever since then I have wanted to play around with it more and more. Now after lots of research, some very helpful conversations with roleyrev, and about 7-8 months of slowly acquiring parts I'm about to jump head first into the conversion. If you haven't checked out roleyrev's threads on converting of his bikes, I highly recommend you check it out. I'll link to them below.

I will be following roleyrev's 2nd fuel injection recipe that only requires simple modifications to the flywheel. With that some of the key components are:

Oxygen sensor and controller - I went with the 14point7 Spartan 2 controller and Bosch LSU 4.9 sensor

Ignition coil with internal igniter - From a Nissan Silvia S15 SR20DET engine. Only requires +12V power, ground, and a logic level signal from the ECU.

I've removed about 11 wires not needed for this conversion, and installed sealing plugs in the connector housing to keep things water tight.

I've done about all I can do from the comfort of my living room, and will begin to tear into the bike tomorrow. I'll keep this thread updated with my progress.

Awesome.  You’ll have all the support from me that I can provide

• Like 7
  • Helpful 1

6 hours ago, Wisconsinite762 said:

Howdy all,

Sounds like a lot of pain, to me !

Enjoy.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Wisconsinite762 said:

Sounds fun to me! To each their own.

Yeah, thats what I said.

• Like 1

When done please post MPG before and after the mod.  Personally I'd buy a wide ratio gear set first.

16 minutes ago, OFS said:

When done please post MPG before and after the mod.  Personally I'd buy a wide ratio gear set first.

I'll chime in on this,  I don't really have any specific BSR36 data but I'm sure that you'll find MPG on this forum.  When I first did the FI conversion  to my SM had standard SM/S profile cams .  I did a couple of rides with the standard cams then changed to new stage 2 Hotcams, that increased the fuel consumption due to the spirited nature of riding that the cam profile encouraged.  If I really tried I could probably get back to the mid 60 MPG but riding on the cams is much more fun:

image.png.235188c14cfd1a9868a17b516ce132b9.png

I am in the process of doing fuel consumption tests on Number 2 (2nd FI project) Most likely it will be a little worse than above (maybe 10-15%) due to increased displacement (434 v's 400) also it has the ACT wide ratio gearbox fitted.  I can say that the fuel injection has improved the overall fuel consumption compared to the FCR39 that was fitted to the bike before this injection conversion. In fact the conversation to fuel injection was done for this specific reason.  I would also suggest that an ACT wide ratio gearbox probably wouldn't work so well on a 400 with standard internals and/or fitted with the BSR36.

7 hours ago, ktmenvy said:

What is your total parts cost?

About the same as the stimulus check that's likely coming out.

4 hours ago, OFS said:

Will do. looks like roleyrev has you covered though too.

The only goals of this project are, learn something new, do something a little different, make some more power, and have fun. Not much overlap in use case between EFI and a wide ratio gear set. But everyone's needs and wants are different, do the upgrades that make the most sense for you!

2 hours ago, screaminsquirrels@comcast. said:

I was told by a racer type that there is a snowmobile fuel injection that transfers to the DRZ.  Does anybody know the particulars of that?

Hmmm never heard of that. The cousin of the DRZ, the LTZ400 quad has EFI. It's nearly the same engine as the DRZ400, and is what rolyrev's first EFI project was based on. Some takeaways from that project are, the LTZ flywheel (which has a trigger wheel on it for the EFI) is not compatible with the DRZ400 engine, and the LTZ throttle body is so close in size to the DRZs BSR36 carb that it doesn't support much more power. The RMZ throttle body should at least match the performance of a FCR39, but likely outperforms it especially with supporting engine mods.

Edited by Wisconsinite762
  • Helpful 1

My source said the parts are very difficult to come by.  I'm happy with the stock carb on my S model quite possibly because I am 71 years old and have two replacement hips,  screws in my left ankle and other numerous healed injuries.   Anybody interested in a extremely nice Yamaha 500 framer for dirt track?  You might save the life of a fellow rider (me) by buying it and taking the temptation to ride it "one more time".

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, screaminsquirrels@comcast. said:

My source said the parts are very difficult to come by

I live in New Zealand on the other side of the world and I had no issues in obtaining any of the parts required.   I am, however, a tight wad when it comes to paying too much so looked for a bargain for the throttle bodies (complete with sensors) both of which cost under $200US each. Most, if not all, of the other required goodies come from on-line order houses, some in the US and some in the East.  The worst thing was the flywheel ring, since usurped by a DIY flywheel modification using a file, a vise and some masking tape.

• Like 1

It seems like a worthwhile conversion to me for someone with the knowledge and skill.  I never looked into it for the reason I mentioned.  It is my understanding that the Pollution Police can cite owners that make modifications to the fuel delivery, air intake, and exhaust of motor vehicles.  Suzuki even seems to be covering their ass with the notation in the manual NOT to alter the air box.  Perhaps they are doing this for the S model only.  I only mention this in a very casual way--my ride has the air box opened up, the carb rejetted and the baffles of the exhaust have been "altered".  I am now concentrating on the ergonomics of the bike and considering the final remaining step...the seat.  I know......Seat Concepts?

• Angry 1

7 minutes ago, screaminsquirrels@comcast. said:

It seems like a worthwhile conversion to me for someone with the knowledge and skill.  I never looked into it for the reason I mentioned.  It is my understanding that the Pollution Police can cite owners that make modifications to the fuel delivery, air intake, and exhaust of motor vehicles.  Suzuki even seems to be covering their ass with the notation in the manual NOT to alter the air box.  Perhaps they are doing this for the S model only.  I only mention this in a very casual way--my ride has the air box opened up, the carb rejetted and the baffles of the exhaust have been "altered".  I am now concentrating on the ergonomics of the bike and considering the final remaining step...the seat.  I know......Seat Concepts?

Ah that explains a bit.  Here we have no requirement to pass emissions or even have emission requirements for being sold new.  We do have a law that came into effect this year that states that all new bikes over 250cc capacity require ABS.  That effectively means no more DRZ's sold new here only existing stock is being sold, if you let your registration lapse then you can't re-register your bike.

• Like 2

We don't have to pass emissions here either for motorcycles.  I suppose some over zealous gendarme could make life miserable using the regulations, but I, for one have never heard of it happening.  I haven't heard of any requirement on ABS equipped bikes here...yet.  That law in your country should certainly add value to existing bikes.  I just cringe every time the government passes new laws looking out for me.   It's a mystery to me why no one in the U.S. never challenged the seat belt laws.  Maybe some one did, but if so, I missed that one.    Years ago when I raced dirt track as a much younger rider for my initial effort, we had straight exhaust with the two strokes also using unmuffled ring a ding expansion chambers.  The Suzuki X-6 I had could make a real racket.  The guvmit (and I suppose the AMA) tried to save my hearing and mandated mufflers.  I just found another way to finish the job with firearms.  Live 'n learn I guess.  

8 hours ago, screaminsquirrels@comcast. said:

Yes, that is technically the case. Shoot, technically opening the air box and rejetting the carb is a big "no-no" on their eyes.

I've heard good things about seat concepts, and I just bought one of their tall seats. Unfortunately it came just before I started this conversion, so I only have about 30 seconds of stationary seat time. Initial impressions are good though.

• Like 1

That's my understanding too.  Actually, getting hassled over the modifications is very unlikely unless you happen to run into the very wrong type of cop.  I suppose actual required inspections would be a real problem, but the cost of such inspections would far outweigh the supposed value even according to the environmentalists, but one never knows.

My problem with a replacement seat is that I must choose a reduced height model.  Am "vertically challenged".  Currently using the gel seat and although I do not find it to be the 2x4 as it is often described (or worse), I would like a more endurable ride.  I have used it for seven hours of 150 mile riding and survived actually without permanent damage, but would certainly appreciate an improvement, especially as I get older.  Am considering the Seat Concepts Low or the Sargent seat.  And yes, I have read numerous reviews here and elsewhere in addition to videos on You Tube.  The Seat Concepts runs me $305 with tax & shipping and the best I found on the Sargent about $370 when I found one on Amazon for $341 with free shipping but still had to pay the tax.  Unfortunately the Amazon offering is gone.