david chessum

Crf250l came dry. Do I need to oil it?

Hi all hope all is well. I bought a new air filter for my Crf250l & I noticed it’s not oiled do I need to put oil on it if so what oil should I use? & how?

I think so it’s hard to tell it’s very dirty. I’ve been trying to YouTube it but it doesn’t show Crf250l being done. Is it just some sort of spray oil I get?

Foam filters found in off road applications need to be oiled. Usually the packaging will say oil before use but I wouldn't rely on that. If it's a paper filter then it wouldn't need oil. I don't know what the crf250l uses but I know the other crf250's use foam filters that need oil.

Watch a video. The spray stuff is the easiest. Spray on work in with your hands and let it dry for a bit and run it. Clean it often for the best performance and protection for your engine.

• Like 1

To the OP: 

CRF250L stock air filter is paper, and does NOT require oil.  If however the OE filter has been swapped out for a foam type filter (uni-filter maybe is one that I'm aware of), then the above advice from other posters applies.

If you want to know more about the 250L then there are a huge number and variety of threads within the specific forum for the bike.  

Stay safe everybody.

• Helpful 1

There are some stupid answers on this thread and Alan has it right. The stock CRF250L filter is paper and not oiled. Some aftermarket filters are oiled. If it's foam yes, if it's cotton like K&N yes. 

2 hours ago, Drop-Bear said:

If it is a paper air filter @david chessum. Replace it ASAP with a foam filter. 

Paper. Wow. I didn't think Honda had gotten that bad, yet.

Paper filter on a dirt bike. Absolutely brilliant 🙄

Stock air filter filter on a KTM 690 / Husky 701 is paper. Paper filters better than foam and actually flows better but it has a downside: water. That's the main reason to switch to foam. That and serviceability. If you ride dry, semi dusty conditions, and never see any deeper puddles or water crossings, paper does a fine job.

Buddy with a stock paper filter. He never changed his to foam and luckily never had an issue. I didn't chance it and swapped over to a Twin Air drop in.

sloggin.jpg

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Bryan II said:

Stock air filter filter on a KTM 690 / Husky 701 is paper. Paper filters better than foam and actually flows better but it has a downside: water. That's the main reason to switch to foam. If you ride dry, semi dusty conditions, paper does a fine job.

I ride a 701, so that did cross my mind right after I posted. But, in my defence, mine's a supermoto :D

I think It's ridiculous for any mfg to put a paper filter in a "dirt" bike. I'm setting my 701 up for more off road type stuff atm, so, I'll be changing the air filter to a foam one. It annoys me that I have to tbh. I'll mostly be riding dry, semi dusty conditions, but, peace of mind and all.

I was wondering in my first post if It'd be paper, as did another poster after me, hence why I "assumed" it'd be the same as most. Still surprised it is paper though.

Edited by Drop-Bear
  • Like 1

CRF250L is a street bike made to look like a dirt bike.

As noted the stock paper filter works well. I swapped to a K&N which many say is worse than a paper filter on a "dirt bike" and even drilled large holes in my air box for better breathing. I do ride mine in the dirt and those filters everyone says won't work have all worked great for me.

Why do people with no experience with the bike or a specific mod post their "expert" answers on here anyway?

• Like 2