Something I'm doing wrong....jumps

I'm new to this sport. Today was my second time to make it to the MX track. I am starting to jump on the tabletops and I'm having some trouble.

Sometimes the bike tries to catapult me away from it (up)just after leaving the ground. My feet end up floating above the pegs, which sucks on landing. I am trying to grip the bike with my knees and feet, but when this happens it forces me away from the bike.

I'm a tall rider and was thinking that I'm just not getting forward enough on the bike. I have a few pics, and when I think I'm centered on the bike, it looks like I'm pretty far back. Could this be causing it, or is it suspension related? I have set my race sag, but the clicker settings are all stock.

Its a little suspension, a lot rider. You dont need to "bunny hop" the bike. It almost sounds like your "dead salioring" the bike a bit too. Just cus your off the ground doesnt mean you stop riding!

You may want to go a little tighter with the compression dampers.

Unless you can get someone to acutally watch what youre doing...Its tough to feed a cure...

You dont need to "bunny hop" the bike.

I'm not sure what that means.....

It almost sounds like your "dead salioring" the bike a bit too. Just cus your off the ground doesnt mean you stop riding!

I think I understand what you're sayin here....and you're making a good point. The times when I make a jump and feels good, I'm in a completely different position on the bike (ie. riding it, not just hangin on)

Thanks for the input........

• Experts

I'm new to this sport. Today was my second time to make it to the MX track. I am starting to jump on the tabletops and I'm having some trouble.

Sometimes the bike tries to catapult me away from it (up)just after leaving the ground. My feet end up floating above the pegs, which sucks on landing. I am trying to grip the bike with my knees and feet, but when this happens it forces me away from the bike.

I'm a tall rider and was thinking that I'm just not getting forward enough on the bike. I have a few pics, and when I think I'm centered on the bike, it looks like I'm pretty far back. Could this be causing it, or is it suspension related? I have set my race sag, but the clicker settings are all stock.

I would say that your timing is off. You have to feel the compression and rebound parts of the jump in your legs and use the throttle and your body movements at the same :usa:time in order to maintain control. It's just going to take more practice time. In the mean time continue having fun and keep it on two wheels.

sounds like your keeping your legs stiff off the face of the jump and the rebound of the bike is pushing you off the pegs. try keeping them a little bent and as your leaving the jump push off a little with your legs. it may seem like your going to move away from the bike but, the bike will be right there with you. about where your body is, definitely stay more forward on the bike.

Since you are new, I would suggest that you slow down and start small. It sounds like you are operating past your current limits. GS has given you good advice, but I think you might start a little smaller and work on your technique on smaller stuff. Your second time out on a MX track, take it easy before you wad yourself and get hurt. Find a jump that has a nice smooth face and start slow and get the feel of the launch. Gripping the bike is good, but just get the feel of how the bike flies at a lower altitute. Once you get the feel, things will progress faster. Just remember that if you crash and get hurt, it will take that much longer to get back going again.

James

sounds like your keeping your legs stiff off the face of the jump and the rebound of the bike is pushing you off the pegs. try keeping them a little bent and as your leaving the jump push off a little with your legs.

I bet that's it, sounds exactly like what I'm going through.

Thanks to everyone for the input....a lot to think about.

One thing to also remember that is very important with thumpers. If you chop the throttle or let off too soon on the face of the jumps, it will endo. It will feel like you are getting bucked off. Steady throttle as you leave the ground. Some small doubles you can try and seat bounce but only if you are comfortable doing it. And also grip with your legs if you feel unstable.

I had the same exact problem as you when I first started jumping. It is definitely a feeling that makes you want to keep both tires on the ground. It just takes practice. Somehow it becomes intuitive and your feet almost stick to the pegs without any real effort. I don't squeeze the bike with my legs (I know I should) and still don't have any trouble.

Just keep it small and make sure you don't let off the throttle at all on the takeoff.

It's a combination of all of these things. I was stiff legged & choppin throttle mostly. I actually started doing better once I gave up thinking about all of the things I'm supposed to be doing.

The track I am riding on is about a mile long with 11 jumps. I realize now that each time around, I'm jumping 11 'different' jumps. That is part of what was giving me trouble. I'd hit one and endo, correct for that on the next one and the front tire would go staight up, etc.

So what I've done is pick two of the jumps to work on for each of my riding sessions. I ride the rest of the track easy until I get to the turn before one of these jumps, and concentrate on nailing it. This is really helping me realize the different characteistics of each type of jump.

Luckily I'm riding a CRF250x, VERY forgiving suspension ?

One thing to also remember that is very important with thumpers. If you chop the throttle or let off too soon on the face of the jumps, it will endo. It will feel like you are getting bucked off. Steady throttle as you leave the ground. Some small doubles you can try and seat bounce but only if you are comfortable doing it. And also grip with your legs if you feel unstable.

For the bigger things I hold it off the lip but on smaller stuff its a little twist

• Experts

This is because your timing is off. When the bike compresses and rebounds from the jump you have to let your body jump with the bike, it sounds like you're letting the bike kick you up off of it. Try feeling the compresion and rebound and go with it. Stay on small forgiving jumps as you get the hang of it. Remember that your body movement and throttle control are what gives you control as the bike ? rebounds from the take off part of the jump.

This is because your timing is off. When the bike compresses and rebounds from the jump you have to let your body jump with the bike, it sounds like you're letting the bike kick you up off of it. Try feeling the compresion and rebound and go with it. Stay on small forgiving jumps as you get the hang of it. Remember that your body movement and throttle control are what gives you control as the bike ? rebounds from the take off part of the jump.

Yeah follow what Gary says. One he knows what hes talking about and a long time ago I used to have this problem and I fixed the problem myself but the advice of gary is dead on.

• 3 weeks later...

It's so cool to have Gary Semics give advices on TT!

Buying and watching Gary's videos have helped me in ways that I never have imagined! ?

When I ride now on the track, Gary is in my head all the time. What I would do is to take out Gary's training videos a few days before my ride and just watch it. It really helps.

Before, I was just "riding" on the track. Nowadays, when I'm riding on a track, I'm constantly adjusting my riding to have "total control" of my bike.

Interestingly, the first thing that I learned from Gary's video was "center of balance". Once I rode with my body ppositioning at "center of balance" and hands and arms "relaxed", my arm pump went away. I then was able to take breaking bumps a lot better because the bike not pivots while I'm at the center of balance. Before, I was rocking with the bike (not good).

The 2nd thing that I learned was sit-bounce when jumping.

Once I learned to use the compression and rebound of the bike, I was able to sit-bounce over jumps with less energy

exertion and less speed.

I can go on and on about Gary's videos....

Gary! Please update your videos! Are those bikes from the 1920's? :devil:

It is great to have Gary involved. I have the videos too. The only problem I have with that is I'm old and can't seem to remember much by the time I get to the track :devil:

One thing I'm finding out. The more I ride, the more I seem to answer my own questions.

Seat bounce ? I have to work on that one.

It is great to have Gary involved. I have the videos too. The only problem I have with that is I'm old and can't seem to remember much by the time I get to the track :awww:

One thing I'm finding out. The more I ride, the more I seem to answer my own questions.

Seat bounce ? I have to work on that one.

Take some RED BULL, good for the body and mind,plus it gives you wiiings. ?:devil:

They are all right but the best advice is to ride within your means and start out small, have fun it should be fun, you should not be changing your shorts every ride!!?:D