Posted (edited)

Hi everyone. I have brought a new air filter (no toil) and now everytime I try to clean it (I use petrol) all the shit stays in the filter. I get the dust and dirt out but little tinny stick, kinda splinter like debris are left ingrained deep in the filter. 

The pores if that is what you call them or the foam size is massive and allows shit like that to get into it. The stock filters pores are alot smaller so keeps splinter like material out.

Do I need a better solvent to clean. Don't think that would work though as it's not dirt it's actual debri ingrained in the filter, or do I need a different brand air filter? The pics are attached. Note it isnt surface it is deep in the pores of filter. 

Screenshot_20200730_114734_com.android.gallery3d.jpg

Screenshot_20200730_114722_com.android.gallery3d.jpg

Edited by Tom Cornelius

It doesn’t get any simpler than using the no toil cleaner. It’s wife approved and won’t leave any residue in the kitchen sink.

It blows me away that people would willingly play in gasoline to clean a filter. 

• Like 11
  • Helpful 1
  • Haha 1

Used No Toil for a good amount of years, never had a filter look like that.  It's been great for me.

Like mentioned above, don't clean the with gas, warm water, their cleaner, kitchen sink, done.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Tom Cornelius said:

Hi everyone. I have brought a new air filter (no toil) and now everytime I try to clean it (I use petrol) all the shit stays in the filter. I get the dust and dirt out but little tinny stick, kinda splinter like debris are left ingrained deep in the filter. 

The pores if that is what you call them or the foam size is massive and allows shit like that to get into it. The stock filters pores are alot smaller so keeps splinter like material out.

Do I need a better solvent to clean. Don't think that would work though as it's not dirt it's actual debri ingrained in the filter, or do I need a different brand air filter? The pics are attached. Note it isnt surface it is deep in the pores of filter. 

Screenshot_20200730_114734_com.android.gallery3d.jpg

Screenshot_20200730_114722_com.android.gallery3d.jpg

Oxiclean is the same as the no-toil cleaner! Use it!

• Like 4
  • Helpful 3

And if you don't want to use the specific No-Toil cleaner, but a big tub of Oxy-Clean for cheap. Same stuff.

You may never get the filter clean all the way even using the correct cleaner for it now that you have used a gas/solvent on it.

• Like 2
  • Helpful 2

16 hours ago, filterx said:

Ya i wash them in warm water in my bathroom sink and both the filters & sink comes out spotless 🙂

I skip the sink and toss them all in my washing machine. I can clean 10 filters in the time it takes me to do one. 😆

• Like 5

16 hours ago, yz250f 78 said:

Oxiclean is the same as the no-toil cleaner! Use it!

it's similar and a smidge less effective. the no toil cleaner is shockingly effective and quick!

• Like 3

I have always found the K&N filter cleaner works well on any kind of filter.  Its what I have used for years.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, filterx said:

You need to use the No Toil cleaner or something similar and NOT petrol etc.

Go to their web site to learn how to clean/oil No Toil correctly

Yep! 🤙 NT oil is plant based and their cleaner in water turns their oil into soap. Works awesome IMHO.  @No Toil Industries

• Like 4
  • Helpful 1

I started using filter skins for this exact reason. Little rocks and sticks get lodged in the pores of the filter and since they don't dissolve, no amount of cleaning will get them out of there. With filter skins, it keeps the big chunks out of the filter to begin with.

• Like 6

38 minutes ago, woods-rider said:

I started using filter skins for this exact reason. Little rocks and sticks get lodged in the pores of the filter and since they don't dissolve, no amount of cleaning will get them out of there. With filter skins, it keeps the big chunks out of the filter to begin with.

Yep exactly what I'm dealing with. You haven't got a link to where they are for sale do you by any chance? 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Tom Cornelius said:

Yep exactly what I'm dealing with. You haven't got a link to where they are for sale do you by any chance? 

I think I got mine from Rocky Mountain, but they are available lots of places.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Grimlock said:

I skip the sink and toss them all in my washing machine. I can clean 10 filters in the time it takes me to do one. 😆

I actually like to wash them by hand in the bathroom sink cus usually the only time the sink gets really clean 🙂

Otherwise if you are say dirt bike and camping (not on a bike for me) for 4 or 5 days in the summer when its dusty, you can warm up some water on the camp stove, wash a filter if needed then just toss the water/cleaner cus IMO its BIO.

I guess if you were using normal filter oil and a solvent you could still do above and toss the solvent in the camp fire or try to store it some where until you get home but then you still have to deal with and I'll personally never use anything but a BIO oil/cleaner on my air filters but that's just me.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BOAB said:

I have always found the K&N filter cleaner works well on any kind of filter.  Its what I have used for years.

I've got K&N bio oil/cleaner for a K&N air filter but haven't tried their cleaner with No Toil but I'm sure it would work

• Like 1

I got some Flow filter a few years and they came with the red skins which I oil and really liked a lot cus easy to take off when needed and IMO work well.

I just tore my last one and I'm trying to see if I can find just there foam skins some place so if someone has a link for their skins that would work with a 05 CRF250R that would be awesome.

20160702_134508.thumb.jpg.aada1dfa61b0c414345d21d529c0af31.jpg

20160626_140845.thumb.jpg.d956585804372905c8dcb5aa7686f406.jpg

Then random filters pics cus I'm a bit bored :)

20150626_165350.thumb.jpg.bc390de9035eecd21a30da4007be602d.jpg20160626_165456.jpg.be7516dc9fc254616e0f0268a92a1519.jpg

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, woods-rider said:

I think I got mine from Rocky Mountain, but they are available lots of places.

I can't find them for my specific bike a 2006 klx300r. But I have found universal ones which apparently fit any air filter. Has anyone heard of these?