newslacker

Beta4Stroke Baja Designs Squadron Pro Kit Options

I did the Motominded kit and added a Baja Designs Squadron Sport. I have been very happy and the fit and finish was excellent. I am nit sure if the have a Hi/Lo switch harness, Mine just runs in High Beam and that is fine with me off road, might be too bright for nightime street use. 

4C7A78CD-CF6E-4162-B203-67479EFA9355.jpeg

DA95003D-92A1-4162-92AF-7604A85FEF81.jpeg

For my blu 390 & 690, I went w/ a baja designs XL Pro, which is their upgrade vers. over squadron pro. The XL comes w/ a built in hi/lo (25%  dim or 100%), and the LED is the lastest gen (more powerful, low energy, & low heat) Cree LED. 

For offroad use only, this proved to be a darn good upgrade,

but for road use, the lack of a cutoff got me too paranoid w/ oncoming cagers. 
I'm back to stock headlight now, and although it's not as bright as the LED, the stock headlight produces more even rectangular pattern on the ground, w/ that sharp distinct vertical cutoff. 

IF i were to do LED again, I would certainly look at the motominded  unit where they pack two separate LED clusters in the headlight, allowing the aim of the low beam 2 led pack to point down closer to the fender, and then aim the other 4 LED cluster more forward. This seems to be a compromise im willing to live with. 

there's another headligh LED mfr in europe that uses a 5 LED cluster headlight where the lower 2 led is designed via the optics to produce a cutoff. and at hi beam, all 5 LED lights up.  Last i checked they only support KTM line. 

I've had the MotoMinded Squadron Pro since I got my bike in 02/2017.  It is an awesome light. 

I have installed/tightened the bracket/light so that with a press of a finger, I can tilt the light up or down to suit the terrain/conditions.  

It makes any sort of night-riding awesome as the output is fantastic.  

I did not get the dimmer.  The high/low beam now acts as the on/off where high-beam is ON and low beam is OFF.  

• Helpful 1

Got a little more info from MotoMinded:

• Squadron Pro with Dimmer allows low beam adjustment from 0-90% with existing hi/low switchgear.
  • Ultimate Pro is 2x S2 Pros stacked which are individually adjustable. Switchgear toggles the hi beam on/off (low beam always on at 100% brightness). No dimmer option.

Not sure on the Beta option. Squadron Pro but without the diffuse lens (at least in the photos). Assuming switchgear toggles the high beams on/off.

For dual sport use Squadron Pro with Dimmer from MotoMinded looks like a winner.

I have the Squadron Pro on my 17 300 RE, and the other day on a ride, noticed it was flickering. Haven't had a chance to look into it yet. It has a little white box behind the headlight mask though...I wonder if this is some sort of ant flicker box?

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Fowlsy said:

I have the Squadron Pro on my 17 300 RE, and the other day on a ride, noticed it was flickering. Haven't had a chance to look into it yet. It has a little white box behind the headlight mask though...I wonder if this is some sort of ant flicker box?

if it's flickering, it's probably b/c the power feeding the LED isn't pure DC, and/or there's not enough watts juicing it.

did you install the LED from the get go?

Edited by jeddclampette

On 8/4/2020 at 1:15 AM, Fowlsy said:

The output from the bike will not cause the Squadron Pro to flicker.  My MotoMinded Squadron Pro is simply hooked up to the +/- and I have no issues with output or flickering of any kind.  

Chances are, because you have a 2017, either the connections you made to the positive/negative are not sound or, more likely-the headlight wires in the harness going around the headstock are, and have been, rubbed and crushed and pulled and are now wonky and why your headlight is flickering.  

When your headlight flickers, go and touch the harness and see if you can make the flickering happen by touching/squeezing the wire bundle.  

On 8/4/2020 at 11:00 AM, jeddclampette said:

if it's flickering, it's probably b/c the power feeding the LED isn't pure DC, and/or there's not enough watts juicing it.

did you install the LED from the get go?

Thanks for the reply. No, the bike had the SP installed from the previous owner. I chased poor voltage at the battery (only 12.6V when running), for hrs after I bought the bike. Ended up being a bad diode (I put up a video on the Beta wiring maintenance thread), and that fixed the problem. Harness was all good. Only started seeing the flickering SP light problem  a week after, as Ive never had to use the light until then.

• Helpful 1

19 hours ago, Ben500RR-S said:

The output from the bike will not cause the Squadron Pro to flicker.  My MotoMinded Squadron Pro is simply hooked up to the +/- and I have no issues with output or flickering of any kind.  

Chances are, because you have a 2017, either the connections you made to the positive/negative are not sound or, more likely-the headlight wires in the harness going around the headstock are, and have been, rubbed and crushed and pulled and are now wonky and why your headlight is flickering.  

When your headlight flickers, go and touch the harness and see if you can make the flickering happen by touching/squeezing the wire bundle.  

By +/-, are you referring to the actual battery posts? Your SP is hard wired direct to battery?

A lot of LED lights get their extended life by being switched on and off rapidly by internal management electronics. The LEDs continue to glow briefly when they are powered off and so the light can effectively be switched on for only around 35% of the time without there being much drop in light output but the service life becomes 3 times longer (if my maths are correct!)

Some lights don't show any fade or flicker when fed with good DC but flicker can be exaggerated if the power feed is dirty or unstable.

To satisfy my curiosity, is the Squadron Pro lamp unit bespoke to them or have they taken an existing unit and engineered the housing to fit different bike makes?

3 hours ago, Fowlsy said:

By +/-, are you referring to the actual battery posts? Your SP is hard wired direct to battery?

I had connected the Squadron Pro's + and - leads to the bike's headlight wires=easy.  

I have no other device and did not need any other device or electrical component- for the headlight to work and keep on working.  With 360 hours and almost 7,000 miles and 3 1/2 years now, riding all year round and with snowbike use in the winters, the light has been going, and going, and going . . . 

I installed the MotoMinded Squadron Pro with dimmer on my 2020 390 RR-S. I have the low beam set really low- which is still bright. And I installed a switch Next to my key to turn the headlight off. Great set up and easy install.

4EBEDC83-EC2C-4082-AE04-AC0AE3B73AEC.jpeg

3D1A88EA-E92E-4AF3-BE5B-AB2D9981A36D.jpeg

• Like 1