ThumperTalk

2021 Toyota Tundra Updates, Pricing...

• Same, tried/true 5.7L V8 with 10,200lbs. of towing and 1,730 lbs. of max payload.
  • New colors for the trail edition: Army Green, Cement, Midnight Black, and Super White. 
  • Trail Editions also get two storage boxes inside the bed. The drive's side is sealed, so it can be used as a cooler.
  • TRD Pro gets a new color called "Lunar Rock". Other TRD colors are  Super White, Magnetic Gray Metallic and Midnight Black Metallic.
  • We're not expected to see the next gen of Tundra until end of 2021.

tundra.JPG

No doubt that the Tundra is a solid, proven truck but has the competition left it behind in terms of power, powertrain options, MPG and features? What do you think of the 2021 Tundra?

Posted (edited)

They price is not too bad and love that they are the roomiest of CC,  but I could never own one because of fuel mileage.   Lots of friends with Tundras of various ages and they definitely love their trucks.  The difference is that none of them drive over 15k or so per year.   I’m more like 35-38k mi annually. 

Edit: CC bed is too small for a DB

Edited by kxlubber

I didn't look at the Tundra because I was worried about fuel mileage.  Other than that I think it's still a competitive truck.  I'm getting a solid 18-19 mpg in my F150.

Then a buddy bought a used Tundra 2 years ago.  Crewcab but it is a 2wd.  He get's 18 mpg on his commute, so maybe all the claims about poor fuel economy aren't exactly true.

My two neighbors avg 13-15 around town and happy to see 16-17 on the highway. They love the trucks otherwise.

I own an '11 5.7 Crewmax 4x4, and yes... shes a piggy truck on fuel.  I average 12.7 in town and 17 if were are steady on the highway.  I've also used it to tow a u-haul full float car hauler with a pure stock on the back.  It absolutely DRANK fuel on that trip. As for bed size with the crewmax it's very small.  I'd prefer a 6.5 bed but I leave the gate down and it works ok for me.   More tie downs in the floor would be great.  The interior space is enormous, and the back seat reclines.  Stock radio sucks, even with the JBL package.  Dodge and Ford both have nicer interiors and better stereos.  I have the SR5 package

I've owned it 6 years now and the only failed part has been the rear view camera.

20180324_172617.jpg

I heard there’s something brewing on the tundra. Big changes. Pushed back another year. Toyota likes to get it right.

I have an 0h 8 5.7 SR5 dbl cab long box. All highway I’ve gotten over 19mpg I tow a 7x16 cargo extended height ceiling. (makes a difference) tows great. 9-11 mpg. 
Also tow a toy hauler. I get 6-7mpg. Great truck. No huge complaints. 
Same drivetrain as the ‘20 and ‘21 I believe!! A 14 year run is long in today’s auto arena. 

• Like 1

I have a 2010 with the 5.7 and love it .  Everybody puts them down because of fuel mileage, but most dont realize the difference is that Toyota uses real world figures where the big 3  seem to go by small engine, downhill, with a tailwind.  I have owned and have friends with all brands, and we all get pretty much the same mileage.  My take is that a truck is not built for comfort or economy, that's what cars are for.  Trucks are meant to work, and nothing that works hard gets great mileage.