Iplayforme

Athena Big Bore Ring Questions

I tried to settle these things on my own but just can't 100%

Ring gap positions are really not stated clearly in the Athena instructions. Best I can get out of it is:

Top Ring 12 

Second ring 6

Side ring 10

spacer 2

Side ring 6

The suzuki manual is different whereby in 2 instances rings line up but they are not next to each other. Which route is right or will they both work? I imagine that having nothing lined up is preferable. 

And I set ring gap to .018 for the top ring and .021 for the second. I found no recommendations by Athena so I kinda used a middle ground of Wiseco and the .004 per inch convention. I made sure to have the second ring larger. I went a bit bigger than the .004 considering the disaster that having them bind would be. 

Also, I'm sure a dumb question, but. The spacer and side rings(oil) - gap is not a consideration correct. I see it discussed nowhere. I guess they slide past one another. 

I just don't want that sick feeling you get when somethings together and you realize you should have done more homework first.

Thank you,

4 strokes don't have pins in the piston like a 2 stroke so the rings are free to float where ever they please. A general rule of thumb is to offset them all 120° to the best of your ability.  Right or wrong, I offset all of the oil rings as well.

14 hours ago, ohiodrz400sm said:

4 strokes don't have pins in the piston like a 2 stroke so the rings are free to float where ever they please. A general rule of thumb is to offset them all 120° to the best of your ability.  Right or wrong, I offset all of the oil rings as well.

That makes good sense. 

Also, now that I continue to read about end gap it seems i went a little too big.

3.7x.004 is .0148 I did .018

For second ring I did .021. 

My insanity is kicking in and Im wondering if I should order new rings and do it over. Is the difference big enough to worry about. Rings are $30 which doesn't bother me. I wanted to try to put it on this weekend and that would, of course, hold me up.

I would think that 0.018" gap for the top ring is larger than necessary but why an even larger ring gap for the lower ring?!  Why wouldn't both rings have the same gap, or perhaps even slightly smaller for the lower ring?

I ordered a new set and will set to .015 and .016 respectively for 1st and 2nd. Ive seen a few different sources suggest a small increase in the second ring. something to do with trapping pressure and pushing up on the first ring.

4 hours ago, 76xtdrvr said:

Here are the ring orientation and ring gap instructions from Cylinder Works I used for their 434cc kit. Note that The CW kit has a Vertex piston vs the Wiseco (?) in the Athena.

001.jpg.e30fbee8732d2a3033d91093e2bd23e2.jpg

Thank you for this. It is much better than what you get from athena. They dont discuss ring gap at all. This is clear and Ill use it. Thanks again.