Samuel Theriault

YZ125 Imperfections on new piston

I finally got my new piston after almost 3 months time and I open the box to see these weird stain looking things on it. I can barely catch a fingernail on them but I can't seem to scrape em off. Wondering if you guys would run this? Thanks!

IMG_9101.JPG

• Like 1

Why did it take you three months to get a piston? Looks fine to me. Sand it with 500 grit and clean it if you’re worried

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Sullysully said:

Why did it take you three months to get a piston? Looks fine to me. Sand it with 500 grit and clean it if you’re worried

It was on back order all the way in japan and the guy told me corona had been giving them issues with shipping. Thanks for tuning in

You should never sand a piston, small particles of grit will embed, ulitamtely damaging the bore. A very fine, smooth file and gently rub is the correct method. 

• Like 3
  • Helpful 2

1 hour ago, uniflow said:

You should never sand a piston, small particles of grit will embed, ulitamtely damaging the bore. A very fine, smooth file and gently rub is the correct method. 

Lol. Sanding a piston is literally in my Yamaha manual.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, uniflow said:

What do they know. 

Didn’t say you’re wrong. Yamaha has let us down on more than one occasion 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Samuel Theriault said:

I finally got my new piston after almost 3 months time and I open the box to see these weird stain looking things on it. I can barely catch a fingernail on them but I can't seem to scrape em off. Wondering if you guys would run this? Thanks!

IMG_9101.JPG

Hopefully it's just staining from being in the box for a long time. Yeah I'd hit it with a scotch bright pad, probably clean right up

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Samuel Theriault said:

It was on back order all the way in japan and the guy told me corona had been giving them issues with shipping. Thanks for tuning in

Ah the official corona excuse, its funny, I see fed express, and ups running regular schedules, lots of 18 wheelers on the highways, and I just bet they are full of cargo. Nope they are using excuses for their mistakes. I ordered something for a hobby and they blamed the corona virus also. LOL! The are full of cheeze. As far as the stains, just use some wd-40 and a shop rag to wipe it down, and install it. It might be surface rust..😐

Edited by M E T A L A C I D
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, Samuel Theriault said:

I can barely catch a fingernail on them but I can't seem to scrape em off.

Try a Mr Clean Magic Eraser.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, M E T A L A C I D said:

Ah the official corona excuse, its funny, I see fed express, and ups running regular schedules, lots of 18 wheelers on the highways, and I just bet they are full of cargo. Nope they are using excuses for their mistakes. I ordered something for a hobby and they blamed the corona virus also. LOL! The are full of cheeze. As far as the stains, just use some wd-40 and a shop rag to wipe it down, and install it. It might be surface rust..😐

Rusty Steel piston? 

Edited by adnohguy
  • Helpful 1
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, rpt50 said:

Run it.

This /\

4 hours ago, M E T A L A C I D said:

Let’s call it what it is. FA-CHINA VIRUS

• Like 6
  • Helpful 1
  • Haha 1

If anything steel wool or scotchbright then brake cleaner. Or just run it 🔧

• Like 3

I've had a few look like that. When I lived on the coast and bought a couple to have on hand they would sometimes have a bit of corrosion on them by the time I got around to using them. Use a wire brush. Afterward wipe with oil on a terrycloth towel to remove any debris. Or a scotchbrite pad will work too.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cr500afmike said:

or what Johnathon said. spit cleans everything.

It really does and it’s weird

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, Samuel Theriault said:

You should have told them to switch to coors light, it’ll fix their shipping issues

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

20 hours ago, Samuel Theriault said:

IMG_9101.JPG

maybe it's a junkyard piston that they had to "scrape-up". the stain shows it sat on it's side for awhile,maybe also. the newspaper reads uk at bottom. what language?🇺🇸🤔