Mark0450

Ltz400 cracked engine mount hole?

I'm going to rebuild this ltz400 engine but these cracks have me concerned. From what it looks like, if I just ignore it and tighten it down the crack will continue getting bigger until it busts through the case. I don't want to spend any money on another case. Would hogging out the crack and welding it be effective? I doubt jb weld would help. 

Snapchat-1523401440.jpg

20200730_181933.jpg

20200730_181924.jpg

Drill a small (2-3mm) hole at the end of the crack and have it welded by a Pro, one spot at a time. Is that the right bolt? Also check the frame for being wobbled out. Be sure to keep motor mounts Tight.

5 hours ago, Jackrides said:

Drill a small (2-3mm) hole at the end of the crack and have it welded by a Pro, one spot at a time. Is that the right bolt? Also check the frame for being wobbled out. Be sure to keep motor mounts Tight.

Okay. Might be difficult finding someone local that's a pro at welding aluminum. And of course. The previous owner had all the bolts loose and would force it into gear by stomping the shifter. Now I'm dealing with the carnage lol. Got it for 200$ after he turned the reverse gears to swiss cheese. 

6 teeth were sheared off the reverse gear and I'm assuming the idle gear it rides on is destroyed too. I'm in Cali unfortunately. 

I doubt that crack will get any worse if the motor mounts are kept tight. 

My advice is to torque it up real good and run it!

4 minutes ago, doug the slug said:

I doubt that crack will get any worse if the motor mounts are kept tight. 

My advice is to torque it up real good and run it!

You sure? You can tell the crack moved to the other side. I feel like if I tighten it,  it'll just wedge it apart. I was thinking about using a brazing rod on it but idk if that's strong enough. 

Not sure, haha...I'd try it as is, run it and keep an eye down there. I bet it's ok. How old is this beast?