Sure. I've been running that type (not necessarily Prestone) of coolant mixed at 50/50 for years.

• Like 1

That's Dexcool.  Wasn't this stuff supposed to be a problem in many vehicle cooling systems to the extent it got the nickname "deathcool"?  I haven't read anything about it recently, but it got a really bad rap in the past.  Maybe the formula has changed?  If that coolant is pinkish orange, I think I'd pass and find the more common yellowish mix that is known for sure to be ethylene glycol which is what most cars and motorcycles use.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, TNC said:

That's Dexcool.  Wasn't this stuff supposed to be a problem in many vehicle cooling systems to the extent it got the nickname "deathcool"?  I haven't read anything about it recently, but it got a really bad rap in the past.  Maybe the formula has changed?  If that coolant is pinkish orange, I think I'd pass and find the more common yellowish mix that is known for sure to be ethylene glycol which is what most cars and motorcycles use.

I read something similar. The orange gm stuff was not recommended for bikes. The  yellow bottle of Prestone, the green shit, is where it’s at.  

• Like 3
  • Helpful 1

So............I am no expert but this is what I have been told........Dexcool is a GM developed coolant that works great in aluminum engines.  It transfers heat well and another difference is that it runs clean in passage ways ( leaves behind no residue ).  Glycol coolant ( the green traditional stuff ) leaves a small film in passage ways as it is being used.  This works well in cast iron blocks to help prevent corrosion.  

Using Dexcool in a system that has been running Glycol ( green traditional coolant ) can cause that residue / film to break loose and has the possibility of clogging up the coolant system and causing issues. 

I know this as a buddy with an LSA ( super charged small block all aluminum chevy motor ) in his jet boat lost a sight glass tube out on the river one day..........we put in glycol and river water to get us back to the dock then learned of the things I mentioned above...........had to do a lengthy purge / clean of the entire coolant system and re-fill with Dexcool. 

Running Green for a bit in a system that has Dexcool is not the end of the world like what happend with the boat..........but the reverse putting the orange dexcool in a system that has been running Glycol can cause problems by breaking loose the protective film Glycol leaves behind.  Just a heads up.  If ya run it check your system a bit after running and make sure it isn't causing issues.

Dave

• Like 5
  • Helpful 3

That's some great info! So, the factory already had the green coolant already running through the bike. Would you recommend I just stick with the green? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Manjot Lail said:

That's some great info! So, the factory already had the green coolant already running through the bike. Would you recommend I just stick with the green? 

That’s what i would do. Or if you do choose to run a different color, make sure you flush the system with distilled water

• Like 2

I just looked in our shop manuals for a few water cooled Kaw's.  They all say ethylene glycol and even say the color should be green...the green and yellow on these coolants are usually described interchangeably.  I'd take Kawasaki's word on this before GM's...LOL!

• Like 1

All I know is I use Prestone yellow bottle 50/50 and that stuff has been in our quads for over 10 years without replacement. It's now in my Kx 100.

• Like 5