Adrian Brinkman

Beta2Stroke Clatter normal ?

2017 Beta 300rr (first bike ever).   I’m curious is it normal to hear chatter around what seems like chain/sprocket/chain guide area) while cruising or breaking over rough rocky areas at speed or should the bike be silent other than the suspension working?

ps my chain is tight to spec.

How worn are the chain and sprockets? If you can pull the chain away from the rear sprocket or move it side to side against the teeth then it's on the way out. Check that none of the rollers are over worn or cracked.

The chain guide will also wear so the hole the chain runs through gets wider and taller. Guides are cheap enough so treat your bike to a new one when you next change the chain and sprockets.

Don't put a new chain on old worn sprockets or you'll be throwing your money away.

You will always have some noise but wear will ramp it up.

• Like 1

A well lubed chain will make less noise.  Be careful not to get the chain too tight trying to get rid of the noise.   “To spec” on this model seemed pretty tight to me. If your chain, Sprockets, and plastic bits are healthy put some ear plugs in and enjoy the ride.  Great bike.    

• Like 1

The 300s chain looks unusually loose when properly set. I confirm proper tension by looking at it when its strapped down on my hitch mount. Even set just right mine slaps and it's a noise I kind of just ignore now. When you dont know what it is making that noise it will drive you crazy though. I also clean and wax my chain after every ride no matter how short. It still slaps and has done it since brand new.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Adrian Brinkman said:

@edgecombe, do all bikes chatter?

I'll say no. My 4 stroke husky or xr didn't, but that maybe cause I couldn't hear it.

My 300 is very noisy, the 200 next to no noise and my friends bikes which include ktms, huskys, and yzs weren't to the point that it was noticable. It's just a characteristic of the beta 300 you have to get used to.

• Like 1

I set my 17 300 RE chain on the loose side, clean and wax my chain after EVERY ride, and my chain and sprockets only have about 50 - 60 hrs...but they all still look and feel new. As a prev person said, you want to hear the chain slap some, elspecially at slower, gnarly stuff. If chain pulls off the rear sprocket when pulling it, change all 3 items. And yeah, while ur at it, throw on a bew slide and a guide.

20200629_115704.jpg

My 13 300rr had a lot of chain slap, even when the chain was properly adjusted. I learned to live with it, and yes it was annoying.

On ‎7‎/‎31‎/‎2020 at 8:51 AM, Adrian Brinkman said:

Yeah I’m a bit worried its tad too tight trying to remove the chatter.  

Spec is to tight, at least on my '17 XT, call's for 7/8". My c.s. seal started leaking after the 1st ride. 1 3/8" behind the chain slider seems to be good.

• Like 1