liberty2701

K&N air filter. You be the judge.

13 minutes ago, KRAYNIAL said:

" I've used them for years, worked fine for me, no problems. "

^^ the biggest red flag comment in all of motorcycling ; neophyte technical-free product evaluations..........

As opposed to 'K&N filters suck' or 'K$N are crap' greensquid.gif.d8b3c4d4275181c75ecbe6800488099a.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Saying that a K&N "doesn't filter as much" or "has more holes when I look at the sun" is simply the other side of "it flows better." That's physics. On my DRZ400 with a big MXC41 pumper carb, the K&N improves throttle response and high-RPM power. So my foam filter was a choke point (literally).

On other bikes, the filter may not be as restrictive as other parts of the system. Or maybe the rider values max filtration more than incremental performance.

It's all engineering tradeoffs. To each his own.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, filterx said:

My DRZ has a metal wire pressing the filter

I wrapped a 3/8" strand of duct tape to the wire where it makes contact with the filter to give it a larger diameter and it seems to seal the K&N on my DRZ a little better

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Rod21 said:

You have any data on that? Did you have bad bad experience with one?

Not asking you to do a science project, but what proof do you have that they can't be trusted.

There’s lots of data out there detailing the poor filtration capability. Especially for turbo vehicles. Look at what happens to compressor wheels after running these filters. I was foolish enough to run one in my powerstroke at one point and it folded in half and was sucked into the intake. 

• Helpful 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, DEATH_INC. said:

Be interesting what K&N have to say about it.

I've used them in My old 4WD with no issues (and a couple of roadbikes, though they're hardly a test), and plenty of offroad guys run them with no problems too. Yet every so often We see threads like this. What did you have an issue with? I wonder if it's just certain models, or a quality control issue perhaps.

The patrol forum guys love them.

• Like 1

Its says right on the K&N website " a performance upgrade for CFM, based on a reduction of laminar interference' .

Flows better, filters less.  Like a lot less.  

N95 - .125 microns

Twin Air - 25 micons properly oiled

Uni filter - 15 microns properly oiled

DT-1 dual layer filter - 10 microns properly oiled

K&N filter - 85 mircons properly oiled

• Like 5
  • Helpful 5

32 minutes ago, KRAYNIAL said:

Its says right on the K&N website " a performance upgrade for CFM, based on a reduction of laminar interference' .

N95 - .125 microns

Thanks for sharing that. 

I run one in my Buell (foam ones are hard to come by and OEM paper units are overpriced) but I would never run one for any off-road application. I ran one in my old truck that saw a lot of gravel and fine dust and was amazed at how much grit got past the filter. I ended up using a skin over top of it and the results improved but were still concerning. I ditched it and went back to the OEM air box and filter. 

K&N filters have their place but off-road isn’t one of them.

• Like 2
  • Helpful 2

2 hours ago, KRAYNIAL said:

N95 - .125 microns

I like to think I'm FAIRLY open minded and nice to see the the above and does make sense.

If I decide to change the K&N to a foam filter on my DRZ I'll take a look at the Uni Filter Motocross Ultra-Seal Air Filter but I'll have to do some research so see how it actually seals with the clip.

Anyway I'm going to be buying some filter skins for my CRF250R (No Toil, HiFiltro foam) so might buy a set for the K&N if they fit at the same time but i really only ride the DRZ say 70 road/30 dirt and then on the dirt in the spring/fall when its not really dusty.

Clipboard01.jpg.9c4f352db89a413bf4d753fb33bedee5.jpg

I do understands the importance of keeping dirt out of high performance dirt bike engines but also makes me wonder what the cars in say the Baja 1000 or Dakar etc are using for their air filters and don't have much planned for the long weekend so might do some reach later 🙂

Have a NICE weekend 🙂

• Like 1

There is a reason NO factory bikes come with a K&N. They way they are made means they don't filter well until they are dirty which allows dirt to pass through up until that point . I will use a K&N on my Chevelle because it looks the nicest and it never sees a dirt road . I'll run one on my Harley for the same reasons . You guys can fanboy all you want about your K&N filters but I've seen to many let dirt in to damage off road engines . Those engineers designing dirt bikes have to be pretty sharp and they stick with foam filters for many years. 

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

10 hours ago, DEATH_INC. said:

As opposed to 'K&N filters suck' or 'K$N are crap' greensquid.gif.d8b3c4d4275181c75ecbe6800488099a.gif

I was tired and not in a mood to write a book, anyone with a brain can do the research and realize they filter dust about as well as surgical masks filter covid.....  😷

K$N are crap.

• Like 2

Also im pretty sure the trophy trucks run a K&N with a foam cover over them .

• Helpful 1

3 minutes ago, 510KTM said:

Also im pretty sure the trophy trucks run a K&N with a foam cover over them .

Trophy truck engines get rebuilt a lot..... 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

I really want to drive a trophy truck. Can anyone hook me up?

Edited by 69fastback
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, KRAYNIAL said:

" I've used them for years, worked fine for me, no problems. "

^^ the biggest red flag comment in all technology; neophyte technical-free product evaluations..........

fixed

1 hour ago, filterx said:

I like to think I'm FAIRLY open minded and nice to see the the above and does make sense.

If I decide to change the K&N to a foam filter on my DRZ I'll take a look at the Uni Filter Motocross Ultra-Seal Air Filter but I'll have to do some research so see how it actually seals with the clip.

Anyway I'm going to be buying some filter skins for my CRF250R (No Toil, HiFiltro foam) so might buy a set for the K&N if they fit at the same time but i really only ride the DRZ say 70 road/30 dirt and then on the dirt in the spring/fall when its not really dusty.

Clipboard01.jpg.9c4f352db89a413bf4d753fb33bedee5.jpg

I do understands the importance of keeping dirt out of high performance dirt bike engines but also makes me wonder what the cars in say the Baja 1000 or Dakar etc are using for their air filters and don't have much planned for the long weekend so might do some reach later 🙂

Have a NICE weekend 🙂

Take away K&N...  Add in Notoil ?

Sounds like one step forward two steps back. 

4 minutes ago, Govt Cheese said:

Take away K&N...  Add in Notoil ?

Sounds like one step forward two steps back. 

K&N has bio oil/cleaner and what i use for my DRZ

I've been using No Toil for foam filters for 10 years and I contacted them about something and they send me one of their cleaning kits and foam filter kits for free but I still haven't use their or HiFiltro foam filters in my CRF but it will be No Toil oil/cleaner when I do.

I slightly regret posting in this topic cus at the end of the day, it like whats the best oil, tires etc and there will be as many opinions as options and will depend on the bike, where you like, how you ride it.

Have a nice long weekend 🙂

19 minutes ago, filterx said:

K&N has bio oil/cleaner and what i use for my DRZ

I've been using No Toil for foam filters for 10 years and I contacted them about something and they send me one of their cleaning kits and foam filter kits for free but I still haven't use their or HiFiltro foam filters in my CRF but it will be No Toil oil/cleaner when I do.

I slightly regret posting in this topic cus at the end of the day, it like whats the best oil, tires etc and there will be as many opinions as options and will depend on the bike, where you like, how you ride it.

Have a nice long weekend 🙂

The HiFlo Filtro filters have been great in my girlfriend’s 150XC-W. The quality is definitely as good as Uni or Twin Air. 

• Like 1

If every dirt biker on earth uses quality filter oils on quality foam filters and cleans with quality solvents it doesn't do crap to the environment... but will be better for performance, maintenance and cost.

So No I won't Not Oil my bikes.  Went down that road when they 1st came to market...  and again when I became a parts dealer...  the compromise is Not Worth it. 

There you go...  The fan boys have turned a K&N thread into a Not Oil debate. Welcome to ThumperTalk. lol.gif.33ce85ee794f85a7eabc27e664d23d6a.gif

• Haha 1