MrSandMan

Made offer on new Honda CFR450L But Think I want DRZ400 instead

Hi guys, I am new here and live in Middle Tennessee. I recently sold my KLX250SF for a bigger bike, and have been doing a lot of research. I narrowed it down to a brand new CRF450L that's at a local dealership. I negotiated the price down to 10,800 OTD. But I ended up not buying it because I think I might be better suited for a DRZ400S.

I am a somewhat experienced rider. I've always owned 2-strokes back in the day such as 1977 CR125 Elsinore (those bikes are suicide machines), KX125, 1992 CR250R, 2006 KX450F (that bike gave me a concussion and made me realize I have limitations). And many others as I used to buy and sell older ones as a hobby back in high school. I'm 44 years old.

1. What is your skill Level (be honest)? Intermediate

2. What's your height & weight? 6'1" 230ibs

3. What year, make, & model of motorcycle are you coming from? And, what do you want the new bike to do better? See above

4. What's your ballpark budget? Under $11,000 (I want to buy brand new)

5. What types of terrain will you be riding? Mostly roads and some two tracks - Just a putt'n around bike

6. Will you be racing or just play riding? Just putt'n around

I love the CRF450 fuel injection, suspension, 6 speed. and I love how light-weight it is. I do not like the maintenance.  I own a lawn mowing business and work on/maintain machines all day long, last thing I want to do as add more to my list. I just want something I can hop on and expect reliability after a long day of work.

I have found a 2013 Yamaha WR450F with only 50 hours on it for $4,500 -- best of all, it is already setup for a 250ib rider.  It is titled and I think road legal. It would need less aggressive tires on it tho.

So questions:

Which bike for a heavier guy with some riding experience?

Any bike not on this list I should consider?

Is 10,800 OTD for a 2020 CRF450L a price I should not refuse?

What kind of OTD price would I get on the 2020 DRZ400?

Being it is already August, should I wait a bit to shop for bikes to get a better price?

Thanks in advance, guys!

3 minutes ago, EnglertRacing said:

a drz is a heavy pig

That and its 5 speed and carbureted. I like the low maintenance and ability to find parts. I am not sure the weight of it will bother me too much, but I don't know. I also use to own street bikes and was considering an Indian, but decided I want a dual sport instead. Something that can take me away from all the people and will allow me to explore nature.

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

Buddy of mine almost bought a new klx300, good looking bike, very similar to the 450 but set up and designed for trails. Plenty of power for what your doing and at $5400 I think was their price is a damn good deal.

I never rode it or anything so no ideal it's feel but looks wise is nice.

• Helpful 1

Aw yes the DRZ400s vs CRF450L conundrum. Been on both...both are excellent in there own way. I own the DRZ400sm but have ridden the S as well.

DRZ400s - Very low maintenance, less money and a little heavier (+30 lbs is not a heavy pig...haters will hate 😁) probably more aftermarket parts than any Duel Sport bike.

CRF450L - Still low maintenance, more money and a little lighter, after market parts available. This is an excellent Bike with newer tech than the DRZ.

Q: Which bike for a heavier guy with some riding experience?

A: Both / Either

Q: Any bike not on this list I should consider?

A: Ya...lots

*DRZ400sm (with TKC80's or 50/50 tires for trail use or $1500 for a set of 18" and 21" rims/dirt tires and swap) Street bike to trail bike for less than the Honda!

Kawasaki KLX250.

KTM 690 ENDURO

KTM 690 SMC R

Yamaha XT250

Yamaha WR250R.

Husqvarna FE450

Honda XR650L

Kawasaki KLR650

Q: Is 10,800 OTD for a 2020 CRF450L a price I should not refuse?

A: Sounds reasonable

What kind of OTD price would I get on the 2020 DRZ400?

A: $7500ish OTD (DRZ400s)

Q: Being it is already August, should I wait a bit to shop for bikes to get a better price?

A: Hecks No! Its a toy...buy and ride!

My cousin has the CRF450L (dirt tires) and I have the DRZ400sm currently with Shinko 705's...we totally dog each others bikes but love to trade back and forth when riding. His is stock and mine is...ya not. BOTH ARE A BLAST!

EnglertRacing and myself are both biased go with the DRZ it will last longer...LOL 

• Like 4
  • Helpful 1

Posted (edited)

Oh I think I like that KTM 690 ENDURO. I wish my local dealer had that one in stock. Another bike on my list is the DR650, but they just sold all out of that one...

So if I want to buy a brand new bike today, it comes down to the DRZ400s, KTM 500 EXC or the Honda CRF450L. Those are my choices today. The dealer said with Covid, stock is sporadic to get right now. Not sure if true.

My gut says DRZ400 because it's bullet proof. My inner testosterone says CRF450L. I hated the kick stand on the KTM500 and I didn't enjoy the way it felt sitting on it. Maybe I am just crazy since it seems to be a popular bike with higher resell value.

EDIT: I want a bike 400cc and up. I like the KLX300, but I want a big upgrade over the KLX250 which was gutless even after a ton of mods.

Edited by MrSandMan
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, Doomsday2808 said:

Copy That! But less maintenance so for some that works.

I did have to mode my DRZ to get it to the performance level I wanted. Was fun stock...now its a blast.

What are the must have performance mods? Also, is the DRZ setup for a 230ibs rider?

It's hard to justify the CRF450L being worth $11k. It feels like it should MRSP around $8,000ish. While I was approved for the $11k bike, I am just not sure I want to spend that when I can get 2 DRZs for that.

Edited by MrSandMan
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, MrSandMan said:

What are the must have performance mods? Also, is the DRZ setup for a 230ibs rider?

3x3 airbox mod, JD Jet kit, these two easy modes really wake it up. On my DRZ400sm I also went to a 14 tooth front sprocket. 

Then you can have fun with a pipe, FCR carb, DRZ400E base gasket, cams and Big bore. I have not done the Big Bore or the FCR...probably never will.

Check out the DRZ400 section here on TT. There is so much information on the DRZ400 you can get lost for days! In fact I would go as far as saying that TT has the most available information on the DRZ than any other database on the planet. Check out the TT store and see whats available for DRZ mods...CRF's as well.

I am 6' 250 and its absolutely fine. I do have a heavier rate rear spring I will install next tire change which is coming soon...but should not be an issue at 230lbs with normal duel sport riding. I've been on bikes for 40 years and ride the supermoto more aggressive than my wife would like and at 250 I need a little less mush.

• Helpful 1

26 minutes ago, MrSandMan said:

Oh and check out SoCal Supermoto...they run the DRZ400 because they are so reliable...and parts are cheep.

No go. They refused my offer and I walked away. They are blowing out new SM models for $5900 + TTL up north. I'm not in love with the all black anyhow. Prefer white.

• Sad 1