Jump to content
MrSandMan

Made offer on new Honda CFR450L But Think I want DRZ400 instead

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Thanks. I found a couple used low miles 2020 local ones for sale for under $6k that have tons of upgrades. Such as the FMF G4 slip on, which I understand is the quietest aftermarket pipe available. And the color schemes are so much better. That one I posted all black, black wheels, and grey stickers (to me) seems boring. But of course, I understand you change things to taste. But I really like the all white SM models. So that would perfect for me out of the gate.

I found some local ones with 1,000 miles, 1,600 and one with 3,600 miles. What do you considered mileage getting up there, you think? 3600 seems a bit much to me

I also found out a showroom '19 CFR450L with 600 miles and has all the expensive mods such as Warp9 sumo wheels, Vortex ECU, full Yoshimura exhaust, 330mm front brake disc, Zeta brush guards, bar end mirrors, comes with all stock parts (wheels, tires, exhaust, ECU etc.). $10k

Edited by MrSandMan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

SandMan~

You like the KTM 690, but want "white?"

It just so happens that Husky is a "white" KTM. 

The bike you might take a look at is the Husqvarna 701. 

It has decent power. (74HP)

2 counter balancers to quell vibration. 

Last thing is the factory warranty~

KTM 690 gets 1 year/12,000 mile

Husky 701 gets 2 years/24,000 mile

Various model year bikes have differences, but they're becoming more and more similar, every year. 

With the incentives that KTM/HUSQ are offering currently, you should be in the ballpark, pricewise. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I love my 701, but I dont recommend it as a single track bike. It's just a bit lardy for real single track. It's awesome on the street, on gravel roads and on fast two track or quad trails. I did 160 miles yesterday and loved every minute. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Doctor Impostor said:

I love my 701, but I dont recommend it as a single track bike. It's just a bit lardy for real single track. It's awesome on the street, on gravel roads and on fast two track or quad trails. I did 160 miles yesterday and loved every minute. 

it only weighs 2lbs more than a drz.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, I was in the same position. I got a loaded 2015 WR450F with only 35 hours for $4k. It's the same era as the WR you're considering. It's way lighter and more powerful than the DRZ and the CRF. Yes, you gotta change the oil at 600-1000 miles. But that's a lot of off road miles! Really, if you ride 100 miles per week, you'll have to change the oil every two months. It takes 15 minutes. The other thing that gave me pause was valve adjustments. Racers gotta adjust them very regularly. The way I ride (and I suspect you're not too different) the valves rarely, like every 10k miles might need adjustment. Real-world experience of '12-'15 WR owners is that the engines are bulletproof and valves almost never need adjusting. Checking the clearance is a half-hour affair.

Any bike that's good on one type of terrain will be less so on others. The DRZ is can do everything o.k. but does nothing well. And the extra weight for us older guys is no fun off road. And let's face it. That's where you want to ride. If your a street rider, none of your three choices are ideal.

You can street legal the WR for a couple hundred dollars, so buying the CRF makes no real sense. Both are EFI. The CRF has 6 gears vs the WR's 5. But the final ratios are really close. Neither will be fun on extended highway rides. 

The value equation for the lightly used WR made total sense. In five years, the used CRF will be equally priced, but for now, it's way too much for what you can get.

If money is no object and you want new, check out a KTM 500 EXC-F. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/4/2020 at 12:40 PM, SprungDave said:

So, I was in the same position. I got a loaded 2015 WR450F with only 35 hours for $4k. It's the same era as the WR you're considering. It's way lighter and more powerful than the DRZ and the CRF. Yes, you gotta change the oil at 600-1000 miles. But that's a lot of off road miles! Really, if you ride 100 miles per week, you'll have to change the oil every two months. It takes 15 minutes. The other thing that gave me pause was valve adjustments. Racers gotta adjust them very regularly. The way I ride (and I suspect you're not too different) the valves rarely, like every 10k miles might need adjustment. Real-world experience of '12-'15 WR owners is that the engines are bulletproof and valves almost never need adjusting. Checking the clearance is a half-hour affair.

Any bike that's good on one type of terrain will be less so on others. The DRZ is can do everything o.k. but does nothing well. And the extra weight for us older guys is no fun off road. And let's face it. That's where you want to ride. If your a street rider, none of your three choices are ideal.

You can street legal the WR for a couple hundred dollars, so buying the CRF makes no real sense. Both are EFI. The CRF has 6 gears vs the WR's 5. But the final ratios are really close. Neither will be fun on extended highway rides. 

The value equation for the lightly used WR made total sense. In five years, the used CRF will be equally priced, but for now, it's way too much for what you can get.

If money is no object and you want new, check out a KTM 500 EXC-F. 

Or you could look at Husqvarna 501 instead of that linked crap.

Also I'm pretty sure if you dejunked the crf it would weigh a similar amount and can make more power than the wr

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

You need to shop around on the 450L. That OTD price is high. There are still some 2019's out there that have nice discounts. Also the 450L has a much better suspension than any of the bikes you are considering. All you will need to do is change the rear spring for your weight.

 

James

Edited by Kngelv

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Kngelv said:

You need to shop around on the 450L. That OTD price is high. There are still some 2019's out there that have nice discounts. Also the 450L has a much better suspension than any of the bikes you are considering. All you will need to do is change the rear spring for your weight.

 

James

What would you consider a reasonable OTD price? I'm still shopping.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I bought my DRZ400E brand new in 2001 and havent done anything to it but change the oil and keep up with the air filter in 19 years. I have ridden really gnarly stuff all the way up to 13,000 ft. I'm also 6'4" 250lbs and just got back from riding it in Colorado a few weeks ago, didn't have to do anything to it, no carb adjustment nothing, its just a tractor and will do anything you ask of it just fine. I would say im in between an intermediate and advanced trail rider. I have also ridden it on the street and own a honda ST1300 street bike thats fuel injected, my Honda lost more noticeable power at altitude then my carb'd DRZ. Oh and as far as the weight, i know mine is the dirt version but it weighs less than Honda 450l, I'm also in the market for a dual sport and Ive crossed the Honda off my list because of the maintenance requirements, its ridiculous.

Edited by Gshill

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...