2016 350 XCFW burning oil

My 2016 350 XCFW (330 hrs) runs great but it seems that I need to top off the oil after every ride, even just 1-2 hr rides.  It doesn’t need much, but the oil level drops to just out of sight in the sight glass.  It typically only takes ~1/10 of a liter to get it back to about mid-level in the sight glass.  I don’t see any blue smoke or other indications of burning oil.  I typically change the oil every 10-12 hrs and I’ve done top-ends at ~100 hrs.

Any thoughts?  

The only question to me is losing it through the bore or the valve seals.  some after market parts may naturally use more oil than oem.

Nothing nicer than a Ktm motor that doesn't burn a drop.

Ive been very impressed with the Oem oil ring on the 500's, its an extremely unique design thats so stout in design it doubles as a compression oil ring combo , I think the 350 uses the same type.

On 8/1/2020 at 4:31 PM, Spud786 said:

The only question to me is losing it through the bore or the valve seals.  some after market parts may naturally use more oil than oem.

Nothing nicer than a Ktm motor that doesn't burn a drop.

Ive been very impressed with the Oem oil ring on the 500's, its an extremely unique design thats so stout in design it doubles as a compression oil ring combo , I think the 350 uses the same type.

Thanks ... that’s a good idea.  I guess a compression check would help to see if I have a leak around piston rings, right?

43 minutes ago, drillman said:

Thanks ... that’s a good idea.  I guess a compression check would help to see if I have a leak around piston rings, right?

I dont think a compression check would really tell anything, cause it would be low via auto de compressor, and you could still have an oil ring issue, you could do a leak down check and still have an oil ring issue.

You could look at the valve stems, into the exhaust and intake ports, and see if any are obviously wet.

Even though you are not seeing any smoke or smell, its just not bad enough, and you might be recycling the escaping oil though  the valve cover vent, back into the motor. How nasty does the intake boot look in you air box.  Ive seen some really nasty one's(that splattering oil blow everywhere).

Is there any sign of it leaking out anywhere?  Note that on most 4-strokes the compression and oil rings are separate, and it is possible to have great compression but still burn oil because the compression rings are OK but the oil control rings are not.