D W

Any advice on best bike for a 53 year old?

Hi all,

Newbie member here, hopefully in the right place with my question!

I raced mx competitively, mostly 80cc. Continued into 125cc riding hard and jumping doubles etc. I'm now 53 years old and would like advice on the best bike to purchase? I'm 5'10" barefoot and muscular/stocky at 250+lbs. My friends refer to me as built like a fire hydrant. I am active with mountain biking and golf, so I'm no couch-potatoe.

I'd love to get back into dirt bikes, mainly a 50/50 mix of mx track & trail riding. I've looked at the 2020 wrf250, 450 big bores, but honestly the seat height and weighty 4-stroke are a little off-putting. The 2020 yz125 2-stroke seemed like a nice weight and quite manageable. 

Honestly, I'm a little confused... I'd like a bike I can grow with, and not be bored in two months with it. I've considered the ttr-230/klx300 but wonder as they are hefty weights, especially the klx300.

Am I reading too much into the height/weight? Any advice would be greatly appreciated?

Cheers,

D-man.

Posted (edited)

With your previous riding experience,

your weight/height (you will need to stiffen the suspension no matter which bike you buy)

(all full-sized dirt bikes are relatively the same height, at 5'10" you are already taller than many riders)

interest in both motocross track and trail riding,

and, concerns for weight and complexity of a late model 4-stroke

plus a budget for a brand new bike,

you should look into a Yamaha YZ250X (the off-road version of the motocross race bike)

Edited by mlatour
  • Like 1

Your too heavy for a 125 twostroke unless your just riding around your backyard.  Probably strong enough to handle the bikes you mentioned without trouble.  

Hey D - Man

I have a similar background to your riding ( raced motocross ) etc.when I was younger , I’m also 53 and wanting to ride trails , tracks and maybe race motocross again “the ( beer belly ) class of course “   , haha. I’m 5’10 and about 185 I just purchased a 2020 kx 250 . 
    ( I have always liked the motocross bikes )
You’re probably to big for a 125 so I’d say look at 250’s or 450’s . I didn’t realize how much the riding world and all of the bikes and choices had changed . 
Ive been looking for places to ride and wanting to meet people with similar interests in the Midwest ( SW Iowa )  .  Where are you from ?
I’m also trying to learn how to navigate these online forums . I‘m probably better at riding than computers and tablets !

Good Luck man .... Keith

3 minutes ago, Wild Child 204 said:

Hey D - Man

I have a similar background to your riding ( raced motocross ) etc.when I was younger , I’m also 53 and wanting to ride trails , tracks and maybe race motocross again “the ( beer belly ) class of course “   , haha. I’m 5’10 and about 185 I just purchased a 2020 kx 250 . 
    ( I have always liked the motocross bikes )
You’re probably to big for a 125 so I’d say look at 250’s or 450’s . I didn’t realize how much the riding world and all of the bikes and choices had changed . 
Ive been looking for places to ride and wanting to meet people with similar interests in the Midwest ( SW Iowa )  .  Where are you from ?
I’m also trying to learn how to navigate these online forums . I‘m probably better at riding than computers and tablets !

Good Luck man .... Keith

Thanks for the replies so far guys. Hey Keith, I finish "1st" in the beer belly class every weekend! Part of the reason I'd like to ride again, no doubt I'd drop 35lbs in short order. I'm actually Irish born, and had the opportunity to ride a few Irish mx tracks back in the mid-1990s. I live in Canada now, and we do have a local mx track but it's not the greatest. And you are right, things really have changed... back in my day clearing a double jump was an accomplishment, these days the guys are clearing triples while eating a bowl of cheerios. Good luck in hitting the hills again!

6 minutes ago, D W said:

I live in Canada now, and we do have a local mx track but it's not the greatest.

Are you within a reasonable driving distance from Montreal?

6 minutes ago, mlatour said:

Are you within a reasonable driving distance from Montreal?

About 2700 miles... but I'd do the journey for a decent mx track!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

You're always welcome, there are over 30 tracks to choose from in Qc.

about 5-6 located within 90 min. drive from Montreal.

Edited by mlatour
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, mlatour said:

You're always welcome, there are over 30 tracks to choose from in Qc.

about 5-6 located within 90 min. drive from Montreal.

Nice, I had no idea Qc was so heavy into mx. The wife & I want to do a road trip east at some stage, so I'll keep you posted 👍

• Like 1

FYI...welcome back to the sport.  A few things have changed.  There are now these categories of bikes:

• MX
  • Hare-Scramble/Cross Country
  • Enduro/Offroad
  • Street Legal Dirt Bikes (basically the Enduro/Offroad with just enough changes to make street legal)
  • Dual Sport

Sounds like you want to focus on bikes that can do double duty with offroad and track riding....that would be the HareScramble/Cross Country bikes.  Get to know the nomenclature of each of the manufacturers and the various features of their cross country bikes (they are not the same).  KTM - XC, XC-F models.  Husky = FX, TX models.  KTM/Husky have semi-wide ratio transmissions. Yamaha = YZ250FX/YZ450FX/YZ250X/YZ125X. Yamahas have wide ratio transmissions except for the YZ125X. Honda models are RX models and have close ratio transmissions (basicially like their MX bikes). 

I personally want a wide ratio transmission bike (and lighting etc, so I can plate but I am not track riding).

I just bought a 2020 ktm 250 xcf. Its light weight and very linear power wise. It never seems to be short on power like the older 250f's were. I havent had any issues with stalling at low speed or overheating. It was remapped to be a little richer on the bottom end. I am very pleased with and recommend this bike for anyone wanting a mx/offroad bike. Also im 220 lbs so im not light weight. 

37 minutes ago, TX-SANDMAN said:

What is your price range?

Probably around $10K, KTM are too pricey. Leaning towards a 2020 KX450.

2 hours ago, pat22043 said:

300cc two stroke Euro-Princess.

What exactly is a Euro-Princess?

1 minute ago, D W said:

What exactly is a Euro-Princess?

Any of the European bikes. KTM, Husqv, Beta, Sherco, GasGas.
While KTMs are expensive, they hold their value very well. A four year old KTM 300 XCW is going for over $7K now.

Thanks for all the replies guys. The 2020 KX450 has $1500 off ATM... about $10,700 CAD out the door. I’ve always liked the Husqvarna/KTM, but wonder how they compare to the Kawi - as far as reliability goes.

9 hours ago, pat22043 said:

300cc two stroke Euro-Princess.

This is what you want. Easy to ride, tame tiger that will come alive when needed. You can't go wrong - get the newest one you can afford.

If you don't like it you will not loose money....but I'm guessing you wont sell it.

On 8/1/2020 at 7:29 PM, D W said:

Hi all,

Newbie member here, hopefully in the right place with my question!

I raced mx competitively, mostly 80cc. Continued into 125cc riding hard and jumping doubles etc. I'm now 53 years old and would like advice on the best bike to purchase? I'm 5'10" barefoot and muscular/stocky at 250+lbs. My friends refer to me as built like a fire hydrant. I am active with mountain biking and golf, so I'm no couch-potatoe.

I'd love to get back into dirt bikes, mainly a 50/50 mix of mx track & trail riding. I've looked at the 2020 wrf250, 450 big bores, but honestly the seat height and weighty 4-stroke are a little off-putting. The 2020 yz125 2-stroke seemed like a nice weight and quite manageable. 

Honestly, I'm a little confused... I'd like a bike I can grow with, and not be bored in two months with it. I've considered the ttr-230/klx300 but wonder as they are hefty weights, especially the klx300.

Am I reading too much into the height/weight? Any advice would be greatly appreciated?

Cheers,

D-man.

2 fiddy 2 stroke. Good power, light weight, cheap to own...