Eric Nolte

Bent rad, replacement options?

Picked up my '16 250L second hand and she came with a good wallop to the rad.  I negotiated that on the sale and want to replace it now.  The fan is kicking on more than I think it should, so its possibly restricted too.  

Are there more efficient rads available I should consider?  And if anyone is near their bike or has pics stored, I would appreciate seeing how the rad shrouds attach.  The I'm missing my rad cover / lovers, and my shroud flexes at high speed, so I think I'm missing a mount.   Fortunately plastics are cheap.

Unrelated; what was originally under the seat on these bikes?  Theres velcro and mounting bosses for what looks like a toolkit?  But my toolkit is still in the side panel box.

Eric,

Found this thread with a link to GPI Racing alternative.  I haven't used, so don't know how they compare to OEM in terms of cost / performance, but it's a starting point for you hopefully.

Under-seat storage on mine contains a black plastic document pouch with the bike registration etc in it.  The pouch has corresponding velcro to keep it in place.  I know that some people have used this feature to secure their EJK as well... 

In terms of fasteners for the shroud, see attached picture.  Hope this helps.

Cheers.

20190223_090532-1.jpg

That's a good start.   Thanks Alan!  Ill look into GPI rad before ordering an OEM one.  Not sure if that's your picture or not, but if possible, could you post a picture of where the shroud attaches to the rad itself?  I suspect with a clip on the shroud and a receiving hole on the rad.   My left side plastics wiggle at 90kph+, and I think it's because I'm missing that mount / rad louver piece. 

15963740292359037966481859517615.jpg

Hi again Eric,

Ouch!  Yep that rad has had a bit of a doing over eh. 

Yes, that's my picture, but since then I've fitted a radiator brace, so a picture of that included in the installation is probably not going to help you that much.  And.... it's dark outside here in Thailand now, and we're in the middle of a fairly heavy rainstorm!  I'll get you a better picture tomorrow in the daylight.  I've also just had a look at the workshop manual, but it doesn't help that much really...  I remember when I fitted the Rad Brace, I had to dremel some of the plastic on the louvres to get it to fit over the long tubes that go across the front of the radiator and lock into the brace. 

I've been out and got a picture, but don't think it's going to help you that much, will try to get you a better one tomorrow.

Cheers. :cheers:

20200802_202710.jpg

1 hour ago, Eric Nolte said:

Even that gives me an idea of what to expect.   If you have any pictures of it apart that'd be great but even just as-is where the fairing attaches to the rad?

The first two were taken when I was fitting the rad guard...the last shows the place of the captive fastener

20130523_105458.jpg

20130523_110506.jpg

20150131_112534.jpg

• Helpful 1

Neil, -Thanks for helping out!  👍

Looking at the pictures, I didn't realise that the Flatlands was also a brace....(for some reason I thought it was just guarding / covering the front).   It's a nice piece of kit that!  -I bought a brace from Bikerzbits, and I'd say it's strong enough to withstand a reasonable knock, but as you can see from my picture it is purely a side impact brace, and doesn't have the shielding on the front for sticks etc poking holes in from the front, which that definitely does.  Nice.  Might have to upgrade in the future... :D

9 hours ago, Alan C said:

Nice.  Might have to upgrade in the future... :D

Many moons ago when you didn't get whacked for import duty I used to order stuff from CRF'sOnly, they did a promotion of the Flatlands rad guard and bash plate as a set. The bash plate has taken a beating and held up well, thankfully I haven't had to test out the strength of the rad guard 😉

The GPI website looks pretty sketchy, and resellers are marking the GPI rad at the same price as OEM after shipping for me.  Anyone ordered direct from GPI before?  It's out of China so I know it'll take a while to get here but their offering it shipped for $90 Cdn, half of OEM.

Eric,  Sorry, but I can't say one way or another.  Just looked at our 'local' online store here in Thailand, and an OEM Radiator runs at about 110 CDN, but then you'd have shipping on top of that, and possibly import duty as well.   In comparison, CRF's Only which is local to you has the OEM radiator for 145 CDN.  (in stock).

Think I'd be tempted to go for that one to at least get up and running without worrying about cooking anything with your existing rad not preforming as per spec.  

The GPi radiator looks OK, however if it does have that extra 40% capacity then its dimensions must be different somehow I'd think, - so you might have issues fitting a Brace / Guard of some sort in the future.... dunno, just a thought.  Details of the two websites below.

https://www.crfsonly.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/355_358_290_292/products_id/5849

https://bikerzbits.co.th/honda-crf-250l-radiator-19010-kzz-901.html

Hope you get sorted.

+1 for flatlands radiator guard (and skid plate). has saved me a few times from liquid disaster. if you ever upgrade your tank,  you will have to modify the guard some along the top edge for the after market tanks to fit but it's about 2 minutes with a cut off wheel.