Bad Sale

So I bought a 2010 crf250r for $2300 and thought I got a good deal. The only thing it needed was the rear wheel bearing replaced. So I only rode it for 10 minutes because I wanted to get started on the wheel bearing. Found out you had to get a special socket for the bearing retainer, so I was at a stand still till I ordered one. So the next day I decided to do an oil change and found a bunch or brass shavings in the filter. Should I pay another 2 grand to have this motor rebuilt or what should I do?

462178A7-02C1-4962-8107-A9211C4C6ED5.jpeg

4 hours ago, LukeNoland said:

Should I pay another 2 grand to have this motor rebuilt or what should I do?

then you'd have $4300 into the bike. it will never resale for that much. buy new filter, clean up, fix wheel bearing, sell.

Used 250F and used 125 smokers always the MOST thrashed on used bikes. Any 250F purchase should be a new one unless it's a Yamaha generally.

• Like 1
  • Helpful 2

8 hours ago, LukeNoland said:

I should leave out what I found right lol and it still fires right up

Or you could try being honest and just take a hit when you go to sell it... or just fix it, it may not be as bad as you think

• Like 17
  • Helpful 8

22 minutes ago, piltoyougram said:

If you choose to sell the bike be honest on what the problems are. Me I would rebuild the bike and no what I really had in the end. The joker who sold it to you wasn't up front on the problems. Don't choose to be the same. 

That’s kinda how I feel I don’t wanna put someone else in the same position and how har really is it to put a new bottom end in? And would it be best just to split it open myself to see what actually failed?

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, piltoyougram said:

If you have the tools and are choose to work on the bike yourself get a shop manual and go for it.

Also would it be a bad idea to ride it easy for like 20 minutes with the new filter and oil and see what the filter looks like after?

• Helpful 1

7 minutes ago, TX-SANDMAN said:

Very strange tear.

Like mentioned .... replace oil- oil filter and inspect clean-re oil air filter and ride it for 10 minutes then reinspect oil filter.

Think that’s what I’m gonna do and no I cut that little spot just to see haha not a tear my bad

1 hour ago, TX-SANDMAN said:

Very strange tear.

Like mentioned .... replace oil- oil filter and inspect clean-re oil air filter and ride it for 10 minutes then reinspect oil filter.

Also you could drain the oil through a coffee filter and check it.

Ya there is nothing moving inside the case where the oil filter goes and I agree that it is strange tear, I cant image how it would tear during install and can only guess the seller cut it open saw the crap and then put it back in and if that was the case I would be REALLY pissed cus he knew there was an issue and didn't tell you. The OP mostly can't take the bike back and get his $$$$ back but I'd be very tempted to confront the seller about it but at some point BUT.

Good luck to the OP and IMO crappy story and sorry :(

29 minutes ago, filterx said:

Also you could drain the oil through a coffee filter and check it.

Ya there is nothing moving inside the case where the oil filter goes and I agree that it is strange tear, I cant image how it would tear during install and can only guess the seller cut it open saw the crap and then put it back in and if that was the case I would be REALLY pissed cus he knew there was an issue and didn't tell you. The OP mostly can't take the bike back and get his $$$$ back but I'd be very tempted to confront the seller about it but at some point BUT.

Good luck to the OP and IMO crappy story and sorry :(

The OP already said he tore or cut the filter open like the pic shows.